Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rice cooker help page 2

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I was shown YEARS (35 or so) ago by a Sri Lankan friend how he does rice and it never fails. To one mug of basmati rice, 2.5 mugs of water. Don't wash the rice; simply pour it into a wide saucepan, add the water stir once and put to heat. Don't cover. Bring to boil, turn down to a simmer and leave it alone - eventually the surface is covered in little sort of craters and tipping the pan slightly shows no water left. At this point take off heat and cover, leave for 5 minutes then stir through gently, add salt or flavourings or serve as it is.

The rice always comes out perfectly; separate grains, not sticky at all and so easy!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I usually use 3 parts water to 1 part rice, but I almost always make such a small amount (1/4 c dry) that if I did 1.5 to 1, the water would steam off too quickly. If I make more than 1/2 cup dry, I use 2.5 to one. I like my rice soft and starchy.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Heyo Jay is offline Senior Member
    I like my rice soft. No better tasting rice than that. So I add a lil bit extra water. Maybe half an inch more.
    My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Katya is offline Junior Member
    I have two types of rice in the house and my rice cooker is a cheapy one.

my Asian rice is 1.5 (rice):2.0 (water)
    and my other rice is sona masoori. I have to go to the Indian grocery store to get it, but it has the lowest starch content of any rice.
    1:2
    I never thought about adding butter.
    Female, 5'3" small frame
    Highest Weight (not pregnant) : 210
    Starting Weight : 192
    Current Weight: 184
    Goal Weight: 120

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I do 1 cup rice to 2 cups fluids. Some times the fluid is 1 cup bone broth 1 cup water. No butter needed unless I am not making plain rice but a pilaf.

It really depends on how many cups rice you are cooking, how many cups total can your rice cooker cook, the speed setting, the type of rice, and what are you using the rice for (immediate consumption? Fried rice? Etc).
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

karoljose is offline Junior Member

Rice Cooker

Well talking about effectively using a rice cooker, it is pretty much self-explanatory and you shouldn't have to worry about when the rice will be done. It's supposed to be automatic. Add the appropriate number of cups of rice (how much rice you want e.g. 3 cups) and add water until it reaches the line of the number that is the same as the number of the cups of rice you added. For example, you want to cook 3 cups of rice. Then add water until it reaches the line that says "3." Nowadays, there various brands of rice cooker available at online stores like UBMmarketing which are very much user friendly and hassle free to maintain. I m sure after this your query would be resolved.
    Last edited by karoljose; 03-24-2014 at 11:00 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by karoljose View Post
    Well talking about effectively using a rice cooker, it is pretty much self-explanatory and you shouldn't have to worry about when the rice will be done. It's supposed to be automatic. Add the appropriate number of cups of rice (how much rice you want e.g. 3 cups) and add water until it reaches the line of the number that is the same as the number of the cups of rice you added. For example, you want to cook 3 cups of rice. Then add water until it reaches the line that says "3." Nowadays, there various brands of rice cooker available at online stores like UBMmarketing which are very much user friendly and hassle free to maintain. I m sure after this your query would be resolved.
    Gosh, I never thought to put spam in the rice cooker. I like mine crispy.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12