Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I'm going to use some beans in chili. What kind? page

glorth2 is online now Senior Member

So I'm going to use some beans in chili. What kind?

Shop Now
    Don't worry. My chili is loaded with grass-fed ground beef but I'm also going to throw some beans in there. I think in the past I've used kidney beans but I wasn't that into nutrition at the time. I'm thinking black beans but that's mostly reputation. I thought I'd run it by you guys. What say you?

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Definitely black beans, get the real deal dried ones and soak them overnight if you have the time.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Pinto, black or even beluga or french green lentils.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Kidney is my vote. Soak them overnight. Cook them in a pressure cooker. But why? Beanless chili is soooo good. Beanless anything is so good. Beans taste like what I imagine socks taste like. Mushy flavorless crap.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I use a variety of beans - one type at a time though! Soaked about 48 hours and cooked until tender. I reckon that using a variety of types will give a range of minerals etc. Flageolet, kidney, black eye, cannellini, - there is a wide range!

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Be sure to sprout them, if you can, as it'll help maximize nutrition.

M.

dogfuel is offline Member
    Saw somewhere that the commercial pressure cooking of canned beans is more effective denaturing the bad stuff than soaking and cooking yourself. just rinse them very well. sounds plausible - don't know if its valid.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I would avoid kidney and, obviously, soy, since they seem to be the highest in lectins. I would do pinto and black as they tend to be the cleanest, and they taste great. I'd check this out:

Whole Health Source: Beans, Lentils, and the Paleo Diet
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

fifer is online now Senior Member
    The best beans I ever had were Tepary beans, brought over here by an American friend who got them from a local producer out in the desert. Impossible to get this side of the Atlantic (unless you pay ridiculous shipping fees...)

I did save 4 or 5 from the bag and grew them, one grew about 2 feet tall and produced a flower before it realised it was growing on the cliffs looking over the North Sea towards Norway, and promptly died!

Karock is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If you are adding beans, you are making stew, not chili. "Chili con Carne" = "Chili with Meat" Beans do not enter the equation.

If I were making chili based stew I'd use pinto beans, or maybe black beans if you liked the texture better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast