Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understanding grains page

Kmajor is offline Junior Member

Understanding grains

I understand the basic concept about grains (what they are) but I have been wondering about Ezekiel bread. It says it's made from "sprouted grains". Are wheat and spelt sprouts still grains?

dacec is offline Senior Member
    It will be interesting to hear what others have to say on this....in my book the sprouted grains become veggies, yet I haven't noticed anyone talking about Ezekiel bread here.
    I don't eat it, because I am not really a fan.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    These sorts of labels like "grains" and "veggies" aren't helpful in attaining our goals. They're vague and inaccurate. Take quinoa, it is a seed, but it acts like a grain. You sprout a grain and it becomes a little plant, but it still has the constituents of grains. They're still not healthy, they still have a fair bit of phytotoxin action and still have poor bioavailability compared with meat and veggie veggies. We do have an 80/20 rule and if someone absolutely has to have some bread here or there, it would be a good option, but this isn't the kind of food we want to be building healthy bodies out of.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    There isn't an animal on this earth that eats grains. Except Humans. That tells me something.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by invino77 View Post
    There isn't an animal on this earth that eats grains. Except Humans. That tells me something.
    Really?
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by invino77 View Post
    Quoting this for posterity

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'd better tell my cattle and sheep to spit out all the tops of the grass they eat....

Back to OP.
    Hmm.
    I'd avoid it because your sprout is still mainly a grain, if you get me. Presumably they grind up the little husk and all?
    However, at what point does a sprout become a veg - I'm thinking beansprouts for example? Start off as mung beans, if you eat them when they're a few inches tall, has the chemical protection been downgraded?

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Sprouted and fermented grains are perfectly safe, provided that you have a decently healthy metabolism.

If you've been living on chocodiles and cheetos for 40 years straight, stay away.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Wanderer is offline Junior Member
    Hi, I'm new here and just posted an intro (linking to this thread).
    I've been studying all this primal stuff with great interest and trying to take it all in. However the way I learn best is to question everything, and then usually question every answer. I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, I am just trying to understand; please bear with me.

A few things around the blog and forum have confused me. In this particular thread I see the grain issue and mention of all grains being the same or a carb is a carb etc. It seems sprouted grains are being shot down. I have seen similar points made by Mark throughout his blog. But at the same time I come across posts like this
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sisso...t-loaf-around/
    A few paragraphs down Mark says :
    "A reader asked what kinds of carbs I eat. For breakfast, I sometimes eat a slice of sprouted-grain toast with organic nut spread (like almond butter). A few times a week, I enjoy brown rice or whole-grain pasta with my dinner vegetable plate. I favor squashes and legumes over grains. But on the whole, I stick to vegetables and protein – I just don’t really “do” carbs."

A few times a week brown rice? Sprouted grain bread? Legumes?
    Not so evil I guess.

Or here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/are-t...ny-good-carbs/
    "I think an occasional slice of sprouted-grain bread is fine, particularly if you’re an avid exerciser (and I hope you are). "

Also you will note that although I have seen in many areas of the blog that legumes are bad, but here he places them in the "ok" category and in another post has a pyramid (can't find it at the moment that has legumes in the middle.

I have also seen many variations on the theme on the forums. It seems that this is all a template and that there are variations? I'm just trying to get a better understanding and inconsistencies tend to throw me off and send me back to square one.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wanderer,
    You are blowing me away. I'm new and learning too, so I'll be waiting for all the responses that are sure to follow. Good questions - thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast