Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is perpetual training hard on the body? page 2

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i dont know the scientific answer. apparently coffee shortens your telomores ( sp?) and alcohol lengthens them i was reading the other day so i am doomed anyways. i only go to the gym once a week and do really big weights. sometimes i get doms but generally i dont. things like my pecs usually hurt a bit but the rest of me is all good these days. even when i go up in what i can lift. none of the doms i have ever gotten has been crippling. just a bit stiff and once you start moving it either goes or you get to that nice feeling where it doesnt hurt but you can feel every movement. i reckon you could scale it back a bit and do lighter workouts the other days or one body part per gym session. i've never done a split program as it is not practicable to where i live. too much travelling to town. i still mess around with the dumbbells, clubbells and the barbell at home. but much lighter weights, higher volume. and i walk lots. i've prob only been doing the real heavy weights for 2+ years now vs lighter weights higher volume and/or chronic cardio. i'm still the same size, just buffer. my upper body strength has increased heaps so better for real life applications. in terms of unscientifically, i dont consider myself to overdo it overall. a lot of people think i do. but i look prob a good 5 years younger than i really am. my body isnt falling to pieces and i have far less general aches, pains and ailments than anyone i know in my age group. i can also do far more than most of them physically. so, unscientifically, i think moderation is the key but it is a relative word.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Is it healthy to do this forever? For a few years? How long? Does anyone know?
    cross posted with you. i think that would depend on so many variables but i always always say what i do needs to be maintainable. when i am 70 i will be able to do what i do now. and i look at it like that. plus if i am waking up in the morning and trying to get out of bed but feel like i am dying, it's not fun.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    The smartest answer besides "it depends" is to look at people who DO crazy hard work their whole lives. Remember all that buzz a few months ago about the Victorian era, and that generation who did crazy hard labor and grew taller, had better teeth and lived longer than the generation before or after? They were expending so much energy (like 3500 calories a day or something) that they were able to eat more and take in even more nutrients, goes one theory. Or maybe it was the higher rate of tissue turnover keeping them young.
    Or...

But we're not doing hard labor, we're just exercising once in awhile, so IDK!!!

Think about a crazy hard job you're had. The first few days give you such aches and pains, but by the end of week two you're throwing around 200-pound objects like chaff and talking and laughing while you do it. So maybe you should work out less frequently to heal, or maybe you should work out...more often so your body can fully adapt! Then take weekends off, planned days of rest, etc. so it's not chronic stress.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I guess my question is more along the lines of how healthy is it to remain in a state of perpetual training, where you are always creating the training stress and recovering from it. Is it healthy to do this forever? For a few years? How long? Does anyone know?
    I think that would be impossible to answer, there are far too many variables such as genetics etc. We all must know someone who smoked and drank heavily all their lives, did no real exercise and still lived to be close to a 100 and for everyone like that there is the health freak that dies at 50. In your particular case I'd say that you need more time between workouts, for any advice beyond that I'd just say do what you enjoy and don't worry about it.........after all we could get killed crossing the road tomorrow, [ LIFE IS BUT A BREATH ].

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i think it depends how much you buy into the 'any inflammation is bad inflammation' idea. i don't think being sore, but in an overall anabolic state (i.e. the majority of time, you're getting stronger/increasing mass) is bad. at all. i will edit this response with a link to a loooooong ass article about inflammation when i can find it (can't currently remember where i saw it!).

*edit: that didn't take long. here it is: http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_sullivan.pdf

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Pending between a catabolic and anabolic state is what life is all about; tissue turnover, energy in and energy out! And if our system becomes better in recovering from training or whatever then it must be healthy since it expands our limits, or at least it feel very healthy and that’s enough for me – rather an energetic life that feels good than a crappy inactive existence that perhaps can make you live a few years longer. But as good ol’ Aristotle said, the true art is to find the balance between extremes, the golden mean, and most people are exercising far too little to be really healthy in our days…

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i dont consider myself to overdo it overall. a lot of people think i do. but i look prob a good 5 years younger than i really am. my body isnt falling to pieces and i have far less general aches, pains and ailments than anyone i know in my age group. i can also do far more than most of them physically. so, unscientifically, i think moderation is the key but it is a relative word.
    Seas, this is what it's all about. You go, girl.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    I guess my question is more along the lines of how healthy is it to remain in a state of perpetual training, where you are always creating the training stress and recovering from it. Is it healthy to do this forever? For a few years? How long? Does anyone know?
    Do it 'til you die. THEN worry about it..

campeavy is offline Member
    An easy answer is to take a deload week, or just a week off in general. I'm not saying deload every other week, but depending on how you're feeling, this might be once a month or twice a year.
    M / 18 / 155 lbs / 5'9" / 12% BF

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think being sore all the time means you are doing something wrong hence my questions. I can't imagine continuing to do something that caused constant pain for very long. I don't believe it needs to hurt.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast