Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm feeling worse. page 2

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    First off, some people have illnesses. Not are being made ill by their food, but have actual illnesses that food adjustments might help, but won't resolve. So if you are that itchy, why not see a doctor? And you are newly going to a gym- sure you didn't pick up a skin infection there? It happens.

You are cutting dairy. As you may know, there is very good research on calcium levels and menstrual cramps. Though calcium supplements are a little looked down on because of their correlation with heart issues, a serving of Tums raises blood calcium levels no more than a glass of milk does. You may want to try it.

And yes, winter. I have three big psoriasis spots right now after having none for about a year and I totally blame winter.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    I think it's important to get the timeline straight. When did the skin issues start? How long have you been wheat and dairy free?
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Jennifla is online now Senior Member
    Have you had your vitamin D checked? I have found that if I skimp on vitamin D, I get eczema flares. When I completely cut out wheat and dairy last year, my skin cleared up. After 7 months of Primal, I ended up with fatigue and it was a combination of issues, including low vitamin D (in spite of daily 1-hour sun exposure). I began taking 10,000 IU daily. When my blood was tested this summer, my level was 40 ng/ml, improved, but still below the 50 ng/ml level that my doc wanted me to be at. I had run out of the high-dose vit D and thought that I could take 2,000 IU/day. It was a mistake. I immediately got rashes on my arms. So I went back to 10,000 IU/ day and my skin cleared up, but it took about 8 weeks. The state of my skin is what motivates me to stay strict with Primal eating.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Ariel,

I agree with the vitamin D3. At home blood testing your D3 levels. They should be 70 to 80 ng/ml per Dr. Davis & Dr. Kruse
    https://vitamindcouncil.zrtlab.com/

I also agree with eliminating all wheat product:
    http://tinyurl.com/Wheat-Health-Problems

I agree with distilled water. We distill all of the water we drink to eliminate the toxins of Fluoride & chemicals. Fluoride will cause skin problems & severe problems with the thyroid & female organs, because it imitates iodine and will displace iodine in the thyroid & female organs:
    Iodine deficiencies & dosages

What most women are not aware of is that Iodine is required by the female organs for optimal health. There is a national iodine deficiency that causes multiple female problems, including Fibrocystic Breast Disease, Ovary Cysts, Severe uterus problems, cold hands - cold feet (hypothyroid), and brain fog.

Here is a neat quiz to see if you are iodine deficient:
    Where Severe menstrual cramps, & Heavy menstrual bleeding are listed symptoms:
    Thyroid & Iodine Deficiency

Read this book, "The Iodine Crises," by Lynne Farrow:
    The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life: Lynne Farrow, David Brownstein MD: 9780986032004: Amazon.com: Books

Additional excellent books on this subject:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-books

Also see the following links:
    http://tinyurl.com/Iodine-Handout
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Grizz

Ariel C. McGlothin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Have you given this enough time? If your eczema and menstrual cramps have any kind of link to gluten or autoimmunity then it will take time to resolve. And if dry air makes your eczema worse, winter might be making your eczema worse temporarily.
    No there has probably not been enough time to see a lot of improvement. But what has been concerning to me is the worsening of the skin problem. Maybe the dry air alone is to blame, I do live in Jackson, WY, a pretty cold and dry place, but my skin has consistently improved in the last 7 years that I've lived here, and even in the winters was much better than when I lived in Pennsylvania. Until the last three weeks or so as I've tried to change my diet.
    ~Ariel

http://arielcsblog.blogspot.com/

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    My guess is you are still eating something that you are really allergic to. I suggest you get a food panel done through your Naturopath.

Have you ever tried taking Evening Primrose oil? I found that taking that every day stopped my cramping.
    Did you find you were only able to determine the foods you were allergic to through doing the panel? I've been hoping to avoid that as it is expensive.

And no, I've heard about evening primrose oil but that's one of the things I haven't tried yet. I did try borage oil for about a year with almost no noticeable difference. Did you ever experiment with borage oil? Right now I'm trying to increase magnesium and vitamin E and see if that helps at all.
    ~Ariel

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Have you looked at your water quality?
    I just wonder if the water treatment process where you live has changed recently, causing a resurgence of reaction to something your body doesn't like.
    Hmm... We do have pretty good water here in the mountains though our house is on city water. I'd thought about getting a filter for both our shower and drinking water but have not done so yet. To the best of my knowledge, our town does not use fluoride, but I am not sure what all they do use. And I didn't think about that the water treatment might have changed recently.
    ~Ariel

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    First off, some people have illnesses. Not are being made ill by their food, but have actual illnesses that food adjustments might help, but won't resolve. So if you are that itchy, why not see a doctor?
    I guess I haven't really thought about going to a doctor because through my whole childhood, any doctor my parents did take me to could not offer any real helpful advice. And I'm not trying to say I think all doctors are stupid or anything, I just think most that I've dealt with did not have much understanding of the underlying causes.

And you are newly going to a gym- sure you didn't pick up a skin infection there? It happens.
    I do go to a gym, but not newly. And I guess it doesn't seem real "new" just because now my skin is back to feeling as bad as when I was a child. But I suppose it could be being caused by something totally different this time.

You are cutting dairy. As you may know, there is very good research on calcium levels and menstrual cramps. Though calcium supplements are a little looked down on because of their correlation with heart issues, a serving of Tums raises blood calcium levels no more than a glass of milk does. You may want to try it.
    I'm giving magnesium and vitamin E a try right now, but if that doesn't help I will certainly think about adding calcium.

And yes, winter. I have three big psoriasis spots right now after having none for about a year and I totally blame winter.
    As I said above, I do live in a pretty cold and dry place, but my skin has consistently improved in the last 7 years that I've lived here, and even in the winters was much better than this. Until trying to replace the butter, cream, and yogurt part of my diet with other things which is why I'm suspecting that I may be intolerant of one or more of the items that I have increased consumption of.
    ~Ariel

Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post
    I think it's important to get the timeline straight. When did the skin issues start? How long have you been wheat and dairy free?
    Wheat free (mostly) for a little over 3 months. Dairy free (mostly) for the last 2 months. The resurgence of the skin problem, about 3 weeks ago. Assuming you're not talking about the fact that it originally started when I was an infant.
    ~Ariel

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifla View Post
    Have you had your vitamin D checked? .... So I went back to 10,000 IU/ day and my skin cleared up, but it took about 8 weeks. The state of my skin is what motivates me to stay strict with Primal eating.
    No I have not had it checked. This is an interesting thought especially as I've also been reading some stuff on high doses of vitamin D being helpful with cramping. Maybe I'll be off to pick up some vitamin D tomorrow. I haven't looked yet, but is it easy to find in that high of a dose?
    ~Ariel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast