Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 99

Thread: C'mon now there must be more to discuss ??? page 2

  1. #11
    OneDeltaTenTango's Avatar
    OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    916
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Thought there should be a "serious" discussion going on here?!?!?
    For sure, I'm not as experienced as you are, but I was looking foward to at least trying to "discuss"...but that doesn't seem to happen
    Ok, ok. Here is a question on prioritizing time investment in a time limited world. My 'gym' is my house and yard equipped with pull up bar, squat stands that work for squats, OH press, and Bench press. I have been following starting strength for several months after a few years of body weight work, all a bit on and off. Due to job, travel, family demands, it is hard to get bigger blocks of uninterrupted time for workouts. I find that the SS workouts take a long time, between warm up sets and recovery between work sets. While I would be happy with some improvement in lifting numbers, at the end of the day (and at 55 years old) I would be satisfied with strength maintenance and wouldn't mind leaning out slightly (currently 5'8" 162). I am generally active most days (walking, playing with kid, skiing) and sprint occasionally (harder to pull off in the winter).

    What would a more time efficient protocol be that would be effective at helping me meet my goals that would also be safe (given that I don't have a full squat rack)?

  2. #12
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,757
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Aren't you guys training flexibilty at all? Stretches? Yoga? What about the saying that you'll get stiff and less flexible over time?
    wouldn't want to miss my stretching and Yoga Is it just a girls thing??
    Well I wouldn't want you to feel ganged up on with this one

    Many would argue that performing strength training through a full ROM is better for the joints and mobility than any static stretching program. In fact there has been much debate in the biomechanics field especially in regards to back pain. It seems stretching the hamstrings and associated muscle does not lead to less frequent back injury. Its relative spinal stabilizer muscle ENDURANCE strength that is most correlative. In fact one study showed that males able to hold a side plank for longer than 83 seconds (and females for sixty something) where at the lowest risk of having low back pain. Static stretching prior to strength training was also shown to reduce total strength on the performed exercises vs not stretching prior to doing those same exercises.

    K there ya go.... some super cereal discussion for ya

  3. #13
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,757
    And for some other discussion I am also in the non-programmed program group right now. That is I have the very loosest definition of a "program". Its very ....oh whats that guys name..... ahhh Art Devany? The randomness of it.

    So when I go in I know I'm gonna do the following: A compound leg, compound pull, and a coumpound push. I just have no idea which ones or if I'm going for a set of 3 reps or a set of 12 until after I change into my workout clothes. Then I take an inventory of what I did last couple workouts and just make sure I'm doing some different stuff this time....

    So last workout was: Romanian dead lift, weighted dips, weighted chins, curls, tricep pushdowns, and lateral delt machine. All done in the "get swolled" rep range of about 8-12 reps and many of them with drop sets.

    Course next time I'm thinking: Leg Press, standing press, dumbell rows, flys, myotic crunch, leg curls, maybe some chopping motions too. First three done in the 3-6 rep range adn last 3 in the 6-10 probably.

    No rest between exercises (or least less than a minute)

    Then I may or may not do a third workout this week. I will definitely do one or two HIIT days though. If I do them on non lift days I'll do 8-10 sets of 20/40....or I'll run straight to them right after my last lift and do only 4-6 sets on lift days.

    Hahah....the only think I track is every couple or few weeks I tend to do my 3-5 rep maxes with standing press, weighted dips, weighted chins, and deadlifts. As you can see this week I get to see what my standing press is
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-16-2013 at 01:13 PM.

  4. #14
    gergirl's Avatar
    gergirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well I wouldn't want you to feel ganged up on with this one

    Many would argue that performing strength training through a full ROM is better for the joints and mobility than any static stretching program. In fact there has been much debate in the biomechanics field especially in regards to back pain. It seems stretching the hamstrings and associated muscle does not lead to less frequent back injury. Its relative spinal stabilizer muscle ENDURANCE strength that is most correlative. In fact one study showed that males able to hold a side plank for longer than 83 seconds (and females for sixty something) where at the lowest risk of having low back pain. Static stretching prior to strength training was also shown to reduce total strength on the performed exercises vs not stretching prior to doing those same exercises.
    Know this points of discussion..but Yoga and stretching are about breathing, too. And breathing conciously is important for lifting, too.Isn't it? My Yoga isn't really static, it's a more dynamic flow.
    I'm off from acertain programme, too. Right now I feel more motivated to switch between exercises and the kinds of workout. It's more like cycling the body parts and exercises on aregular basis during the week than having a real plan of how much weight and reps...I'm just not the programme type when it comes to training.

  5. #15
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Aren't you guys training flexibilty at all? Stretches? Yoga? What about the saying that you'll get stiff and less flexible over time?
    wouldn't want to miss my stretching and Yoga Is it just a girls thing??
    People who like stretching for its own sake are a rare breed indeed.

  6. #16
    gergirl's Avatar
    gergirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    People who like stretching for its own sake are a rare breed indeed.
    ater a long day at work or a good workout...helps me to calm down and I do a different kind of stretching, which makes me feel relaxed and activated at the same time. Just a few exercises to fininsh workout and makes it feel complete.

  7. #17
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,757
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Know this points of discussion..but Yoga and stretching are about breathing, too. And breathing conciously is important for lifting, too.Isn't it? My Yoga isn't really static, it's a more dynamic flow.
    I'm off from acertain programme, too. Right now I feel more motivated to switch between exercises and the kinds of workout. It's more like cycling the body parts and exercises on aregular basis during the week than having a real plan of how much weight and reps...I'm just not the programme type when it comes to training.
    Well yoga as a dynamic flow and with specific cues to breath is meditation in motion and much more akin to dynamic stretching than the static stretch sect. Your original question though eluded to becoming stiff if you don't "stretch" and I find that highly unlikely when utilizing full ROM lifts like deep squats, overhead press, chins, rows, lunges, ect.....

    I think the benefits found in yoga are real, and are really more closely related to both its meditative value and by virtue of creating strength in an elongated state. This sort of strength is also necessary for stability. So yes yoga as isometric work, balance, and meditation is an excellent adjunct to any program IMO. Just pointing out that it isn't the "stretch" part that is all that beneficial.

  8. #18
    Iron Will's Avatar
    Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver B.C
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Aren't you guys training flexibilty at all? Stretches? Yoga? What about the saying that you'll get stiff and less flexible over time?
    wouldn't want to miss my stretching and Yoga Is it just a girls thing??
    I decided I'm going to learn how to use Indian Clubs to help with mobility, stretches and grip strength. I also do full body mobility (pre) and full body stretches (post) every time I work out. I would love to do more yoga but time is short unfortunately. Since I've incorporated mobility and stretches I've never felt better! This old body gets its share of aches and pains.

  9. #19
    edennperez1's Avatar
    edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    I haven't really trained abs much as I think they kind of get worked but as an experiment I have been trying this T NATION | Heavy Ab Training as seen in the second clip. It's hard work but am I wasting my time? I have just started 1st cycle of 5/3/1 with BBB for assistance.
    I would REALLY love people's thoughts on isolated ab exercises. Meaning, intentionally working the abs separately from the work they get in compound exercises. I'm new to powerlifting and work with a trainer. We do an ab accessory exercise probably about once a week. But I'm recently coming from a CW place where in the past I worked my abs at the end of every group fitness class or regularly on my own. I wouldn't say I feel like they look/feel any differently either way (still have weight to lose to expose the six pack!). Its just hard to re-train my mind to believe that the compound exercises are all I need for my abs. Or that once a week is good enough. Is that even true? Thoughts?

  10. #20
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's just a matter of priorities. If strength is what is important to you, you do powerlifting, and you prioritize that, using other types of exercise to enhance it (or at least not work against it).

    If you decide you want to prioritize stretching and see what you can achieve, the place to ask for help is not on a forum where no one has ever heard of stretching for its own sake and they definitely don't approve.

    The key word here is "contortionism". Look it up and find a coach in your area to help you with it.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •