Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should homemade bone broth taste like (commercial) beef broth? page 2

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Question:

At work I can only reheat my broth in a microwave .
    Does this completely waste all the hard work of doing the broth in the 1st place ?
    Or am I still getting some benefits?

Any advise?

From London England UK

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    For 4-legged creatures, I use a pressure cooker. That it turns gelatinous in the fridge is what I look for. For fish bones, I just use a pot on top of the stove. Neither tastes like commercial because I don't salt it until I eat it as soup or use it in a recipe. I also use a couple of tablespoons of ACV in both to leach out the minerals from the bones per primal guidelines.

The broth from beef/bison/goat comes out a bit darker than the one from fish bones/shrimp heads, but not as dark as anything I ever bought from a grocery store.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    +1 on the pressure cooker. Works like a charm for some extra gelatinous bone broth in only a few hours.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Granted, I haven't tried commercial broth in a long time so I may be remembering wrong, but I've made a couple batches of chicken bone broth recently that have tasted like commercial. But I tend to add a lot of salt to my food, so that's probably why.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everybody for your comments, very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    Question:

At work I can only reheat my broth in a microwave .
    Does this completely waste all the hard work of doing the broth in the 1st place ?
    Or am I still getting some benefits?

Any advise?

From London England UK
    Ryan I'm pretty sure microwaving your broth should have zero effect on the nutritional quality - after all, most of the negative effects of microwaving have to do with breaking down vitamins and enzymes that are sensitive to heat. (There shouldn't be any of those in broth since making it requires hours and hours of simmering.)

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A while back a cooking magazine did some experiments on making the best beef broth. They found that it was the meat attached to the bones that gave it flavor. No meat, and the finished product tasted like bones.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    My first experiment into bone broth was a failure...

When I buy pre-made ox bone soup here in Seoul, it is milky white, not greasy at all. Tastes almost like milk.

When I tried cooking beef bones it came out oily yellow, super greasy, like chicken noodle soup. Not bad, but not what I want.

What's up??

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    My first experiment into bone broth was a failure...

When I buy pre-made ox bone soup here in Seoul, it is milky white, not greasy at all. Tastes almost like milk.

When I tried cooking beef bones it came out oily yellow, super greasy, like chicken noodle soup. Not bad, but not what I want.

What's up??
    Chill it and skim off the fat to use in something else.

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't sound like to much water to me. If I don't roast my bones first that is how mine turns out. Roasting makes ALL the difference - also, I cook my beef broth for at least 72 hours to get max flavour. I put about 3 bounds of bones in my slow cooker with 2 TBSP of ACV and then cover with water and cook on low. It has tons of flavour and tastes way better than commercial broth.

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    UPDATE: SO. FREAKING. DELICIOUS!!!

So yesterday I took the crock out of the fridge and plugged it back in to simmer for another day while I was at work. When I got home the water level had reduced about an inch and a half and the broth was a rich brown color.

I strained it and transfered it to another pot to cool in the fridge and this morning scraped the hardened fat off the top. What was underneath could be described as "meat jello." I heated a mug full in the microwave and it was absolutely delicious. This is definitely going to become a regular part of my routine.

Thanks everybody for the advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12