Thread: Anti-Pollution Masks page

spursberry is offline Member

Anti-Pollution Masks

Primal Fuel
    Hi there

I'm looking at getting an anti-pollution mask. I'm riding to work a lot more now and I live in a busy town (UK) so think it's a good idea

Like anything you can get very expensive ones. Like most people I'm broke and unable to buy expensive items...

So what should I look out for when buying an anti-pollution mask. There are lots of cheaper options out there but I don't know what it should and shouldn't have... So can any one shed some light on this please?

For those that are interested I've found these 3 options that I like - you may too - or maybe able to tell me whats best/ the problems with them.

11.99 - the most I'd pay (currently)

Neoprene Anti-Pollution Cycling/DIY Black Mask Carbon Filter NEOVISION | eBay

2.95 - it's from china so downside is it takes a long time and my experience with low prices items from china before are usually poor fitting items etc - but if they everything else looks in order I might try for this low price - it looks pretty cool as well! lol

New Motorcycle Anti-pollution Face Mask Mouth-muffle Dustproof Filter Blue EA | eBay

3.25 - same as above - from china - but different design etc

Bike Bicycle Cycling Motorcycle Anti-pollution Half Face Mouth-muffle Dust Mask | eBay

Thanks guys - and hope this also helps anyone else looking into this
    UK PBer

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale if you are interested.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Respiratory protection is usually dependent on the chemical that you might inhale. The only level of protection that would protect against any potentially harmful chemicals in pollution would be supplied air respirator, like what firefighters wear. Anything else is essentially a dust mask that will protect against some, but not all, containments in the air.

Also the degree of protection from the mask listed is only as good as the seal between the mask and your face. I can almost guarantee that when exerting yourself, you will get leakage around the edges of the mask. Proper respiratory protection is dependent on the seal of the mask. This can also be affected by facial hair. Fire fighting SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) is positive pressure so any leaks will result in breathing air escaping around the edges of the mask but will keep the containments out.

Long story short, you are probably almost as well off with a simple dust mask than one of the more expensive ones. Or tie a bandanna around your nose and mouth.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

RyanMercer - I would be interested but I just got one from China so sorted - thanks tho ;-)

texas.grok - thank you. I work for the fire service so perhaps I'll just borrow a BA set when cycling. Cheers for the heads up and saving me money :-) :-) :-)
    UK PBer

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spursberry View Post
    texas.grok - thank you. I work for the fire service so perhaps I'll just borrow a BA set when cycling. Cheers for the heads up and saving me money :-) :-) :-)
    No worries, don't forget to wear your Level "A" hazmat suit against the acid rain I'm an ex-vollie smoke sucker myself. I'll be in London Heathrow tomorrow this time on my way to the US for vacation and 3 weeks of fire school in Texas. Planning on a pint (or 3) of Theakston BB while in the airport. And yes, I know it ain't primal, don't start with me!
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spursberry View Post
    RyanMercer - I would be interested but I just got one from China so sorted - thanks tho ;-)

To add to Tex's bit, you could wear a Chemical & NBC mask but you'll be replacing costly filters every day. Tex conveyed my thought though, just more eloquently. Pffft.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

No worries, don't forget to wear your Level "A" hazmat suit against the acid rain I'm an ex-vollie smoke sucker myself. I'll be in London Heathrow tomorrow this time on my way to the US for vacation and 3 weeks of fire school in Texas. Planning on a pint (or 3) of Theakston BB while in the airport. And yes, I know it ain't primal, don't start with me!
    Aah - beer at the airport never counts… I'm sure I read that some where ;-)

Have a great time and thanks for the info
    UK PBer

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    To add to Tex's bit, you could wear a Chemical & NBC mask but you'll be replacing costly filters every day. Tex conveyed my thought though, just more eloquently. Pffft.
    Lol - thanks tho - think I'll just go with out. It was a nice idea but I totally see where you guys are coming from so I'll just not worry about it
    UK PBer