Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (DeniseB) page

DeniseB is offline Member

Exclamation Primal Journal (DeniseB)

Shop Now
    Thirty days of tracking...This should be interesting. Maybe all this cooking and prepwork will keep me off the computer longer!

Grocery day is tomorrow, so I have to get my menu made for the next two weeks. That should be interesting since the House Mouse is definitely against all vegetables or healthy foods of any kind.

Today is planned - for me at least, and she (HM^) will eat it, say it's good, and then complain that she doesn't like this or that. I don't tell her she has to eat it, but do say that it's healthy.

B: 3 egg omelet with mushrooms, onions, and jalapeno peppers, salmon patties, corn beef hash

L: Steamed mussels, kale, vegatable soup, flax focaccia bread with almond butter/coconut oil blend

S: Greek yogurt, lychee, & blueberries

D: Grilled steak, sauteed onions & mushroom, steamed kale & brussels sprouts with ghee

L: No lunch - I slept all day since I was up all night reading Primal eating stuff, and where to get started. Still wondering about rice and beans, but will get to that, I suppose.

D: Cup of hot tea (straight up, nothing added), black beans & brown rice with diced tomatoes and ground sausage, side of brussels sprouts. I could have gotten by without the sausage, but felt like I needed more meat. It certainly wasn't the best choice (IMO), but tomorrow is grocery day, and the freezer is looking a bit empty.

S: focaccia flax bread with almond butter/coconut oil blend and 1 tsp non-HFCS grape jam

As for exercise, I haven't found much that I can do with being in a wheelchair - I can stand, but can't walk without fallng over, so I do squats (up to 20 so far, which is a lot more than what I could do when I first landed in this wheelchair), pushups (getting up off the floor is harder than it seems), and seated rowing with a band. There are no local gyms where I live, so I'm going to have to invest in a set of weights.

Edit: Didn't do pushups today. I added another set of band rowing and leg lifts. No cartilage makes it hard to lift my legs - and my hip joints are flattened out, and bone-against-bone, so lifting my legs hurt, (not in a good way), but I broke a sweat, so I guess that's good. lol

Outdoors - it's a rough terrain here, and I've dumped myself out of my wheelchair more than a few times, so I plan on driving into town twice a week to the park and wheel around the track. I think it's a mile-long circle, but I need to get in more exercise.

Edited: This would be easier if there was a strikethrough, or maybe there is, but I can't find it?
    Last edited by DeniseB; 12-17-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Denise! I am impressed with your exercise plans. What are your health goals?
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Hi Pebbles,
    I need to lose about 60lbs, lower my cholesterol, triglycerides, and bp, and get back in shape! I've been weaning myself off the bread, and don't have that wheat craving anymore, so now I'm working on giving up sugar. I'd love to go total paleo, but the House Mouse won't have it. We divide grocery buying, and tomorrow is her day She lives on processed everything that I could live very well without. (Her too, but she won't listen!) I'll be sliding in lots of vegetables and planning around her!

I was in bed by 10:30 and woke at 2:00 feeling starved, so I had a 3"x3" slice of flax focaccia bread with 2 T. almond butter/coconut oil blend. It's just 3.5 hrs later now, and I feel this urge to eat meat (weird), so am heading outside to forage. (The refrigerator & freezer are in the unheated sunroom, and it's 40F. ) I think I'll kill the ribeye this morning and serve it up with some scrambled eggs and salsa.

Lunch is uncertain yet. I'm hoping to get done in town before lunch so I won't be tempted to grab anything, but if not, I'll go have steak fajitas at the Mexican restuarant, sans the wraps, beans, and rice.

I've already done my exercise this morning (seated zumba), but will be "race walking" from my WC today, while I try to keep up with the House Mouse at the grocery store. I will count that as part of my paleo movement!

Breakfast - 5 bites of cinnamon bun and coffee - I know, I know! Rotten food. Believe me, it didn't take me long to feel the effects, but I never did kill that steak, so I ended up getting jittery and needed something quick. I'm well aware that I tend to pass out if I don't eat at least two hours after I wake up. Now if I can just keep my meals planned, and food prepared for when I don't feel like cooking, I won't have that problem. 0_0

Lunch was steak and shrimp covered in hot sauce, and a lettuce/tomato/guacamole salad at the Mexican restaurant. I had no wraps, no chips, and I pushed the rice aside too. The hot sauce blistered my mouth and lips, and there was NO warning on the menu (or by the waitress), so I'll stick to wrap-less fajitas the next time I eat Mexican!

I stopped at the roadside vegetable stand and loaded up on greens (mustard, turnips, kale, spinach, Napa cabbage, and red cabbage), parsnips, bell peppers, spaghetti squash, grass-fed whole milk with cream on the top, a pint of half-and-half with cream on the top, 2 lbs. of grass-fed butter, bananas, kiwi, and apricots. Thank goodness for Mennonites! I just wish they sold meat too!

At the grocery store, I picked up 4lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breast, 2 lbs each of labeled "All natural, no additives" ground beef and pork to make sausage patties tomorrow. I wanted the grass-fed bison, but passed since it was $8 for 1 lb. Sea scallops were 1 lb for $15, so I left that on the shelf too, but there's a local fishery that I plan on checking out later next week. I didn't buy any eggs today either, and I'm out, but I could not find any Omega-3 eggs. I'll check another grocery store tomorrow since I have to go in the opposite direction.

I also bought a large dry-erase calendar to put in the kitchen so I can plan out my meals. I could use reminders of what I need to eat since I don't really care for meat, which is kind of strange since I grew up on a farm, and we'd always butchered our own cows, hogs, and chickens. Maybe it was moving away from home and then miles away to where I didn't have access to the "real" food I'd grown up on, or going into work full time and then being so tired at the end of the day that I just didn't feel like cooking. I spent many a weekend baking and freezing casseroles, which were mostly high-carb/high-starch, so I think getting back into buying local from the organic sources I know of will help.

I didn't have any dinner.

I've been up since 5:00, and had 6.5 hours of sleep. I feel rested, which is a term I haven't used in at least a couple of years. Must have been a combination of the extra protein I had yesterday and all the exerise I got. I'm still feeling the effects of the seated race-walking I did. Seriously - y'all get a heavy office chair with wheels, and drag yourselves around for a couple of hours. HA! My glutes are aching - as is my left hip, which is the weaker of the two, so I have to go easy today. I'll get plenty of arm use once I hit the kitchen and start cooking.

I'm not very hungry, but after that serious cheat yesterday, I chunked up a pear, sprinkled it with nutmeg and Chinese 5-Spice, fried it in coconut oil, then finished cooking it in water. I also had 1/2 a slice of a small pumpernickel roll grilled with grass-fed butter. Going primal is going to be a learning thing here, and I do like bread, so I decided I would limit myself rather than feeling deprived.

Anyhow, as soon as I get back from town, I'll be cooking up a batch of pork/hamburger sausage with onions, smoked paprika, and Chinese 5-spice. I'm also going to make some baked scotch eggs minus the breadcrumbs. Those just look so darn good, and what a great thing to carry with you when you're dashing out the door!

I'm also making some turnip salad today, roasting up some onions and parsnips, and lighting the grill to cook the chicken breasts I bought yesterday.

Oh, and I topped my coffee off with non-homogenized, additive-free, real half-and-half this morning. Real cream - Haven't had it since I left the farm 32 years ago! YUM!

Off to get started on my day.

Finishing up the scotch eggs. House Mouse is impressed. =D Everything else is ready to go except for the chicken. I really didn't feel like bothering with it today, so tomorrow, it's on.

As I mentioned earlier, breakfast was a pear, sprinkled it with nutmeg and Chinese 5-Spice, fried it in coconut oil, then finished cooking it in water. I also had 1/2 a slice of a small pumpernickel roll grilled with grass-fed butter.

Lunch was a chicken pot pie.

Snack: Ice cream in a waffle cone - Last one of the year. I rarely eat ice cream, so I don't count it as a "cheat." It's a definite treat for me!

Dinner: Baked cod, greek yogurt with dill for the dip, cabbage and turnip slaw made with olive oil mayo.

Definitely feel full, which is saying something, because I am always looking for something to snack on later. I think I'll stick with a cup of green tea and lemon this evening.

I am hurting more than usual today. It was a literal PIA to get in and out of my car and deal with loading/unloading the wheelchair. The sciatic nerve is wanting to act up, so I'll do some very light stretching once I get into bed. It may be a Biofreeze night.

In bed at 10:30 last night, and up at midnight. I had a glass of 1/2 eggnog: 1/2 whole milk, and then back to bed and woke up at 8:00. Still sore. Pre-breakfast snack: 1 homemade beef/pork sausage patty.

1 set of 12 leg lifts, 25 squats, 1 set of 12: arm lifts with band, 2 sets of 12: rowing with the band.

Breakfast: 1 over-medium egg fried real butter, 1-4" link of Kielbasa sausage, 1/2 cup of Fage yogurt with added probiotics, 1/2 a banana. Coffee - 2 cups with 1 TBS whole milk, cream included half-n-half.

I decided this morning to opt out of eating standard commercialized bread - even after stating yesterday that I was going to stick with the pumpernickel. I've been making the Dukan Galette made with egg, Fage, and gluten-free oat bran for the past year at least once a week. According to Dr. Dukan, one is supposed to eat that every day. Anyhow, I've noticed that my bread craving seems to lessen when I do eat it, so once a day will be an n=1 experiment.

It's time to break out the grill for the chicken. I also need to get out the salad bowl and put together a BAS for lunch. Greens, artichoke hearts, small, boiled brussels sprouts.

I haven't cooked those parsnips yet. According to NutritionData.com, they are 91% carb, which is, I think, way too much for me. House Mouse may get some benefit from them though, since she needs to gain weight, so I'll throw those in a foil pack with some garlic and onion rings when I put the chicken on the grill.

Edit: Additional exercise: 1 set of 12 leg lifts, 20 squats, 2 sets of 20 rowing with the band, 5 times pulling myself up the WC ramp, twice across the yard (grass section)- 128 feet.

So, at lunch, I added a red bell pepper and chopped walnuts to my salad. Topped with 2 tsp. raspberry vinaigrette.

Dinner was 6 meatballs with another BAS.

Snack: 2"x1" slice of Flax Focaccia bread with 1 tsp. real butter.

Coffee today ended up being 4 cups (at 2 cup servings -- travel mug) with 2 TBS real cream half-n-half in both.

It's 1:38am, and I'm still coming off that caffiene, so 2 cups, I can handle and get a good night's sleep.
    Last edited by DeniseB; 12-20-2013 at 10:56 PM.

I was up at 8:00 this moring after not being able to sleep well last night. The clock read 5:12 when I last looked at it. I took a 3.5 hour nap from 11-2:30 and even felt like I had enough energy to do my workouts.

Breakfast: Dukan galette (egg/yogurt/oat bran pancake) with blueberries, 2 homemade sausage patties (half beef/half pork), 1 cup coffee, black.

Lunch: small salad (spinach, bell pepper, artichoke hearts, walnuts), boiled egg

Exercise - 2 sets of 12 leg lifts, 30 squats (3 sets of 10 with a count of 5 in between), 2 sets of 20 rowing with the band. 2 sets of 12 bi/tri workouts with the band.

Snack: 1 cup coffee, black

Edit: Snack: 1 cup eggnog. Zomg, that stuff is so good. Definitely fattening though, so I'm glad it's only around once a year. lol

Dinner: Baked cod topped with 1 TBS coconut oil, and 1 cup shredded cabbage topped with 1 TBS coconut oil.

I have a slight headache. Not sure if it's from lack of caffiene today, which is probable since I've only had 2 cups instead of my "regular" 2-2 cup servings, or if it's from a lack of fat? Can one even get a headache from the lack of fat? IDK. I do know I just felt like taking a swig of coconut oil straight from the bottle, but House Mouse would have probably had an apoplectic fit! =D
    Last edited by DeniseB; 12-21-2013 at 04:13 PM.

In bed at 1:15am, up at 8:00. I am awake and alert.

I've been wondering what CrossFit moves were, and if I could even do any, so after checking the website, I did 5 deep squats last night as an experiment before I got into bed. I was surprised that I was able to do them. I haven't even tried once to do deep squats since having to start using this wheelchair, (5 years) so was a bit nervous that I'd either get stuck (literally), or that a hip would slide out of joint. My calves hurt this morning, as well as hip joints, but the bone-on-bone parts don't hurt - just the tendons that were stretched. I may try a few more today.

Pre-breakfast (while foraging): 1 boiled egg, 1/2 large banana
    Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in EEVO, 1-0.034lb. braised med-rare flank steak, 1.5 sweet potato patty
    Working on 2 cups black coffee

Edit:
    Exercise: 10 women's pushups, 2 sets of 12 leg lifts, 20 squats, 2 set of 12: arm lifts with band, 2 sets of 20: rowing with the band.

Lunch: BAS (spinach, bok choy, steamed brussels sprouts, red bell pepper, (2) 2" turnip roots, 1 homemade 1/2 beef / 1/2 pork sausage, 1 cup whole fat milk with cream with 1 cup eggnog

Took a 2 hour nap.

Dinner: 1/2 cup Fage, 1/2 med. banana

Exercise: 1 set of 12 reps using resistant band for the delts.

Coffee and grass-fed butter sounds good right now, but I'll live with water for the rest of the evening.
    Last edited by DeniseB; 12-27-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast