Thread: Help me restart? page

Isisinabi is offline Member

Help me restart?

Shop Now
    Over the last year I lost 100lbs through paleo. I realize that's all water so now I'm at 250 and ready to lose the rest. Problem is something happened and now all I'm able to do is maintain. So I'm trying to take a look and fix this.

I'm 33, Female, 250. I am 85/15 paleo and I consume coffee, 2 cups a day. Water/ tea rest of the day.

On a constant basis I eat 3 bacon 2 eggs breakfast, either salad (that I put olive oil in)or stew (homemade with celery, onion, mushroom, carrots, sweet potato). Dinner is either salmon with little rice, stew, chicken with kale or green beans, or roast. I also only drink almond milk in my coffee and have that in the morning with breakfast, about 2 cups.

I either dance for 30 min 2 times a week or walk same amount of time. I tried lifting for a while but last year I tore a ligament in my shoulder which makes lifting painful and I have a right toe injury and I can't flex it that well when I try to do squats.

So now I'm at a loss of what to do going forward.I have the primal blueprint already and I'm not sure if I have to pay for a gym membership now to lift stuff or do crossfit or what. I refuse to sprint btw I have far too much fat to be running let alone throwing it around trying to sprint somewhere and possibly breaking something as well as being embarrassed.

Links and ideas are appreciated.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    First off, that 100 pounds was not all water. That's an incredible amount to lose - well done!

You may be at a point where you have to start looking at portion sizes since you just don't need as much food as you did 100 pounds ago. I would also substitute the bacon for something leaner at least a few mornings a week, but that's just me.

More exercise! The 30 mins of walking should be happening most days of the week, not just two. The dance is good, but weight bearing exercise may help a lot, too. You don't need a gym membership of crossfit for that - get some dumbbells and a kettlebell or two and do exercises with those at home. Read the PB fitness guide if you haven't already. Body weight exercises can do a lot for improving your fitness levels.

You may also just need to give your body time to adjust to its new, much smaller self. Keep eating well, moving more and be patient. You've already come so far!

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    First off, that 100 pounds was not all water. That's an incredible amount to lose - well done!

You may be at a point where you have to start looking at portion sizes since you just don't need as much food as you did 100 pounds ago. I would also substitute the bacon for something leaner at least a few mornings a week, but that's just me.

More exercise! The 30 mins of walking should be happening most days of the week, not just two. The dance is good, but weight bearing exercise may help a lot, too. You don't need a gym membership of crossfit for that - get some dumbbells and a kettlebell or two and do exercises with those at home. Read the PB fitness guide if you haven't already. Body weight exercises can do a lot for improving your fitness levels.

You may also just need to give your body time to adjust to its new, much smaller self. Keep eating well, moving more and be patient. You've already come so far!
    Absolutely this. Great job so far, now it's just keeping it going.
    This might be of interest:
    http://i.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/as...r-40kg-lighter

Also, I think Nixxy's journal is pretty damn inspiring too: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread56175.html
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Isisinabi is offline Member
    Thanks. I can increase my efforts but I curious if I'm eating the right ratio of things. My budget isn't big enough to do a lot of different things just what's normally found on your average grocery store.

I know Mark said is 80% what you eat and I'm afraid that the introduction of things like the sweet potatoes and rice are throwing me off, but I'm not experienced enough to tell. I also made the mistake of having a gluten free cake for my birthday so now I'm on a sugar rush and am trying to substitute fruit for my sugar, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to completely forgo all of it since I'm having a hard time just eating little a bit once a week or so. It's like I have no control or something.

Restating is harder than it was starting out the first time and went cold turkey at it!

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    There's no reason why sweet potatoes, rice and fruit can't have a place in a healthy diet that can help you continue to lose weight. Focus on the protein, eat a variety of veggies, add some starches and/or fruit every day. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you aren't any longer.

Dropping your carbs lower (as in Mark's carb curve, around 50g/day for weight loss) may well work wonders for you, but it's not necessary. To me, a reasonable balance of all macros is ideal. If you find you're craving sugar, don't keep junk in the house. Eat a piece of fruit or two. It won't derail all your efforts.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Eating (and living) primally helped me feel better, but I wasn't able to get lasting weight loss. The thing that HAS worked for me, in conjunction with primal low-carb, is Alternate Day Fasting. You might like to take a look at the information and see if it interests you. There is a thread here on MDA on the nutrition page:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81577.html

and the author of a book on the subject, Dr. Johnson, has a web page. (Google Johnson Up Day Down Day)

and the diet forum at Lowcarbfriends has an active JUDDD board with many information threads:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81577.html

My personal experience is: female, 49years old, 5'8". Fluctuated between 200 and 175 on primal, always gaining back with no maintenance. The slightest slip, and I would go off plan and have a hard time getting back on, even though poor eating made me feel like crap. Started ADF in March 20i3 at 202 pounds. I am down to 160 pounds. I have had several mini-maintenances in there. The biggest thing, though, is that I am able to recover quickly from non-primal or carby slips, and get back on track.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!