Thread: Cellulite and primal fitness page

Cellulite and primal fitness

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone! I'm about 80/20 right now with nutrition and I'm looking to up my fitness regime. Right now I do some light cardio on the elliptical and full circuit weight training. Is there ANY hope of getting rid of the cellulite on my legs (this may sound like an uneducated question, but I'm somewhat of a newbie to this lifestyle)? I'm not looking for miraculous smoothness, I'm just looking for improving it. Right now, I'm really overweight. Can anyone provide some hope? Thanks!

gergirl Guest
    Most women have cellulite and it's just there and won't go.
    Eat healthy, train the muscles, dom't lose too much eight, skin is mostly getting worse. Don't smoke, drink and give your legs a daily masssage with a brush to get the skin supplied with blood. Don't throw away your money for dubious stuff

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It's good to know what cellulite is and how it happens.

It largely has to do with skin structure -- not necessarily weight or fat.

As the amount of body fat you have decreases, the body will lean out, etc, and you will likely have less of the appearance of cellulite, but your skin structure that creates the "cellulite" look will still be there, even over muscle. Here's a great blog that describes how the skin works in this regard.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Sorry honey but don't expect it to go away ever...
    Cellulite is notoriously stubborn and will take years to make it look better.
    A primal diet surely helps as cellulite is mostly localized fat storage. So making sure your body is burning fat instead of carbs will help. Working out stimulates the fat burning process so of course that helps. Training the muscles in those areas will help everthing to get tighter and look slimmer.

I think that over a longer period you might get some results but cellulite won't go away quickly
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I remember reading something where someone hypothesized that cellulite has to do with PUFA storage, and that the turnover time is very long (a couple years). So avoiding PUFA's for several years might help. Sorry if that's not the news you wanted to hear. I don't think anything you do physical activity-wise will help.
    The Champagne of Beards

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I remember reading something where someone hypothesized that cellulite has to do with PUFA storage, and that the turnover time is very long (a couple years). So avoiding PUFA's for several years might help. Sorry if that's not the news you wanted to hear. I don't think anything you do physical activity-wise will help.
    Yes, I think may be true, at least anecdotally from my own experience. I had cellulite when I first start trying to lose weight a few years back. I had hoped that change in diet and weight lifting etc would help but initially didn't see a lot of improvement. But I also didn't pay much attention to PUFAs at the beginning; I was concentrating on carb counts and meat sources. I cut out PUFAs (as much as possible) about a year ago and have seen a lot of improvement. Cellulite that was on the back of my thighs even from when I was in my 20s has almost disappeared, which is awesome. I didn't really have any on the rest of my body.

I've also read that dry brushing to stimulate circulation is helpful. I've done that but am not consistent enough to report any results. Even if that doesn't help cellulite, it definitely improves the appearance of the skin by sloughing off dead cells.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Right now, I'm really overweight.
    If you are really overweight (not sure about the extent) then it really is a long haul to get a tight/toned body.

If you have a lot to lose, like over 50lbs, I highly recommend starting some HITT plus heavy weightlifting. I have a lot of skin laxity and cellulite... However, by building bulky muscles, I'm taking up some of the loose skin. My legs in particular look better with less cellulite and skin looks tighter.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

DesiDancItalia is offline Junior Member
    I thought the same thing. I thought maybe cellulite was just hereditary, or caused from certain foods I was eating and maybe no way around it. But I proved myself wrong when I found Joey Atlas's video. It makes sense that if you do specific targeted exercises to the areas that your not happy with it. I noticed a difference in less than 2 weeks when I started to do these exercises every morning.

Here's the video and my personal success story: Easiest Exercises That Get Rid of Cellulite

Leida is offline Senior Member
    When I am leaner, it reduces, when I have more fat on me, it increases. For my body, when I am closer to 120 lbs (at 18-22% BF) cellulite on thighs is almost invisible. When I let myself go to 130'ies it showed up more pronounced on thighs and on the muffin top, and also I got spider veins everywhere where the fat deposits reached the critical thickness (yuck).

Basically, for me, heavy weight training (2x a week), plus lots of time moving outdoors and some short intense cardio (2-3x a week), preferably swimming with a diet that is rich in vegetables, some fruit and leaner meats/lots of seafood & dairy is an ideal regimen, but it is hard to maintain w/o overtraining.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.