Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squats: My mind's playing tricks on me... page

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member

Squats: My mind's playing tricks on me...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Now that the weight is heavy (for me anyway), I'm finding that squatting is a serious mental thing. Is it just me? I'm a 5'3 female and today did 175lbs for 10 and 165lbs for 15. With the 175, towards the end, I found myself actually afraid that when I go down, I might not come back up. Now, I'm working out with nationally-ranked power lifters as trainers and in a safe environment. So when I say scared I don't mean scared that I'll hurt myself. I think I mean scared from an ego standpoint, I guess? I don't like to fail, I guess. So I unrack the weight, feel it heavy on my back, start to lower and then think...oh good God...

So I've noticed this about myself and I'm trying to mentally steel myself and attack it, but the fear is still there.

Am I crazy? Do I just have to woman up? ;-) Do I need inspiring music? Mantras to recite? ;-) I don't want to be afraid of the weight. I'm certainly not with deadlifting. I'm not with most things in life! I guess I just feel in such a "vulnerable" position in the hole - add to that 175lbs and it's a recipe for my mind to start working against me.

Thoughts? I'll take the sweet and nice comments as well as the "suck it up and handle business" comments! ;-)

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I fear it and love it at the same time, that thought that crosses your mind just before you lower yourself, thinking theres no way back past that point and this bitch is coming back no room for failure once i begin the descent. Its great motivation and a challenge of strength and heart.

Thats one thing i love about working out alone and no spot, its do or die pretty much with every set. Deadlifting and squatting i find are pretty mentally taxing, you gotta keep form in mind and then just push through barriers.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    If you never fail you ain't aiming high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    If you never fail you ain't aiming high enough.
    Touché!

Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    I fear it and love it at the same time, that thought that crosses your mind just before you lower yourself, thinking theres no way back past that point and this bitch is coming back no room for failure once i begin the descent. Its great motivation and a challenge of strength and heart.

Thats one thing i love about working out alone and no spot, its do or die pretty much with every set. Deadlifting and squatting i find are pretty mentally taxing, you gotta keep form in mind and then just push through barriers.
    That's a positive way of looking at it! One of the reasons I love those two compound exercises is because of the brain work involved. In a previous life I was on a treadmill making grocery lists in my mind or planning my calendar. With squats and deadlifts my mind CANNOT and DOES NOT wander!

So have you ever had to let the weight drop? If so, how have you recovered mentally?

^There is a legit fear with free weights.....the good news is that learning how to safely get rid of the weight when (when...not if ) it is too much for you is part of the learning process. You gotta get competitive about it. Its you vs the weight! Round 1 went to the weight...are you gonna let it beat you again? Hell no! Get under it and pound that *%#*!!!! Seriously, use a little rage...take it personally...get pissed if you fail, and use it next time. This is what I've learned and used both as a wrestler and weight lifter.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edennperez1 View Post
    Now that the weight is heavy (for me anyway), I'm finding that squatting is a serious mental thing. Is it just me? I'm a 5'3 female and today did 175lbs for 10 and 165lbs for 15. With the 175, towards the end, I found myself actually afraid that when I go down, I might not come back up. Now, I'm working out with nationally-ranked power lifters as trainers and in a safe environment. So when I say scared I don't mean scared that I'll hurt myself. I think I mean scared from an ego standpoint, I guess? I don't like to fail, I guess. So I unrack the weight, feel it heavy on my back, start to lower and then think...oh good God...

So I've noticed this about myself and I'm trying to mentally steel myself and attack it, but the fear is still there.

Am I crazy? Do I just have to woman up? ;-) Do I need inspiring music? Mantras to recite? ;-) I don't want to be afraid of the weight. I'm certainly not with deadlifting. I'm not with most things in life! I guess I just feel in such a "vulnerable" position in the hole - add to that 175lbs and it's a recipe for my mind to start working against me.

Thoughts? I'll take the sweet and nice comments as well as the "suck it up and handle business" comments! ;-)
    Fear is the ego that tries to hold you back from your dreams. Once ego is gone fear has no hold and is left in the shadows.

So

Rip, the shit, out if the weights!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Fear is the ego that tries to hold you back from your dreams. Once ego is gone fear has no hold and is left in the shadows.

So

*of

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post

So

I like that.....seems from my answer that I tend to take things from ego to greater ego in that context though *how dare you defy me weight! you will go up!!! Wait, thats not ego in psychological sense though is it? We're talking feud stuff huh.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-13-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I like that.....seems from my answer that I tend to take things from ego to greater ego in that context though *how dare you defy me weight! you will go up!!!
    Thanks man I just made that up! I'm guilty of it too. I think we all are at some point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast