Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal opinions on "Blue Zones" page

RezH is offline Senior Member

Primal opinions on "Blue Zones"

Primal Fuel
    What are some opinions of the diet and lifestyle of "Blue Zone" populations? For those that haven't read about it, there are certain areas in the world with a higher percentage of centenarians compared to other regions. Their lifestyles are marked by daily activity and high social integration.

However, their diets are low on meat, and high on whole grains and legumes. This is anti-Primal. What should we think about this?

Classic is offline Senior Member
    And where are these places?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    The diets of every society on earth are either low in meat or high in meat, twinkies and french fries. Name one soceity that eats the way Mark advocates, then compare. It's difficult to find modern day hunter-gatherers who aren't impoverished, unfortunately.

Epidemiology can suck it by the way.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    I just checked out their website- and took the longevity test - which said I would live to be 94 years old following my current diet and lifestyle - so i guess primal is a good thing! ( but,t he website does say "Focus on grains"...which...doesnt exactly go here.

That's just flagrantly silly. These people are nutter-butters.

venam is offline Member
    IMO, the blue zones doesn't indicate anything negative about primal living as portrayed by Mark.

For example, lets have a look at the Okinawans. The main problem is that some of the researchers say they have a low fat diet low in animal products (decide to follow the dogma instead of thinking). This is simply not true. Okinwans say their cuisine "begins with pig and ends with pig" and "every part of a pig can be eaten except its hooves and its oink." I invite you to look at traditional Okinawan dishes and tell me if they are low fat vegetarian dishes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa...kinawan_dishes . Now compare Okinawa to the rest of Japan. Okinawans eat more protein than the rest of Japan. They also get more of their carbs from non-grain sources like sweet potato and vegetables. As a result of higher protein and lower anti-nutrient consumption, they are also taller than the rest of Japan. Here is a link to the study I am quoting: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1407826

Abstract
    The present paper examines the relationship of nutritional status to further life expectancy and health status in the Japanese elderly based on 3 epidemiological studies.

1. Nutrient intakes in 94 Japanese centenarians investigated between 1972 and 1973 showed a higher proportion of animal protein to total proteins than in contemporary average Japanese.

2. High intakes of milk and fats and oils had favorable effects on 10-year (1976-1986) survivorship in 422 urban residents aged 69-71. The survivors revealed a longitudinal increase in intakes of animal foods such as eggs, milk, fish and meat over the 10 years.

3. Nutrient intakes were compared, based on 24-hour dietary records, between a sample from Okinawa Prefecture where life expectancies at birth and 65 were the longest in Japan, and a sample from Akita Prefecture where the life expectancies were much shorter. Intakes of Ca, Fe, vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and the proportion of energy from proteins and fats were significantly higher in the former than in the latter. Intakes of carbohydrates and NaCl were lower.
    Well, now it looks like Okinawans are supporting a PB style diet rather than what the media claims. They eat plenty of fish that keeps good O6:3 ratio. They eat more protein and animal foods in general. Fewer carbs, and most coming from vegetables, fruits, roots, and tubers instead of grains. Plenty of nutrients. Have a good social circle. Enjoy physical activity, etc. This is almost like what Mark prescribes.

The only thing I get from the Okinawans is not to be afraid of carbs like many other in the paleo community are. The funny thing is that paleo is no even low carb by definition, but well...

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    My wife is from the far south of Kyushu island, next stop Okinawa and I can vouch for everything above - if you've never eaten Southern Japanese stewed pork belly you don't know what high-fat meat is! People generally take the standard tokyo diet and say "look at what the okinawans eat!" Total BS.

venam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    My wife is from the far south of Kyushu island, next stop Okinawa and I can vouch for everything above - if you've never eaten Southern Japanese stewed pork belly you don't know what high-fat meat is! People generally take the standard tokyo diet and say "look at what the okinawans eat!" Total BS.
    What truly puzzles me is that somehow this gets turned into a low fat, low animal, high grain diet. IDK how these people can sleep at night, I mean, the study says straight out the opposite of what they write on the blue zone book. I have noticed that these books are somewhat entertaining but to always look for real sources (studies) that are not by the same authors/group.

Gator is offline Senior Member
    venam: All of that is fine for Okinawa. Now tell me about Loma Linda. Completely the other side of the coin and in some ways they do better than the Okinawans.

Just in case you don't know. Loma Linda is a Seventh Day Adventist community in California. The population is vegetarian, highly vegan. The people are among the healthiest and longest lived in the world. And they are Vegans!!!

Can you cite some credible references for that? Geographical epidemiology like the ones for Okinawa are mostly spot-on and reliable because universities and governments who are impartial tend to conduct them. Can the same be said for these people?

Either way I'm not ready to call all veganism completely deathly and unhealthy, especially compared to the SAD. There is no way in hell it is healthier than what Mark advocates. The problem with trying to falsify the primal blueprint with epidemiology is that there is no epidemiology to represent the primal blueprint. Hunter-gatherers have been known to have none of the disease of affluence but we can't measure longevity because they are usually impoverished and die early of infectious diseases, contaminated water, gettin' eated, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast