Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Advice for Squats for Someone with a Full Hip Replacement? page

JimenyKrickets is offline Senior Member

Any Advice for Squats for Someone with a Full Hip Replacement?

Primal Fuel
    Hey,

I won't go in to details, but I had one of my hips replaced in my late 20's. Everything has been going very well but I would like to safely add some leg strength exercises to my routine. For the last handful you years, my only leg exercise has been elliptical tredmill and swimming. I am starting to do a few reps using light weights on a hip sled using some recommendations from my PT.

I am just look for some suggestions or share experiences with anyone else in the same boat.

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    Hey there! I don't have any expert advice, but I think squats would be great for you (anyone actually!). Can you get into a squat position comfortably using just your body weight? That would be with feet flat and hips down to parallel, at least. Do you have the primal blueprint fitness handbook? Mark has many videos showing proper form and the progression to get there. Once you're doing well with just your body weight then you can consider adding a barbell. Hope this helps!!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Artificial hips are a no-go for heavy lifting, aren't they?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JimenyKrickets is offline Senior Member
    I have been given conflicting info from a couple doctors but my gut feeling is heavy lifting with the robohip is a bad idea. I have been doing elliptical treadmills and swimming and have gotten a lot of my coordination back. I would like to get a little more strength back though (nothing dramatic mind you). I might try lunges with no added weight and count my blessings.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    With absolutely 0 experience of my own to speak of, I would say absolutely try bodyweight exercises, and proceed with caution. You can get plenty of strength from bodyweight alone!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

HaggisWhisperer is offline Junior Member
    I have a total hip replacement and I understand where you are coming from wanting to add in some more exercises (I am 42 and had the op nearly 3 years ago). I currently also have a rotator cuff problem so I feel like I am falling apart Anyway, I do squats, but instead of doing them in the middle of the floor, I do them using a big gym ball against a wall - it rolls down with me to add extra support so is easier on the hip. The lunges would probably be OK as well, although I might have to support myself on one side by holding onto something. I would avoid the heavy lifting while standing. There are other leg exercises you can do with the gym/swiss ball as well - it is a handy bit of kit.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Don't do weighted squats with an artificial hip. Bodyweight squats should be fine. Up the resistance on the elliptical machine. Push around or drag a weighted sled. Listen to your body. If it hurts or "just doesn't feel right" don't do it. You were young for getting a hip. You need to get lots of miles out of this one, because they do eventually wear out.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Definitely follow the advice of trained medical professionals on this one.

If regular BW squats get too easy maybe look to doing them super slow or pre-exhausting your quads first by doing a static wall sit for a minute or so before doing regular reps straight after.

gergirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Definitely follow the advice of trained medical professionals on this one.

If regular BW squats get too easy maybe look to doing them super slow or pre-exhausting your quads first by doing a static wall sit for a minute or so before doing regular reps straight after.
    great idea, even for someone with his own hips thanks for the inspiration, because I feel like my joints need a break from too much squatting!

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    great idea, even for someone with his own hips thanks for the inspiration, because I feel like my joints need a break from too much squatting!
    You won't thank me after trying them, LOL !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast