Thread: Study of impact of nutrient availability on site selection in early man page

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member

Study of impact of nutrient availability on site selection in early man

Shop Now
    Pretty interesting study of how early humans may have chosen where to live. In particular I found this passage interesting -

In order to maintain their protein:CF balance it is likely that hominins would have actively sought out high carbohydrate sources such as honey (86 g 100 g−1), aquatic seeds (80 g 100 g−1), berries (13 g 100 g−1), and hazelnuts (6 g 100 g−1). A similar propensity may have been displayed for high fat sources particularly bone marrow (84 g 100 g−1) and brain (70% fat and rich in arachidonic acid and DHA), but also hazelnuts (63 g 100 g−1), eel (42 g 100 g−1), birds eggs (29 g 100 g−1) and certain parts of selected mammals such as the tails of beavers...
    Nothing really new to folks who enjoy reading about Paleo diets, but it does confirm for me that tubers and other starchy plants were highly available for some early populations. Since I happen to be on a bit of a Perfect Health Diet kick with a side of Otzi-tot's resistant starch evangelism I find this study encouraging that I'm on the right track, at least for me.

PLOS ONE: Site Distribution at the Edge of the Palaeolithic World: A Nutritional Niche Approach

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for the link. I just started reading and it looks very interesting. I love reading articles like this.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka5280 View Post
    it does confirm for me that tubers and other starchy plants were highly available for some early populations.
    Plus the genetic adaption to produce more salivary amylase (which helps break down starch).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Question from the brain fartery... What's an aquatic seed?

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I figured things like lotus.

M.