Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice cooker help page

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member

Rice cooker help

What's everyone's ration regarding rice and liquid in their rice cooker?

What's everyone's ratio?

I have been using 1 cup of rice to 1.5 of liquid (being water , stock etc) with a tsp of salt and a little fat (5g of Butter). But with some hit & miss results

Thx in advance

From London England UK

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I haven't owned a rice cooker in a long time, but I thought it was one cup rice to two cups water. I also remember my Japanese roommates teaching me to put the rice in and add water until it comes up to the first joint of your index finger. What kind of rice are you using. Do you rinse it first?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    I usually use 1:1.5 ratio of rice to water. A bit more w brown rice.
    My hub also says 1 knuckle rice, 2 knuckles water
    We barely make rice these days but a streamer is so easy. Ours in one of our last teflon coated products (that and a cookie sheet). If I do replace, will be looking for non teflon. Any recommendations?
    Thx
    K
    K

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I usually use one part of rice to one and a third parts of water for most types of rice, including short grain, regular long grain (including jasmine), and sweet rice, both white and brown. Genuine Basmati rice (the kind that cooks up really long) takes two and a third parts of water per part of rice.

It is good to allow the rice to soak for a couple of hours before turning on the rice cooker.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the rice. Brown rice usually is 2:1. White rice usually 1.5:1. When in doubt I use my google-fu.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It depends on your rice cooker, too. The better the rice cooker, the less water it takes. I have a big cheap rice cooker that uses a lot more water than my little Zojirushi neuro fuzzy logic cooker.

Fdispenza is offline Senior Member
    I use 1 : 1.25 rice : water, plus a splash of evoo, and a pinch of salt. For brown rice it's 1:2 rice:water.
    "Our dearest friend banished, Loki on the throne, Asgard on the brink of war, yet you've managed to consume four wild boars, six pheasants, a side of beef, and two casks of ale. Shame on you, don't you care?"

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    For white rice, I use 1 cup rice to 1.25 cup water.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    It really does depend on the rice RC. We have an Indonesian chef living with us and she uses her rice cooker all the time. With the long grain Japanese rice we always use 1 cup to 1 cup. It does say this on the front of the machine. My suggestion is google the brand and check. She never adds anything else during the cooking part, however does add other ingreds after, ie salt etc......
    good luck.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'll let you into the extremely scientific method used by my Malaysian family for many generations.

Place rice in cooker (however many cups you think you need), rinse with cold water and pour off, rinse and repeat until water is no longer cloudy, add fresh cold water until the water is a knuckle above the top of the rice

By that I mean you have settled the rice so it's all level and you put your index finger in the pot until the top of your your finger touches the rice and the water comes up to the 1st knuckle of your finger.

Bizarrely it works no matter who does it, whether it's the tiny 83yo grandmother or the 5' 10"grandson with hands like meathooks. We all do it the same and the rice cones out just right.

We generally use Thai jasmine rice cooked more sticky style so it clumps together, target than like the fall apart individual grains Indian basmati style rice.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast