Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with strict paleo :-( page 4

Primal Fuel
    Plenty of colourful veggies, with cajun spiced chicken breast - yum!
    Attached Images Attached Images

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Caveman View Post
    Plenty of colourful veggies, with cajun spiced chicken breast - yum!
    Attachments will take FOREVER to get approved. Most people don't bother anymore.

Pictures posted via internet link are pretty much immediate.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Does anyone really do this? Do you actually expect someone to do this? After this much processing, you could drink them with a straw.

Oh, my apologies. I was not thinking about dry beans...way too much work for me!
    I leave a bowl of dried beans soaking overnight a couple of times a week. Drain, rinse, 20 minutes in a pressure cooker, done. It's absolutely no more work than prepping / cooking a load of fresh veg or going to the butchers to buy a steak. Takes me all of one minute to put the beans to soak, and another minute to get them into the pressure cooker. The rest of the time, they are pretty much looking after themselves!

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Caveman View Post
    Its not so much that I'm craving other foods, just getting a bit bored and overeating...
    When hunger calls I tuck into some nuts or seeds usually. Im eating a lot of meat, probably about 500g per day plus a couple of eggs and / or tin of tuna or mackerel. My weight has plateau-ed at 230lb (6'2") and I'm starting to feel a bit negative about it all.
    I have a large amout of veg, raw or lightly stir fried, and usually have two pieces of fruit each day (orange, apple, pear, strawberry).

My questions

Would you advise white rice to introduce some carbs back?

I read somewhere (PHD I think) that green beans and peas were ok and not treated like other legumes....that would be most welcome if true - any views?
    Hi. I ate very like you describe when I started eating primal / paleo (but not the nuts!) and I ate a lot of fat; either butter, beef dripping, olive oil etc. Lost some weight, then stalled and began to find I was feeling TIRED a lot. Then I read that potatoes were good, white rice was OK, very low carb was not required and I started adding back potatoes then some white rice. Bizarrely, weight began to drop off again (obviously I was eating less meat to allow room for the carbs - the veg remained high). And I was feeling better. Couple of years now with potatoes or rice at 2 meals out of 3, and feeling really good. The conclusion I came to pretty quickly was that VLC just wasn't me.

You might also like to look at the tread on resistant starch - I began that a few weeks ago and for me it is the final piece in the jigsaw. Brilliant!

6 feet tall, now about 150lbs. And have been that for 2+ years.

I have been following the resistant starch thread, looks intriguing. I think I may have been lulled into a false sense of security because I was eating healthy. After doing some calculations I am eating way to much calories! Im also aware that when I get agitated or anxious I immediately comfort eat.....at least its still paleo food at the moment, so my body is still detoxifying :-)

Im also anxious that increasing my carbs will increase my hunger..

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    IMHO if you eat refined processed to help carbs yes that is a likely reality. However eating a big huge 1lb sweet potato with some butter will not have the same effect at all.

I'm liking that sentiment! Bought some sweet potatoes today :-)

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Well... your hunger isn't satiated with pounds of nuts and 500g of meat. Try some fruit and some sweet potatoes for sure. No need to fear hunger. You are likely eating not just out of boredom but also using paleo-approved stuff as a crutch to fill a "void" that won't be filled with anything else other than some carbs.

I find monomeals (and more extreme, monofood days) really helpful for appetite suppression...be it just eggs, just bananas, just potatoes, just whatever it is. You should try it for a few days. Pick a food...the less processed it is the better. I have done it with all three listed above and it works.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    If it's just a bit of change you're looking for, I know a company called Tolerant makes pasta out of one ingredient: red lentils. Here's a link: https://www.navanfoods.com/tolerant-...-lentil-rotini

It's a little expensive for me, but if I were really craving something different, I'd go for it.

You also said you eat a lot of meat along with some tinned fish; have you considered switching the meat out for more fish? A hearty slab of alaskan caught salmon baked with fresh dill, onions and coconut oil has never done me wrong.

Good luck!

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Well... your hunger isn't satiated with pounds of nuts and 500g of meat. Try some fruit and some sweet potatoes for sure. No need to fear hunger. You are likely eating not just out of boredom but also using paleo-approved stuff as a crutch to fill a "void" that won't be filled with anything else other than some carbs.
    Sounds like sense now you have said it! I'm hungry and eating anything paleo rather than fall off the wagon. Except carbs.... In my case the increase in fat calories is staying on the belly :-(

On a seperate note, I'm getting a little concerned about a lack of exiting waste... maybe this should be a seperate thread?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast