Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone made HUGE life changes to become more simple/primal/happy? page

I_EAT_COWS is offline Member

Has anyone made HUGE life changes to become more simple/primal/happy?

Shop Now
    For example: selling the cars, renting out the house, and renting a room in a city so you only have to work doing things that interested you when you feel like it.

Maybe it's self indulgent, but I feel that Grok wouldn't have flourished on the treadmill that is a 9-5 job. Grok wouldn't have aspired to own mountains or lakes knowing he could enjoy them for free whenever he wanted. Maybe he would have worked to control and secure hunting grounds, but I doubt he would have done it 40 hours per week.

I know it's in our nature to be possessive and self-serving (and I'm not ashamed of that), but the vast quantities of posessions and tempations that fill our lives seem as non-primal as it gets, and something we definitely didn't evolve to cope with.

Has this crossed anyone else's mind? I'm captivated by the possibilities of what life could be like without being a slave to a schedule, a big box of possessions, a bundle of rights to some dirt, or a 'standard of living' that encourages us to live as servants during the week and kings on the weekend. We talk often about moving, eating, and sleeping primally, but what about living?

-iec

I was thinking about this just this morning. I was sitting on the tram reading Stranger in a Strange Land (thanks Mark S for the inspiration!), thinking about whether we really all could live in a big naked nest of 'growing closer' or whether we would have to go out and work jobs to find food at some point. Sadly in today's world, actually living like Grok and just 'working' when its time to hunt or gather simply isn't possible. There certainly aren't any gazelles roaming free for the picking in the playing fields near where I live.

However, it did have me seriously, and I do mean seriously this time, questioning the value of commuting to work every day to do a 9-5 job that capitalism tells me is important but my heart tells me otherwise. The problem is, I don't know what to do about it.
    Last edited by MightyWindmill; 12-17-2013 at 07:06 AM.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyWindmill View Post
    However, it did have me seriously, and I do mean seriously this time, questioning the value of commuting to work every day to do a 9-5 job that capitalism tells me is important but my heart tells me otherwise. The problem is, I don't know what to do about it.
    Not much. You have to eat, you have to have a place to live, you aren't going to be able to work and provide for yourself your entire life most likely. You can't be nomadic to realistically provide for all your food needs. You'll need a considerably fortune to get enough land to be able to provide for all your food needs, you'll need income to pay taxes on that land...
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I did not have a full time job until I was 32 or so. Now that I have one I find it makes it easy to be frugal. I save about 34% of my income in retirement plans. I hope to have a very small lifestyle in my retirement so that I can spend my time hiking long trails or following hikers and helping them out with rides and food and generally seeing the American wilderness. But for now I just work and live surrounded by what looks like a scene from Hoarders.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    I didn't make any life change to become more Grok-like. However, my husband and I live fairly simply and are not afraid to step out and do things differently even if it's counter-culture. For example, we recently moved with our kids from the DC area to California. My husband wanted to live near the beach, and I certainly didn't mind the idea! So he got a job, thank God, and we moved. Now we live in a much smaller place but it's in a quiet town right near the beach. He makes MUCH LESS money and I'm home with the kids for the next year or so. It's a sacrifice in some ways but it's forced us to simplify and enjoy the little things - cause we can't afford the big things!! ;-) LOL! So there won't be very many Christmas presents this year but that's ok! It's mid-December and I can hang with my kids at the playground in shorts and a t-shirt. For me, that's priceless and well-worth the other "sacrifices". We are people of faith. We asked God to open this door. He did. And here we are. Not sure about the whole Grok thing but I'm a huge fan of living a simple life, outside of the box and enjoying life. ;-)

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    To the OP, you would be intrigued by the blog, Mr. Money Mustache. It is all about strategies for early retirement. Less about extreme frugality than about making choices that matter and finding ways to get off of the commute to a cubicle treadmill.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I would but I have to take care of the fam. Gotta make money not for me but for others.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    To the OP, you would be intrigued by the blog, Mr. Money Mustache.
    Or the Moneyless Manifesto which is about a guy who has gone the whole hog with this. Its a bit much for me, but interesting reading.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I have downsized and simplified in relation to the woman around me, since I years ago realized that younger woman are far less expensive and materialistic than those over thirty! They are also generally less frustrated and happier with their lives as long as they are treated well, so I sponsor gym membership and a few other benefits to my closest office assistants and secretary to keep them lean and physically in shape...

I_EAT_COWS is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyWindmill View Post
    I was thinking about this just this morning. I was sitting on the tram reading Stranger in a Strange Land (thanks Mark S for the inspiration!), thinking about whether we really all could live in a big naked nest of 'growing closer' or whether we would have to go out and work jobs to find food at some point. Sadly in today's world, actually living like Grok and just 'working' when its time to hunt or gather simply isn't possible. There certainly aren't any gazelles roaming free for the picking in the playing fields near where I live.

It's very hard to even imagine going against our cultural norms when it comes to big stuff like having a house, car, career, etc., and it seems like virtually no one is willing to discuss anything other than reasons why you CAN'T do anything other than what everyone else is doing. I find this both frustrating and disturbing. Even on this website, people often have a 'you can't do that so don't bother discussing it or trying' attitude unless it's what this group has accepted as a new normal.

I've been obsessing on this idea off and on since I was a teenager, and I think there are lots of ways you can change your life. Look at all of the real world examples of people who have more free time:

-Slacker punk rocker dude who sleeps on couches and plays in a band. Is his life all that bad??
    -Vagabonder who lives like a monk and saves all his money for extended frugal globetrotting.
    -Teleworker who moves to a very cheap location or buys a trailor and lot for $20k and has it paid off within a year - then switches to part time telework because his montly bills are like $200.
    -Bartenders and wait staff who work 20-30 hours per week and get by just fine.

Ultimately, it's our societal norms and cultural expectations that bind us. I feel that full time work is like a prison sentence, but I acknowledge that the real prison is my own mind keeping me from walking out of my cubicle. That is why I'm talking about it, and why I keep saving and studying all I can about finance and real estate. I don't want to be a freeloader, but I don't feel like I owe my life and soul to the capitalist machine, either.

-iec

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast