Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: C'mon now there must be more to discuss ??? page 10

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I have 2 gyms:

-The home one is pretty much straight out of Rocky IV, the Siberian part It is built on the second floor of my horse stable, so it is usually cold and smells like hay. It is a used Smith machine, Atlas balls, and a bench made from whisky barrel wood....so frigid, hay, and Tennessee whisky is what you get/

- In the town I work I have a HUGE gym that is not a chain, but has a sort of resort-feel to it. It is $100 a month without discounts (I get it for a quarter of that), and is in fact 3 or 4 gyms in one....we have a "silent gym" with no TV's, no talking or music, that tends to collect old ladies and women that like rolling around on inflated rubber spheres....then a more Globo-gym area, but with a lot of pretty nice equipment. A lot of free weights, then a ton of video game looking cardio machines that I tend to stay a long way from.....but then there is the "warehouse gym" that has 6 oly pads, ropes, Prowler sled, pullup cage, squat racks, boxes for jumps, etc. They host Strongman comps down there from time to time.

That warehouse area is the best gym space I have ever been to in my life, and that is including about 14 cities, 3 school gyms, and 2 university athletic gyms for football....good music that anyone can control like a rolling jukebox, people that actually know how to spot without coddling me or getting a barbell to the neck, overall an amazing place. I never knew how much a good facility could do for my training until I started going there.

@ SB
    At one college gym I went to, a group of guys would literally pull up their shirts and DANCE in front of the free weight mirrors....I actually became friends with a guy I still talk to from that school, all because he told a guy one day that if he lifted his shirt up again in front of the mirror he was going to beat him into a pulp and have me (a bystander having never met him) record it on his iphone....so yeah, glad to be done with that
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    And it looks like we've found the location for IdioCon 2014. Dr. Laz's house.
    The Champagne of Beards

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    And it looks like we've found the location for IdioCon 2014. Dr. Laz's house.
    well, me and mrs rug are in. I haven't been to vermont in a while

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    @ SB
    At one college gym I went to, a group of guys would literally pull up their shirts and DANCE in front of the free weight mirrors....I actually became friends with a guy I still talk to from that school, all because he told a guy one day that if he lifted his shirt up again in front of the mirror he was going to beat him into a pulp and have me (a bystander having never met him) record it on his iphone....so yeah, glad to be done with that
    I find this kind of stuff rather amusing. I have not seen anyone quite pull up their shirt but plenty of people check themselves out all the time. The bonus is that they are fairly good looking and the women are really good looking.

The only gym I've been able to find similar to your warehouse gym costs $70 a month. That would make it more than $50 a month more than what I pay now and a lot less convenient. Since I can actually do squats, bench, press and deadlift at my gym, I can't justify the extra money for an entertainment-free workout.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    My gym is really good. We have 4 squat racks and a monolift for people to squat. All sorts of different bars. Many bars. Ton of plates, both bumper and metal. We have a dumbbell set and a lot of kettlebells, wall balls and slam balls. There is a handy lift for when you are loading deadlifts that makes it easier to load.

Plus our coach is really good. It's $100 a month.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    My gym is really good. We have 4 squat racks and a monolift for people to squat. All sorts of different bars. Many bars. Ton of plates, both bumper and metal. We have a dumbbell set and a lot of kettlebells, wall balls and slam balls. There is a handy lift for when you are loading deadlifts that makes it easier to load.

Plus our coach is really good. It's $100 a month.
    Yeah, Crossfits usualy have a lot of good equipment. If the one near me had more open gym time and wasn't so expensive, I'd probably join. My gym's alright, but there's only one good barbell. A lady was throwing it on the ground one day as part of her circuit, and I was not happy, to say the least.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Shocking day today! So i had Christmas lunch with the team from work today, and it was workout day so i couldnt fit in my usual 12.30 workout so i decided i would go tommorow and just alter the schedule a bit this week. It derailed me so hard, have been eating non primal food all day, feel like crap and sabotaged my leaning out and definitley wont feel like a workout tommorow so i am planning on reseting for Monday to get back to routine. Hate when life gets in the way of my goals! I will try learn from this, my friggen motivation and will have been good recently and i sabotaged myself today, really let down by my decision making.

I have a bit of a eating disorder, whereby i eat something i wouldnt normally (non primal) and for some reason i carry it through for the day making it a 'cheat day'.

Anyway ignore all this i thought id just come and rant in here and not add anything discussion worthy

Dbag81 is offline Junior Member
    I live in rural Australia on a small farm and have set up a gym in my double garage. It is very "rustic"consisting of squat racks, bench, various free weights and resistance bands, I like to include tractor tyres and tyre pulls to workouts for practical application.
    The closest gym is a over 100km trip so fresh ideas for training or am always up for a timed challenge.
    I have been primal for about 6 months dropped 13kg after rugby season but managed to maintain strength.

Jacksson is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My wife calls our gym the dump. At least the part we work out in. It has 3 parts. The front part is full of machines and is used for their in-house private training program. Kind of a cool program in that it is group training so it keeps the cost more manageable. I dont know for sure but they seem to use some variation of an HIT program in there but I have seen them come into the middle part of the gym to train people too so it's not limited to that space.

The back of the gym is a big crossfit room. This particular gym started very small and has turned into a very popular and respected crossfit program.

The middle section is the dump. It has a full set of nautilus type machines, a handful of treadmills, bikes, steppy things, cable stations, pull up bars, huge rack of dumbells, benches, bars, tons of weight and one double sided rack. Everything you could need as far as I can tell. The only drawback is that it has basically one set of all of those things so if it were heavily attended it could create some log jams but so far I havent had to wait for anything. We will see what happens after the holiday.

Actually, there is a fourth section. There is a smaller room that is strictly for the big lifts. I assume the crossfitters go in there to work on form for the deadlifts, squats, etc. The owner does training for those lifts as well. I havent gone in there yet but the guys in there are animals.

So yeah, I like our gym. Has pretty much everything you could want, just not fancy. The crowd is good too. I catch the occasional mirror poser but they try to be sneaky. Most people where their earbuds and do their work.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910