Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Advice

Vacation Advice

Shop Now
    I just started eating primal again, but am about to go on a cruise. I don't mind giving up bread, but would like to enjoy the occasional dessert and, more importantly, sample cocktails. Any advice for me? IF maybe? I plan on exercising while I am there.

If eating gluten doesn't give you any symptoms that would impact your enjoyment of the cruise, go ahead and eat what you want.

Don't go on the cruise. I'll suck it up and take your ticket.
    The Champagne of Beards

I'll pass on THAT offer, but thanks.

Then enjoy the cruise. Stressing about it is probably worse than eating the crap. Be good when you get back.
    The Champagne of Beards

Heh! I went on a cruise this summer... what I did was, I ate very paleo for breakfast and lunch. Lunch was often on shore and fresh fish, every time. Dinner was where I had a dessert and some alcohol. I gained only four pounds. Also, the ship had a personal trainer so I got some sessions. I also paid for the week long spa pass... best value ever. Have fun!

I use the "gourmet exemption", choosing the things that contain some artistry and love and not just pasta that came out of a box because it's temporarily legal. I also target soup, salad, protein, and safe starch first so the treats are used for flavor and not fillup.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Nothing wrong with some cocktails or desserts. There should be plenty of food you can fill up on that is primal.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

I'm going to suggest you DON'T go hog wild on the cruise. Why? Because by the second or third day you will feel like crap, be bloatd like a balloon, and hate that you did that to yourself. Who enjoys a trip when they feel gross?!

So I'd employ a combination of "is it worth it?" and the 5-bite diet. Don't laugh! The first 3-5 bites of something is what you really taste and enjoy, and the rest is just eating it for the sake of eating it. Honest. Really want cake? Is it worth it? Have 5 sensible, human-not shark-sized bites of it, then set it aside. If you do this, then you'd be surprised how little junk you actually consume amount-wise, but just how much you still get to enjoy.

I would also ALWAYS avoid pasta. It is so easy to do, just don't choose the pasta option. That much wheat on a plate sure ruins my holiday.

Up to you whether you want to further limit dessert to just one meal (i.e. dinner) or enjoy at lunch and dinner. But the 3-5 bites thing (share with someone!) will help.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Vacation Advice

Shop Now
    Sample cocktails. Don't eat baked goods. Get a small ice cream and maybe flourless chocolate cake so you don't feel deprived. If it is a buffet scenario and you absolutely cannot say no, get the smallest slice of everything and nibble on all of them without really eating the whole portion.

I find that the longer I stay away from flour-based stuff the more I can say no. Last night I baked 3 types of cookies and I wasn't tempted to eat any of them....
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel