Thread: How can I become a Trainer in Primal Fitness? page

Shibby30 is offline Junior Member

How can I become a Trainer in Primal Fitness?

Primal Fuel
    Hello, I used to have my ACE but let it lapse when I was between things and briefly dabbled in personal training years before going paleo. Recently it's come to my mind to dabble again in personal training on a part time basis. I want to teach a simple Sissonesque philosophy on training, and a focus on training the everyday person who wouldn't want to spend the time and money on crossfit. I know I would need some accreditation behind my name to get hired or to be contracted. Should I just get my ACE back and do my own thing or would there be something that would cater more to paleo/primal fitness? Thank you.

healthdakine.blogspot.com

Also, is there some certification to be a coach with the nutrition aspect of ancestral health? I have a masters in an unrelated field and am not willing to take any more college.
    Thanks again for any direction.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby30 View Post
    Also, is there some certification to be a coach with the nutrition aspect of ancestral health? I have a masters in an unrelated field and am not willing to take any more college.
    Thanks again for any direction.
    That is a very good question as I'd be interested in this as well. As for wanting to become a trainer there really isn't any trick to it. Just retake your ACE and go from there. I would ask that you do your best to glean as much knowledge as you possibly can and seek out the best you're able to find to learn from. That way you won't perpetuate the idea that trainers don't know what the hell they're talking about.

It's unfortunate but true because most trainers are young dumb and full of ..... and don't really care about learning any more than just the basics to get by. If it were up to me, personal trainers would need to have a higher degree of knowledge and need to meet higher requirements to maintain good standing than just learning how to make someone sweat. This is what the requirements seem to be right now and because of this it puts a negative stigma on the profession and paints a broad brush stroke that unfortunately taints the lens that people look through. Even when speaking to someone who is really in it to pass along knowledge and increase the knowledge that they have.

I love being a personal trainer but I love it because I'm amazed at how the human body works and how one can manipulate diet, weight, reps, sets, and time to increase strength, speed, power and force. I'm fascinated by how the body responds and can become theoretically younger by increasing movement and load and by increasing nutritional values.

The body is an amazing thing and all it's intricacies boggle the mind.

Thanks for the reply. Aren't there certifications to become like a nutrition coach to help people with dieting without having to become a nutritionist? It's true that the training is terrible for trainers. I'm working as a therapist with my MSW, and most therapists out there don't really do anything that works besides active listening and pat themselves on the back repeatedly for their supposed magical "interventions."

I feel too extroverted and energetic to be a full time therapist. Thanks so much paleo, you gave me tons of extroverted energy when I was working to become a psychotherapist.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Hey Shibby30 - I've been a trainer for a while and it's a very fulfilling career. I wrote an article about becoming a trainer for the website T-Nation. I think it will help answer some questions for you: T NATION | Becoming A Personal Trainer

My brother Danny is a trainer as well, and he actually just released an entire book on the subject! The book is called Everybody Needs Training - take a look: Everybody Needs Training
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Canuck_Cam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Hey Shibby30 - I've been a trainer for a while and it's a very fulfilling career. I wrote an article about becoming a trainer for the website T-Nation. I think it will help answer some questions for you: T NATION | Becoming A Personal Trainer

My brother Danny is a trainer as well, and he actually just released an entire book on the subject! The book is called Everybody Needs Training - take a look: Everybody Needs Training
    I'd definitely recommend checking out Al's work. I just purchased the book, I. Am excited to get into some cool body weight manipulation type movements. It always looks so cool when done properly.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck_Cam View Post
    I'd definitely recommend checking out Al's work. I just purchased the book, I. Am excited to get into some cool body weight manipulation type movements. It always looks so cool when done properly.
    Thanks! I hope you like Danny's book! I've got a few books on bodyweight training that you should look into as well if you haven't yet seen them.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com