Thread: Is the protein from gelatin or porkrinds the same as that from meat? page

candy corn is offline Member

Is the protein from gelatin or porkrinds the same as that from meat?

Shop Now
    like are they able to build, repair, or do whatever regular protein does to muscles?

asking because im having trouble hitting my protein goals each day, mostly due to budget constraints, and gelatin is relatively cheap and so are pork rinds but I only partake in those every so often.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Short answer is no....

Long answer is..... long.

On the third hand, gelatin contains amino acids that are healthful in various ways. If you are on a budget buy whole animals/primal cuts and make soup and bone broth....this is free gelatin and its how our ancestors stretched their meals. The powdered stuff is fine too, but that costs you extra dollars.

So the 8 gram of protein per serving of pork rinds isnt the same as 8 grams from beef?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    gelatin (animal protein) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Cliff's notes version: It lacks certain aminos which makes it an "incomplete protein". Meat from animals is complete protein....i.e. has all necessary aminos.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-16-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    gelatin (animal protein) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Cliff's notes version: It lacks certain aminos which makes it an "incomplete protein". Meat from animals is complete protein....i.e. has all necessary aminos.
    is there some other incomplete protein that can be combined with gelatin to make it complete?

is the protein in pork rinds the same as that in gelatin?

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Yes. So you should not use pork rinds or gelatin as your only source of protein.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Pork gelatin has more glycine than beef apparently...

...So that is a good thing.

Eat gelatin with muscle meat and you would get the benefits of gelatin and it would help assimilate the amino acids from muscle meat better.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    It's true we can't live on pork rinds alone but something like 30% of body mass is collagen (made of glycine) so gelatin snacks will always find a good home.

Protein costs are a pain but a true amino shortfall is rare outside the third world. I save cash by watching sales for stew cuts, ground, heart, liver, canned seafood, eggs, and dairy (even during strength training we don't really need hundreds and hundreds of grams).
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

sarahsj is offline Junior Member
    My fill-in protein is egg whites. You can buy a dozen eggs pretty cheap and they go a long way towards hitting your goals.

I will give you one other suggestion that might cut a bunch off your expenses, too. Go to the grocery store in the early morning hours, shortly after the crew that stocks the meat department arrives. That is when a large percentage of the meat is moved to the discount bin due to getting closer to expiration dates. You can cut 30 to 50% off your meat purchases that way.

You should do a little figuring, too. I thought proteins powders were expensive until I compared the protein content per serving with fresh meats. The powders were cheaper per gram of protein, but definitely not as filling.