Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raw milk and illness in Minnesota page

Raw milk and illness in Minnesota

Primal Fuel
    As the movement to relax regulations on raw milk seems to be gaining steam, health officials in Minnesota warned Wednesday that raw milk could be making more people sick than previously recognized, based on a 10-year study. They estimated that more than 17% of the state’s residents who drank raw milk got sick.

Minnesota says raw milk makes more people sick than recognized - latimes.com

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I'm not following the math in that article. It doesn't say anywhere that raw milk drinkers are more likely to suffer food borne illnesses than pasteurized milk drinkers. Actually, I'm not convinced Minnesota health officials are saying anything useful at all.

I don't drink raw milk and I'm pretty certain I've suffered a number of transient food borne illnesses after eating in restaurants. I'd like to see the numbers on that.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I'm not following the math in that article. It doesn't say anywhere that raw milk drinkers are more likely to suffer food borne illnesses than pasteurized milk drinkers. Actually, I'm not convinced Minnesota health officials are saying anything useful at all.

I don't drink raw milk and I'm pretty certain I've suffered a number of transient food borne illnesses after eating in restaurants. I'd like to see the numbers on that.
    Your not following it cause it ain't there . Lots of unsubstantiated guestimations there. Hardly any hard data to speak of.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    You know what regularly causes food-born illnesses? Packaged greens.

M.

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    As the movement to relax regulations on raw milk seems to be gaining steam...

thats the key. Raw milk is gaining steam. Time to throw out a little propaganda to calm things down a bit.

I have been drinking raw milk daily for about 7 years now. Back in the 60's we got it delivered to our door each morning in California. My mom and dad were raised on it. From their own cows no less.

momrn is offline Member
    I drank it for several years as kid fron an uncle's cows and for almost a decade now. I haven't had food poisoning during this time, but I have gotten food poisoning twice from restaurants, once from mussels from a pricey fish market, and once from bagged salad before I started drinking raw milk.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I saw that article when searching Google news and didn't even bother to read it. I already know the drill. There's a movement to a product that could potentially cut out the six companies that produce about 90% of our food, and the mud starts getting slung.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    You know what regularly causes food-born illnesses? Packaged greens.

M.
    +1000 I noticed that, and can't believe people still take a chance on that stuff. It seems like a disproportionate number of recalls are greens + plastic. But heck, what's a little salmonella if it can save you five minutes chopping greens?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, just as well I bought my greens BEFORE I read this. Thankfully we seem to have survived them.

We are thriving on our raw milk, too.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'll take my foot out of my mouth now.

Annie, I'm guessing it's a bigger problem here. Our food supply is just so corrupt. Sometimes I think the best course of action would be to live on imported cheese and filtered water.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Joanie, I do know how lucky I am to have access to wholesome food here. It is very irritating to find more and more products on the shelves with nasty additives in them, so I have to be vigilant, but on the whole we are well served. The greens are something that really I should grow myself, I was being lazy when I bought them but it never crossed my mind to fear that they might harm us.

As for the milk, I keep quiet about it cos many people are wary of unpasteurised, and also of the high fat content. But the older generation should know that it's better (they have gradually been brainwashed though).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast