Thread: High Blood Pressure/cholesterol Question! page

FitDonna is offline Junior Member

Cool High Blood Pressure/cholesterol Question!

Primal Fuel
    HI! I have hereditary high cholesterol and high blood pressure(thanks parents!)....but, I've always been thin(5'6" 120) and had a healthy diet. 5 months ago I started eating Primal. I went to the dr a couple of days ago and my bp was 113/57. I still take 5mg of Lisinopril, but my dr. is considering taking me off of it after tapering to 2.5mg. I searched thru the PB book and can't really find anything that speaks to lowering blood pressure. I'm happy at the prospect of discontinuing the meds!
    The next big test will be checking my cholesterol level which usually hovers around 230 (with a great ratio despite the high#). I'm a little nervous about that since I am definitely consuming more fat (mostly healthy fat). Before going primal I lowered my # by 40 points by lowering my fat intake and increasing oatmeal! Needless to say, I'm not going to be eating any oatmeal.
    Anyone else with hereditary high cholesterol??
    How did your number change after primal eating?

holmes55 is offline Junior Member
    My mother has had high blood pressure for years. I am glad that I have not inherited that disease because it bugs me enough that I am kind of careful with what I eat. I avoid fatty and oily foods since that contributes a lot to my cholesterol level. I try to watch my weight and lose those extra pounds. I also exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, reduce sodium in my diet, and limit the amount of alcohol I drink. Prevention is always better than trying to find a cure. Unlike myself, my mother finds it challenging to manage her diet properly and watch what she eats.
    Last edited by holmes55; 02-12-2014 at 01:50 PM.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Hypertension I've found a lot of help by getting better sodium/magnesium/potassium levels/ratios. For potassium, forget about pill form... 99mg per pill (3% of RDA). What you don't get from food, I use nu-salt... people say it tastes horrible, yeah if you pour it in your hand and lick it it's bitter. I can put tons of it on food and it doesn't taste a darn bit different NaCl table salt. I can actually get almost 100% of my RDA from one baked/boiled potato and this without the potato tasting too salty (I don't regularly dump that much on one, I was just amazed at how well a potato soaks up the taste so kept adding more and more and folding it into boiled potatos until I could start to really taste it strong).

For sodium should be fine if you aren't eating a lot of processed foods, you may actually need to add some good salt to your food if you aren't getting enough from food. As far as salt spiking BP only a small subset of the population is actually salt sensitive and doctors are idiots when they try to put people on low sodium diets, they don't need low sodium they need to just stop eating 15x what their body needs every day by cutting out processed foods.

For magnesium, I take 4 mag-tab (hands down my favorite magnesium source) a day and a nickel-quarter sized blog of Magnegel before bed on my inner forearms. (I don't eat a lot of magnesium rich foods, even if you did it's next to impossible to get what you need).

There is also a book that gives semi-decent recommendations for other things to investigate (I've only noticed benefit from some of them myself) Clinical Natural Medicine Handbook, Chris D. Meletis, Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. 2006... you want Chapter 19 - Taming High Blood Pressure Naturally. Here is the paragraph on what they investigated, if you want to read more on each compound then find the text.

The first intervention for hypertensive treatment common to all fields of medicine is to incorporate diet and lifestyle changes, such as increased exercise, increased consumption of magnesium and potassium, and a low-sodium diet. Beyond these first steps to set the foundation, the realm of specific supplementation protocols are individually customized and frequently include coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), hawthorn (Crataegus spp.) berry extract, olive (Olea europaea) leaf extract, garlic (Allium sativum), coleus (Coleus forskohlii), omega-3 fatty acids, and L-arginine. Clinical practice routinely demonstrates that a multifactorial approach of lifestyle changes combined with appropriate supplements can make a significant impact on hypertension. The ‘‘bottom line’’ when creating a therapeutic intervention for a patient who has hypertension is to achieve a normotensive state safely with as few side effects as possible, while supporting overall cardiovascular health in a manner that is sustainable for a lifetime.
    If you wanted to investigate those the book recommends, out of the ones I've tried I noticed some improvement with:
    ** coq10 - I'd look at something that is Ubiquinol as it's more bioavilable, less goes farther like Jarrow Formulas Ubiquinol
    ** hawthorn - worked alright for me (temporary effect though) if I held it sublingually. I used Nature's Answer
    ** garlic - I added more to my food and used some capsules (don't know which, garlic is garlic)
    Last edited by ryanmercer; 02-10-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    You can also do further reading via all of these. Some of them are readily found online in their entirety.

- American Heart Association. High Blood Pressure Statistics. Available at: www.americanheart.org= presenter.jhtml?identifier 212. Accessed November 13, 2007.

- French MT, Mundt MP, Fleming M, Zavala SK. The cost of medical care for patients with diabetes, hypertension and both conditions: Does alcohol use play a role? J Intern Med. 2005;258:45–54.

- McGuire HL, Svetkey LP, Harsha DW, et al. Comprehensive lifestyle modification and blood pressure control: A review of the PREMIER trial. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2004;6:383–390.

- Geleijnse JM, Kok FJ, Grobbee DE. Impact of dietary and lifestyle factors on the prevalence of hypertension in Western populations. Eur J Public Health. 2004;14:235–239.

- Burke V, Hodgson JM, Beilin LJ, Giangiulioi N, Rogers P, Puddey IB. Dietary protein and soluble fiber reduce ambulatory blood pressure in treated hypertensives. Hypertension. 2001 Oct;38(4):821–826.

- Yamagami T, Shibata N, Folkers K. Bioenergetics in clinical medicine: VIII. Administration of coenzyme Q10 to patients with essential hypertension. Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol. 1976;721–727.

- Langsjoen P, Langsjoen P, Willis R, Folkers K. Coenzyme Q10 in essential hypertension. Mol Aspects Med. 1994;15(suppl.):S257–S263.

- Langsjoen P, Langsjoen P, Willis R, Folkers K. Treatment of essential hypertension with coenzyme Q10. Mol Aspects Med. 1994;15(suppl.):S265–S272.

- Singh RB, Niaz MA, Rastogi SS, et al. Effect of hydrosoluble coenzyme Q10 on blood pressures and insulin resistance in hypertensive patients with coronary artery disease. J Hum Hypertens. 1999;13:203–208.

- Burke BE, Neuenschwander R, Olson RD. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of coenzyme Q10 in isolated systolic hypertension. South Med J. 2001; 94:1112–1117.

- Asgary S, Naderi GH, Sadeghi M, et al. Antihypertensive effect of Iranian Crataegus curvisepala Lind: A randomized, double-blind study. Drugs Exp Clin Res. 2004;30(5–6):221–225.

- Walker AF, Marakis G, Morris AP, Robinson PA. Promising hypotensive effect of hawthorn extract: A randomized double-blind pilot study of mild, essential hypertension. Phytother Res. 2002;16:48–54.

- Khayyal MT, el-Ghazaly MA, Abdallah DM, et al. Blood pressure lowering effect of an olive leaf extract (Olea europaea) in L-NAME induced hypertension in rats. Arzneimittelforschung. 2002;52:797–802.

- Somova LI, Shode FO, Mipando M. Cardiotonic and antidysrhythmic effects of oleanolic and ursolic acids, methyl maslinate and uvaol. Phytomedicine. 2004;11(2–3):121–129.

- Silagy CA, Neil HA. A meta-analysis of the effect of garlic on blood pressure. J Hypertens. 1994;12: 463– 468.

- Auer W, Eiber A, Herrkorn E., et al. Hypertension and hyperlipidaemia: Garlic helps in mild cases. Br J Clin Pract. 1990;69(suppl.):S3–S6.

- Dubey MP, Srimal RC, Nityanand S, Dhawan BN. Pharmacological studies on coleonol, a hypotensive diterpene from Coleus forskohlii. J Ethnopharmacol. 1981;3:1–13.

- Ishikawa Y. Isoform-targeted regulation of cardiac adenylyl cyclase. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2003; 41(suppl.1):S1–S4.

- Palloshi A, Fragasso G, Piatti P, et al. Effect of oral L-arginine on blood pressure and symptoms and endothelial function in patients with systemic hypertension, positive exercise tests, and normal coronary arteries. Am J Cardiol. 2004;93:933–935.

- Huynh NT, Tayek JA. Oral arginine reduces systemic blood pressure in type 2 diabetes: Its potential role in nitric oxide generation. J Am Coll Nutr. 2002;21:422– 427.

- Aviram M, Dornfeld L. Pomegranate juice consumption inhibits serum angiotensin converting enzyme activity and reduces systolic blood pressure. Atherosclerosis. 2001 Sep;158(1):195–198.

- Aviram M, Rosenblat M, Gaitini D, Nitecki S, Hoffman A, Dornfeld L, Volkova N, Presser D, Attias J, Liker H, Hayek T. Pomegranate juice consumption for 3 years by patients with carotid artery stenosis reduces common carotid intima-media thickness, blood pressure and LDL oxidation. Clin Nutr. 2004 Jun;23(3): 423– 433.

- Hidaka M, Okumura M, Fujita K, Ogikubo T, Yamasaki K, Iwakiri T, Setoguchi N, Arimori K. Effects of pomegranate juice on human cytochrome p450 3A (CYP3A) and carbamazepine pharmacokinetics in rats. Drug Metab Dispos. 2005 May;33(5):644–648. Epub 2005 Jan 26.

- Curtis CL, Hughes CE, Flannery CR, Little CB, Harwood JL, Caterson B. n-3 fatty acids specifically modulate catabolic factors involved in articular cartilage degradation. J Biol Chem. 2000 Jan 14;275(2): 721–724.

- Prisco D, Paniccia R, Bandinelli B, Filippini M, Francalanci I, Giusti B, Giurlani L, Gensini GF, Abbate R, Neri Serneri GG. Effect of medium-term supplementation with a moderate dose of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on blood pressure in mild hypertensive patients. Thromb Res. 1998 Aug 1;91(3):105–112.

- Toft I, Bønaa KH, Ingebretsen OC, Nordøy A, Jenssen T. Effects of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on glucose homeostasis and blood pressure in essential hypertension. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 1995 Dec 15;123(12):911–918.

- Sanjuliani AF, de Abreu Fagundes VG, Francischetti EA. Effects of magnesium on blood pressure and intracellular ion levels of Brazilian hypertensive patients. Int J Cardiol. 1996 Oct 11;56(2):177–183.

- Widman L, Wester PO, Stegmayr BK, Wirell M. The dose-dependent reduction in blood pressure through administration of magnesium. A double blind placebo controlled cross-over study. Am J Hypertens. 1993 Jan;6(1):41– 45.

- Weinberger MH, Wagner UL, Fineberg NS. The blood pressure effects of calcium supplementation in humans of known sodium responsiveness. Am J Hypertens. 1993 Sep;6(9):799–805.

- Jorde R, Bonaa KH. Calcium from dairy products, vitamin D intake, and blood pressure: The Tromso Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Jun;71(6):1530–1535.

- van Mierlo LA, Arends LR, Streppel MT, Zeegers MP, Kok FJ, Grobbee DE, Geleijnse JM. Blood pressure response to calcium supplementation: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Hum Hypertens. 2006 Aug;20(8):571–580. Epub 2006 May 4.

- Whelton PK, He J, Cutler JA, Brancati FL, Appel LJ, Follmann D, Klag MJ. Effects of oral potassium on blood pressure. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials. JAMA. 1997 May 28;277(20):1624– 1632.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz