Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squats: My mind's playing tricks on me... page 2

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks everyone! Yep, ego/fear - my friend and nemesis. Next squat day is Friday, a week from today. I'm gonna rip the sh*t outta that weight. Stay tuned!

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I get like this with deadlift PRs. I pace like a caged tiger before I grab the bar. I don't mind dumping squats if it all goes wrong. They just make me feel like I might die.

Sent via lightsaber

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I like to think about boobies when exerting. Adds at least 20% to my strength. Maybe you should think about...whatever revs you up?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Greenbeast is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I like to think about boobies when exerting. Adds at least 20% to my strength. Maybe you should think about...whatever revs you up?
    love it, i might use this one ha ha

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Glad I'm not the only one OP! Even though I've got a full cage setup with safety bars I still have to get over that fear/trepidation and into that mental sweet spot. Interestingly it took me sometime to get it back. I used to dead 220kg years ago and have been working my way back up. When I hit 185kg it took me about 4 weeks to be able to hit the sweet spot and stay there long enough to make the lift. Mr. Anthony describes it perfectly, I feel the same way as I prowl around the bar trying to force that moment to hit my brain, when I know my whole body is ready to fire and my mind too. It's much harder for me now though because I workout alone. When I used to lift it was at a gym and my mate was lifting 220kg as well. I didn't realise the value of him standing there and stopping my procrastination with a well timed, "Lets do this! Heels and hips! Drive! Drive! Drive!" Now all I get is the music in the background to fire me up. It's a whole different ball game!

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edennperez1 View Post
    That's a positive way of looking at it! One of the reasons I love those two compound exercises is because of the brain work involved. In a previous life I was on a treadmill making grocery lists in my mind or planning my calendar. With squats and deadlifts my mind CANNOT and DOES NOT wander!

So have you ever had to let the weight drop? If so, how have you recovered mentally?
    No but i am relatively new to it and will be challenged alot harder in the near future. One thing i do is know my limit as i always have injury prevention in my mind when i do those excercises. Tbh im not sure how to safely fail on squats. I will look into it, ive seen the attachments you use on the squat rack,will have to get familiar and comfourtable with it before i do attempt the more challenging weights. When you fail, its more important how you bounce back rather than think too much about the failing bit

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Haaaa! I'll have to find something as motivating for me. Not boobs. Maybe a cookie? ;-) Chest up....chest up....drive...cookie...cookie...cookie...

Quote Originally Posted by sroelofs View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one OP! Even though I've got a full cage setup with safety bars I still have to get over that fear/trepidation and into that mental sweet spot. Interestingly it took me sometime to get it back. I used to dead 220kg years ago and have been working my way back up. When I hit 185kg it took me about 4 weeks to be able to hit the sweet spot and stay there long enough to make the lift. Mr. Anthony describes it perfectly, I feel the same way as I prowl around the bar trying to force that moment to hit my brain, when I know my whole body is ready to fire and my mind too. It's much harder for me now though because I workout alone. When I used to lift it was at a gym and my mate was lifting 220kg as well. I didn't realise the value of him standing there and stopping my procrastination with a well timed, "Lets do this! Heels and hips! Drive! Drive! Drive!" Now all I get is the music in the background to fire me up. It's a whole different ball game!
    I think you make an interesting point about working out alone or with a partner. I workout with others and I sometimes think that part of my fear is failing in front of them. But then if I didn't have them cheering me through a sticky point, I probably wouldn't challenge myself. At the same time, maybe I'd do more if there was no one looking. But then I might lose motivation just grinding alone. Who knows?!? I'm a head case. ;-)

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I find, after the first squat, that it's usually not as bad as I thought it was going to be. This opinion might change as I do more of them, but as long as I at least try the first, the fear is not too bad. I've gotten to where I can tell myself to at least try one rep, that's all you have to do. That seems to take the edge off for me. But I don't lift nearly as much as you. I'm stuck right now at 145 and I'm also 5'3" and female. Who knows if this will still work when I get to where you are, IF I get to where you are.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I find, after the first squat, that it's usually not as bad as I thought it was going to be. This opinion might change as I do more of them, but as long as I at least try the first, the fear is not too bad. I've gotten to where I can tell myself to at least try one rep, that's all you have to do. That seems to take the edge off for me. But I don't lift nearly as much as you. I'm stuck right now at 145 and I'm also 5'3" and female. Who knows if this will still work when I get to where you are, IF I get to where you are.
    The anticipation of the first rep is the feeling I love most. That's when my grit and determination are high and I'm most excited. The jello legs and the fear that comes towards the end of the last set is what drives me nuts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast