Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I'm going to use some beans in chili. What kind? page 2

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Originally, chilli con carne was beanless and beans were used to bulk it out by poor folk who couldn't afford it.
    Kidney would be an obvious choice, black would probably be awesome.
    What about rice? Gluten free, a carb like beans, and it absorbs sauce making it thicker.. I used to use bulgur wheat all the time for that, same principle

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Look, whether you're pro-bean, anti-bean, whatever, beans taste pretty good in chili. Even if you're stringently anti-bean in your chili due to some kind of traditional dogma you must follow, you can't argue they still go damn well with it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^No, you can definitely argue it.... you can argue chili doesn't taste better with beans as a personal preference, a regional preference, and even from a culinary standpoint (as in the above points that with beans is technically not chili)....and you would be correct. None of that is dogma. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the time people use the word "dogma" on this forum its used incorrectly.

Anyhow from that detour I will add this for the thread. When I make true chili I like to use at least two different textures of beef from different cuts. That is usually ground and cubed...the extra texture really adds to the dish IMO. For beans in a stew I like to use pinto, black, and or navy....those are the only ones I have on hand.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-17-2013 at 06:54 PM.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Look, whether you're pro-bean, anti-bean, whatever, beans taste pretty good in chili. Even if you're stringently anti-bean in your chili due to some kind of traditional dogma you must follow, you can't argue they still go damn well with it.
    Totally agree. Where this idea came from that "real" chill doesn't have beans I don't know - or care. I love beans in chill. And in my book, that doesn't make it a stew!

“Real” chili cannot contain beans or tomatoes | Kitchen Myths

Mine usually contains chopped green coriander (cilantro) and I don't care if that is considered sacrilege or not either - I am eating it and I like it that way. And it is damned tasty!

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I had chili with beans last night. It was ok.

The bummer with bean-based chili (esp. canned stuff) is that it's like all beans and no meat (figuratively).

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ^No, you can definitely argue it.... you can argue chili doesn't taste better with beans as a personal preference, a regional preference, and even from a culinary standpoint (as in the above points that with beans is technically not chili)....and you would be correct. None of that is dogma. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the time people use the word "dogma" on this forum its used incorrectly.

Anyhow from that detour I will add this for the thread. When I make true chili I like to use at least two different textures of beef from different cuts. That is usually ground and cubed...the extra texture really adds to the dish IMO. For beans in a stew I like to use pinto, black, and or navy....those are the only ones I have on hand.
    I see you've completely ignored the point of my post and elected to use it as a springboard for a useless tirade.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Totally agree. Where this idea came from that "real" chill doesn't have beans I don't know - or care. I love beans in chill. And in my book, that doesn't make it a stew!

“Real” chili cannot contain beans or tomatoes | Kitchen Myths

Mine usually contains chopped green coriander (cilantro) and I don't care if that is considered sacrilege or not either - I am eating it and I like it that way. And it is damned tasty!
    Every time I see a post on any forum anywhere on the internet about chili, it turns into a fight between what belongs in chili, and it's usually started by the "purists" that believe real chili is nothing but ground chili peppers soaked in water, and meat. The point is, chili is a platform. It has become a base for a million different things - red chilis, green chilis, vegetarian chilis, chili with beans, chili with corn, pork chili, beef chili, chicken chili, turkey and white bean chili...the possibilities are endless. Saying chili with beans is not real chili is like saying pizza isn't real pizza unless it's nothing but crust, tomato sauce and a sprinkling of hard Italian cheese, or saying spaghetti isn't spaghetti because it contains meatballs and must purely be pasta and tomato gravy. Pizza, pasta, chili - they are BASES. It's an opportunity to make a "big pot of shit." Chili is a "clean out the fridge" kind of food, and its contents vary with the leftover meals and produce in your fridge available to you.

I've made chili with some weird stuff in it because I had to get rid of some stuff in my fridge. And it always turns out great, regardless whether or not it is basic, traditional "chili."
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-18-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I see you've completely ignored the point of my post and elected to use it as a springboard for a useless tirade.
    Wait....there was a point? You didn't like my three sentence "tirade"

All I got from your post is that you like beans in chili, and if others don't its to being dogmatic. I see it all the time. Opinions labeled as "dogmatic" to disparage the other persons views. Most of the time erroneously so. It annoys me, so I said as much.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    I put squash in my chili. Not necessarily due to any "food dogma," but because that's how the recipe I stumbled across and decided I liked the best did it.

I just came across a Jamie Oliver recipe for tamales that uses lamb, squash, carrots, pintos, and chiles as the stuffing. Sounded easily adaptable to stew form and I have a ton of chunked (hacked) up lamb in my freezer, so I'll be trying that this week. Minus the beans, but because I have a still um, weak, digestive system.

I don't know about canned beans. WAPF said they were processed to be easier to digest, but I'd like to know if it makes them any better nutritionally like the traditional soak/boil/slow cook method. Of course WAPF is against them, but they're cheap and I want to go to college soon.

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I finally went back to USA for a visit and brought back 3 canisters of my favorite chili powder. It just isn't right to my taste without the McCormick's I grew up with. But then I refuse to use kidney beans because I grew up with them in chili, too. I guess I got bored. I usually use 1 can each of black and pinto. I also started using actual tomatoes instead of tomato paste. Onions. A whole pound of ground beef. That makes lunch all week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast