Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rice Pancakes vs. Wheat Pancakes page

venfayon is offline Member

Rice Pancakes vs. Wheat Pancakes

Primal Fuel
    Last edited by venfayon; 03-11-2014 at 10:44 PM.

We use arrowhead mills gluten free pancake mix when we're in the mood for pancakes or waffles

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    There are gluten free flour mixes that are usually blends of tapioca flour, potato starch, rice flour and/or corn starch or you can make your own blend. I make pancakes maybe once a month or less on Sunday mornings and I don't worry about. I don't like associate food with cheating. Life is too short not to occasionally eat a food that will not poison you. A gluten free pancake with some fresh berries on top and a couple of eggs is pretty killer.

When making gluten free pancakes, add an extra egg or two to your mix to make it a little more tender.

Some people like to mix eggs and banana for pancakes.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Here is what I do regularly for my 5-yr old:

one egg
    1-2 T applesauce
    1-3 T milk
    2-3 T almond flour (sometimes ground flax or mix)
    dash of vanilla
    dash of cinnamon

All amounts by feel and approximate to get the right batter texture. I would err on the side of smaller pancakes as sometimes it doesn't hold together like a classic pancake.

As far as presentation goes, I use blueberries, raisins, and dried mango as decorations to make fish, dog heads, turtles, snowmen, etc. I am becoming quite accomplished in the decoration realm, at least in the uncritical eyes of my daughter and wife (though today I did get a complaint: "that's a fat fish pancake. I wanted a skinny fish" Yeah, whatever).

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Look up Stephan Guyenets receipe for buckwheat pancakes. They're really good, but require somework to go into it and planning.

Primaholic is offline Junior Member
    I'd rather have....no pancakes.

You should consider one of banana/egg pancakes -- its recipe is likely to float around a primal/paleolithical community and around the internet. It comprises of mainly 1 banana and two eggs -- simple, gluten-free, AND naturally sweet.
    Male|18|5'8|155-160 lbs|University of Florida

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primaholic View Post
    You should consider one of banana/egg pancakes
    Ditto, flat things don't need gluten for rise so any starchy substance will work--chestnuts, plantains, squashes, sweet potatoes
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    Green plantains are my favourite. Best pancakes I've ever had!

Perfect Paleo Pancakes The Paleo Mom

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primaholic View Post
    I'd rather have....no pancakes.

You should consider one of banana/egg pancakes -- its recipe is likely to float around a primal/paleolithical community and around the internet. It comprises of mainly 1 banana and two eggs -- simple, gluten-free, AND naturally sweet.
    Yeah, we use a 1:1 ratio, and it works for us. The only problem is that it doesn't have the same structural integrity that a wheat pancake does, so we've devolved into cooking them as muffins instead.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yeah, we use a 1:1 ratio, and it works for us. The only problem is that it doesn't have the same structural integrity that a wheat pancake does, so we've devolved into cooking them as muffins instead.
    If your cupboard is weird like mine, a dab of acorn starch is a great cohesive for these. Supposedly nut butter and ground chia work too.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast