Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with a decent substitute for buns? page

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member

Anyone with a decent substitute for buns?

Shop Now
    Around Christmas time my wife makes what her family call "hamburger buns" these are homemade buns stuffed with ground beef, cabbage and spices - these are so damn good I could easily pig out on them - with the switch to paleo/primal eating I am looking for a decent substitute for traditional flour based buns so I can still enjoy them too.

Any help would be most appreciated!
    Thanks
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Could your wife try with a gluten free flour mix (rice and potato starch) if wheat is the root of the problem for you ?

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Substitute your wife's buns?

I don't know where to start...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    Substitute your wife's buns?

I don't know where to start...
    Let me clarify... her HAMBURGER buns...
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Do you have bad reactions to wheat? I personally only feel a little bloated so occasionally, when it's worth it, I just have the real thing. I really don't care for paleoized baked goods. If you have big problems with wheat, then I totally understand wanting a paleo version. Google Oopsie rolls and see what you think. I've made them and liked them. I much prefer the one with baking powder over the one with cream of tarter.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    Do you have bad reactions to wheat? I personally only feel a little bloated so occasionally, when it's worth it, I just have the real thing. I really don't care for paleoized baked goods. If you have big problems with wheat, then I totally understand wanting a paleo version. Google Oopsie rolls and see what you think. I've made them and liked them. I much prefer the one with baking powder over the one with cream of tarter.

I have no problems with eating wheat other than I'm trying not to. I have a willpower problem - these things are my kryptonite and have in the past lead me back into a SAD diet full of tasty tasty breads and bagels and the rest lol. But perhaps you are right - I need to just buck up and not eat the whole tray!

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Primate View Post
    I have no problems with eating wheat other than I'm trying not to. I have a willpower problem - these things are my kryptonite and have in the past lead me back into a SAD diet full of tasty tasty breads and bagels and the rest lol. But perhaps you are right - I need to just buck up and not eat the whole tray!
    Honestly, if it's just once a year, enjoy the hell out of it. I regularly eat lavash bread at an Iranian restaurant we go to; because it's freshly baked, and also part of tradition. I know you trying, but succeeding is having the will power to carry on as normal after you've 'cheated'. If you think you'll spiral put of control, don't. Food associated guilt won't help anything!

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Primate View Post
    Bread, bagels and pasta used to be my kryptonite as well. Rather than find a substitute, I simply voted them off my island with the exception of stuffing at Thanksgiving and Yorkshire pudding at Christmas.

If I wanted a burger, I wrapped it in lettuce. I think if I tried a paleoized version, it would not have satisfied me and would simply waken the dragon.

That's me though. I think everyone is different. I also had the good fortune of living alone, so I had a lot of control what was in my cupboards.

Your wife's buns sound very special, so I would say eat with no guilt, but again, that is how I would handle it. If it turns you into a bread and bagel fiend, well use it as a learning experience. :-)

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    If you only need a single serving the bread template is typically 1/4 cup bulk + 1 egg in a greased souffle cup or ramekin microwaved for 2 minutes, embellished however you like. 1/4 tsp baking powder and xanthan gum help too. The "bulk" can be whatever blend of non-grain starches/fibers you care to experiment with.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    ^ this. Or, an oopsie bun.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast