Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling with strict paleo :-( page

Struggling with strict paleo :-(

Primal Fuel
    Its not so much that I'm craving other foods, just getting a bit bored and overeating...
    When hunger calls I tuck into some nuts or seeds usually. Im eating a lot of meat, probably about 500g per day plus a couple of eggs and / or tin of tuna or mackerel. My weight has plateau-ed at 230lb (6'2") and I'm starting to feel a bit negative about it all.
    I have a large amout of veg, raw or lightly stir fried, and usually have two pieces of fruit each day (orange, apple, pear, strawberry).

My questions

Would you advise white rice to introduce some carbs back?

I read somewhere (PHD I think) that green beans and peas were ok and not treated like other legumes....that would be most welcome if true - any views?

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    PO.TA.TOES
    White rice is fine too.
    Fruits as you like with meals.
    Legumes: process them before eating -> soak them in warm water for 24h, boil them hard 15mn and let simmer for 2 hours. Then you can eat them, cool them down and stir-fry them the day after. Lots of processing that puts me off most of the time.

But PO.TA.TOES

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    If it's a real food that grew in the ground or ran on legs, and isn't correlated with any negative health issues, have at it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Legumes: process them before eating -> soak them in warm water for 24h, boil them hard 15mn and let simmer for 2 hours. Then you can eat them, cool them down and stir-fry them the day after.
    Does anyone really do this? Do you actually expect someone to do this? After this much processing, you could drink them with a straw.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Does anyone really do this? Do you actually expect someone to do this? After this much processing, you could drink them with a straw.
    That's pretty much how you cook dried beans. Soak/Boil/Simmer.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

poing is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Does anyone really do this? Do you actually expect someone to do this?

I do. Letting a bowl of stuff soak on the counter isn't exactly hard work. I often plan ahead otherwise there won't be food in the house - and there's surprisingly little that I can eat off the shelf, so not planning ahead means being hungry. Beans might need several hours of cooking, but lentils only need 30-40 minutes, otherwise they become mush.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Oh, my apologies. I was not thinking about dry beans...way too much work for me!

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    Eat some sweet potatoes lol...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I do. I go for black beans rather than kidney, they don't turn into mush for me. Then again, I soak them in whey from making my own quark rather than water.

Oh, my apologies. I was not thinking about dry beans...way too much work for me!
    Well, it's not like you carry that bowl around cradling it...

You do know that you should presoak and dry out your nuts and seeds the same way, right?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Caveman View Post
    Its not so much that I'm craving other foods, just getting a bit bored and overeating...
    When hunger calls I tuck into some nuts or seeds usually. Im eating a lot of meat, probably about 500g per day plus a couple of eggs and / or tin of tuna or mackerel. My weight has plateau-ed at 230lb (6'2") and I'm starting to feel a bit negative about it all.
    I have a large amout of veg, raw or lightly stir fried, and usually have two pieces of fruit each day (orange, apple, pear, strawberry).

My questions

Would you advise white rice to introduce some carbs back?

I read somewhere (PHD I think) that green beans and peas were ok and not treated like other legumes....that would be most welcome if true - any views?
    Search for paleo recipes. Pasta-type dishes with spaghetti squash as an example. Lots of meals you can create that are not just plain meat and vegetable.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast