Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out my MEAT... Loaf that is! Come Share Your Recipes

Check out my MEAT... Loaf that is! Come Share Your Recipes

Shop Now
    Created this scrumptious recipe, seriously delicious - And I won't lie to you, I LOVE IT IN MUFFIN form! Mini Meatloaf muffins anyone?!?!

Check Out My Meat... Loaf That Is! - GiGi Eats Celebrities

What's included in your meatloaf recipe? I feel like you could do a kitchen sink meatloaf recipe, yeah?! Hope you enjoy!

I was watching cooks county another day, and one thing they advised is to bake the meatloaf without the pan, as the meatloaf then won't be sitting in its juices. I am going to try it the next time I make one. (Just shape the loaf like bread and bake that way on a roasting pan).

I make my all-purpose mix for any meat 'doughs' with aboout 4-5 lbs of mixed ground meats, 4 dry shitake mushrooms ground with a spice mix of peppers, cumin, coriander, fenugreek and fennel seeds, about a cup and a half of baked sweet potato, turnip, plantain or other starchy vegetable zooped in Magic Bullet with 2 eggs and half an onion and a few cloves of garlic.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I was watching cooks county another day, and one thing they advised is to bake the meatloaf without the pan, as the meatloaf then won't be sitting in its juices. I am going to try it the next time I make one. (Just shape the loaf like bread and bake that way on a roasting pan).
    That works really well.

I just make "anything" meatloaf. IOW, I use anything that's in the fridge. The basic is ground meat - I like a leaner ground meat in general. An egg or two. Then I mix in some spices, and whatever I've found in the fridge that looks good. That should do it, but if it seems too gooey, I'll add a tablespoon or two (one is usually enough) of gluten free AP flour. Make the football/bread shaped thingy on parchment paper in the bottom part of my broiler pan. A one pound meatloaf (I live alone) takes between 35 and 50 minutes.

One that I like and will actually go out of my way for the ingredients is with ground lamb as the meat. I put some cubed feta cheese in it and some tomatoes. Curry powder and sometimes cinnamon. When it's cooked, I pour some yogurt over it, turn off the oven and let it sit in there for another little bit 'til the yogurt is hot.

ETA: I used to think ground turkey was too dry for much of anything, but if you play with it a bit and add things like canned tomato, it can make good muffins or loaves.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 12-18-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

I make my all-purpose mix for any meat 'doughs' with aboout 4-5 lbs of mixed ground meats, 4 dry shitake mushrooms ground with a spice mix of peppers, cumin, coriander, fenugreek and fennel seeds, about a cup and a half of baked sweet potato, turnip, plantain or other starchy vegetable zooped in Magic Bullet with 2 eggs and half an onion and a few cloves of garlic.
    I definitely noticed my loaves sitting in their own juice, however, I sort of like that - makes them not so dry I will certainly try mixing in some sweet potato or butternut squash next go around! Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    That works really well.

I just make "anything" meatloaf. IOW, I use anything that's in the fridge. The basic is ground meat - I like a leaner ground meat in general. An egg or two. Then I mix in some spices, and whatever I've found in the fridge that looks good. That should do it, but if it seems too gooey, I'll add a tablespoon or two (one is usually enough) of gluten free AP flour. Make the football/bread shaped thingy on parchment paper in the bottom part of my broiler pan. A one pound meatloaf (I live alone) takes between 35 and 50 minutes.

One that I like and will actually go out of my way for the ingredients is with ground lamb as the meat. I put some cubed feta cheese in it and some tomatoes. Curry powder and sometimes cinnamon. When it's cooked, I pour some yogurt over it, turn off the oven and let it sit in there for another little bit 'til the yogurt is hot.

ETA: I used to think ground turkey was too dry for much of anything, but if you play with it a bit and add things like canned tomato, it can make good muffins or loaves.
    Exactly, I initially thought lean ground turkey was going to be bland and boring, but it didn't disappoint one bit, you just have to season it right! And I certainly need to make some meatloaf tonight as I have lots of left overs I need to use up! ha ha! I swear, it's like a "garbage disposal" meal!

One that I like and will actually go out of my way for the ingredients is with ground lamb as the meat.
    +1000 gr beef, pork and lamb is a great mix. I don't mind mixing turkey with beef.

I make mini cabbage rolls (steam cabbage leaves and cut them in triangles wherever they break to make spring-roll-sized rolls) with ground turkey w sesame oil, ginger, rasins and grated carrot. V. good with turkey.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

+1000 gr beef, pork and lamb is a great mix. I don't mind mixing turkey with beef.

I make mini cabbage rolls (steam cabbage leaves and cut them in triangles wherever they break to make spring-roll-sized rolls) with ground turkey w sesame oil, ginger, rasins and grated carrot. V. good with turkey.
    I have ALWAYS wanted to do cabbage rolls! That's on my to-do list

OOO yes! Caramelized onions, THE BEST

Shop Now
    I once made a meat roll recipe that was amazing. I made the meatloaf as normal, laid it out on a pan and flattened it into a sheet, put in freezer to let it stiffen a bit, took it out and sprinkled it with blanched spinach and cheese, rolled it up, cooked, then covered in tomato sauce.