Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon now there must be more to discuss ??? page 5

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    So there ya go. A new point of debate. Can you think of particular exercises that are ill equipped to be performed in the standard "strength" rep ranges. Which ones benefit from a change in our standard approach?
    forearms and calves are the 2 that jump right out to me. if you think about it, we perform thousands of calf raises every day with our own bodyweight. they need far different strategies to shock in to growing
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    So there ya go. A new point of debate. Can you think of particular exercises that are ill equipped to be performed in the standard "strength" rep ranges. Which ones benefit from a change in our standard approach?
    Biceps curls, LTE's, good mornings, and anything else that requires you to create a moment arm as a necessary part of loading the exercise. Because the heavier they get, the more you'll cheat and defeat the purpose.
    The Champagne of Beards

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever tried push ups using intentions ?
    Linkie for the explanation? Can't find immediately apparent explanation on the web.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Sonoran hotdog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Aren't you guys training flexibilty at all? Stretches? Yoga? What about the saying that you'll get stiff and less flexible over time? wouldn't want to miss my stretching and Yoga Is it just a girls thing??
    I have been doing 15 minutes of yoga every morning for many years, so not just a girls thing. I do it to keep my low back from re-injury, and to keep my muscles from shortening as I've aged (I'm 60 yo). In particular the hamstrings are difficult to keep loose without stretching, particularly if you run regularly.

I also do some abs work as part of my morning yoga (boat pose). I hold this for roughly two minutes while I do feet/toe exercises.

The most important part of my morning yoga is a half-dozen or so solar salutations. Thousands of years of yoga practice have determined that this is a great way to warm up in the morning, and it works for me.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Linkie for the explanation? Can't find immediately apparent explanation on the web.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    forearms and calves are the 2 that jump right out to me. if you think about it, we perform thousands of calf raises every day with our own bodyweight. they need far different strategies to shock in to growing
    Both the wrists and soleus have a very high percentage of slow switch muscle fibers so they are better stimulated by higher reps lower weights and shorter rest periods.

But that's only if you believe in that science mumbo jumbo

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Both the wrists and soleus have a very high percentage of slow switch muscle fibers so they are better stimulated by higher reps lower weights and shorter rest periods.

But that's only if you believe in that science mumbo jumbo
    science or not, it always just seemed more common sense than anything. i never beat my calves up with low rep stuff before, but i do enjoy some heavy/low rep work on the CoC grippers and when doing things like plate pinches and picking up odd objects
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    ^Yeah, thats been my understanding as well Iron Will. Of course then we are thinking fiber recruitment theory. Does a max load, or at least a load in which you would reach failure in 8 reps or less (maybe under 90 seconds for the time under tension crowd) not recruit all fibers regardless of if they are primarily slow or fast twitch? I know I'm just nitpicking here, but the title of the thread dictates that I do so

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    science or not, it always just seemed more common sense than anything. i never beat my calves up with low rep stuff before, but i do enjoy some heavy/low rep work on the CoC grippers and when doing things like plate pinches and picking up odd objects
    Exactly look at the guys who have the best calve development. Cyclists and rugby players are two that I can think of right off the top of my head.

Kettle bells with those wool glove inserts are insane for wrist strength too but as I posted before I'm going to check out Indian Clubs as well they're supposed to really work grip strength. Plus they look pretty bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Exactly look at the guys who have the best calve development. Cyclists and rugby players are two that I can think of right off the top of my head.

Kettle bells with those wool glove inserts are insane for wrist strength too but as I posted before I'm going to check out Indian Clubs as well they're supposed to really work grip strength. Plus they look pretty bad ass.
    anything with gloves on will work the grip bigtime. jed over at diesel crew talked about that years and years ago. ever trying to deadlift with a pair of winter gloves on will definitely improve your grip.

i had thought about indian clubs a while ago, but never pulled the trigger on buying some. where are you thinking about buying them from?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast