Thread: fun beats routine page

gergirl Guest

fun beats routine

Hi everyone...
    Christmas is coming soon and so it might be the right time to slow things down a bit and take some days off from the usual training routine and do something different, because the gym might be closed, family is calling or time is simply spent on other things.
    I'm just starting two weeks of doing short intense workouts (5/week) to save time and hopefullly keeping the weight...Doing 2 HIIT units, 2 upper (push&pull) and 1 leg/core workout.
    Do you change your work out over the holidays? Do you take some days off? Are you trying to keep your form or is everything a bit hang loose?
    What' does your holiday workout look like? (besides eating)

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    I don't really change mine up for Christmas but I do think that it is always a good idea to mix things up every now and again.

Right now I've been using some rest-pause in my workouts and love the fact that I'm using heavier weights but still getting that all important time under tension.

gergirl Guest
    Are you just into weights? Or do you do BW?

Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Are you just into weights? Or do you do BW?

Over the years I've done everything from Track and field to martial arts however the one constant that I've never stopped doing is lifting weights. I did buy into the whole ' functional training ' garbage a year or so ago and was doing certain BW exercises. I've since seen sense and gone back to what works the best !

I will say that there are some damn good BW exercises though....Wall Crawls for example are an awesome upper body exercise for someone that doesn't have any weights.

This was me doing some a while back, anyone thinking all BW exercises are girly should give these a go !

Last edited by OldSchhool; 12-16-2013 at 03:42 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    That depends on whether you have achievement-oriented goals or process-oriented goals. If it's the first, you might not want to lose progress.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That depends on whether you have achievement-oriented goals or process-oriented goals. If it's the first, you might not want to lose progress.

It takes quite a while for people to lose size and strength, given that most people are in a semi-over trained state anyway most will find they are actually stronger after a week off.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    It takes quite a while for people to lose size and strength, given that most people are in a semi-over trained state anyway most will find they are actually stronger after a week off.
    Assuming of course that size and strength are everybody's goals.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Assuming of course that size and strength are everybody's goals.
    Most other traits are learned skills so a weeks rest or change in program should cause no loss in performance.....unless there is some factor that I'm missing ?