Thread: Treating rosacea/skin redness with "rifamaxin". Looks promising. page

Sabre is offline Senior Member

Treating rosacea/skin redness with "rifaximin". Looks promising.

Primal Fuel
    A link has been proposed between rosacea (or inflamed, angry looking skin) and SIBO (Small intestinal bacteria overgrowth).

From wiki:

Intestinal flora may play a role in causing the disease. A recent study subjected patients to a hydrogen breath test to detect the occurrence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). It was found that significantly more patients were hydrogen-positive than controls indicating the presence of intestinal flora overgrowth (47% v. 5%, p<0.001).

Hydrogen-positive patients were then given a 10-day course of rifaximin, a non-absorbable antibiotic that does not leave the digestive tract and therefore does not enter the circulation or reach the skin. 96% of patients experienced a complete remission of rosacea symptoms that lasted beyond 9 months. These patients were also negative when retested for intestinal flora overgrowth. In the 4% of patients that experienced relapse, it was found that intestinal flora overgrowth had returned. These patients were given a second course of rifaximin which again cleared rosacea symptoms and normalized hydrogen excretion.
    Very interesting. The more I delve into health and diet research in general, the more evidence I see suggesting there's a fundamental link between the gut and health problems.

A brief overview on the topic (not sure how to embed videos here, if it's possible):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j27C2N7Hpug

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sabre; 12-14-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Sabre is offline Senior Member
    I should also add this bit; sometimes a different antibiotic is needed, and it's also very effective:

In another study, it was found that some rosacea patients that tested hydrogen-negative were still positive for intestinal flora overgrowth when using a methane breath test instead. These patients showed little improvement with rifaximin, as found in the previous study, but experienced clearance of rosacea symptoms and normalization of methane excretion following administration of the antibiotic metronidazole, which is effective at targeting methanogens.[17]
    These results suggest that optimal antibiotic therapy may vary between patients and that diverse species of intestinal flora appear to be capable of mediating rosacea symptoms.
    This may also explain the improvement in symptoms experienced by some patients when given a reduced carbohydrate diet.[18] Such a diet would restrict the available substrates for the microorganisms thought to be causative.

From what I can ascertain (Chris Kresser has made this point I believe), these antibiotics are narrow-spectrum and less likely to cause such negative side effects as the broad spectrums ones like tetracyclines

Bear is offline Senior Member
    This is extremely interesting...on a par with the discovery that ulcers are bacteria-originated (H. Pylori).