Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about Adrenals? page

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member

Can we talk about Adrenals?

Primal Fuel
    I'm pulling this link that someone posted in another thread out so that I don't hijack the thread.
    http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com/...honeymoon.html

Who is this guy (it sounded in the other thread like he wasn't well liked around here) and what are his credentials? Is there anything to what he's saying specifically in this post? I'm asking because for me, adrenals are a big deal. For the last few years, I've been about this close --->| |<--- to adrenal fatigue myself. I have been on and off taking an adrenal supplement. Years of bad diet + awful chronic stress almost wiped me out. This is the first time that I've heard that going low carb can burn out your adrenals.

I haven't really been keeping track of my carbs lately. I know they've been fluctuating around under 100. I was considering tightening it up for a little while, perhaps put myself into ketosis, but if stressing my adrenals is going to be the outcome of that...then I can't. I'd like to hear other, more educated opinions on this before I become really concerned about it. Is this something that Mark has addressed on his blog?

Has anyone here dealt with adrenal fatigue or burnout? What were the effects of going primal? Is there a way to heal the adrenals?

sarak is offline Junior Member
    I have no answers but am very interested in hearing the replies

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    There are a few threads on this topic throughout the forum, so you may wish to start with a search. Check out the work of Dr. Wilson (http://www.adrenalfatigue.org). I have been using his Adrenal Rebuilder formula and following a mix of his protocol and PB, and it seems to be helping (said with cautious optimism). If it's in your budget, you might want to consider getting saliva testing done, too.

Autumn is offline Member
    Would someone take the time to give a quick explanation of this? Because I have no idea, but it seems important, so I’d really like to know. I Googled Adrenal and found out it’s a gland on the kidneys … but that’s about as smart as I got on that subject. I would probably need it in very lay mans terms as I’m not from an English speaking country.

Autumn

DigiSurg is offline Member

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Low carb eating will NOT 'burn out' your adrenals. This is just one of the many 'health myths' on the Internet.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    I agree with DisiSurg.
    I think you got that link to 180 Degree Health from me.
    I, too, am very worried about the potential detrimental effects Primal eating could have on me.
    But I watched several videos of the guy and such stuff, and I red most of Kruse's stuff (even if he's rather strange as a man, I mean, all the controversial aspect of his attitude) on Adrenal Fatigue, Hormone Imbalances, Leptin, Circadian rhythm, and it makes much more sense to me. I'm following his protocol at the moment minus the Cold Thermogenesis.

Even my doctor, who's working with Thierry Hertoghe, a very respected doctor in the Hormones Therapies domain, told me to eat lowish carbs with only Paleo foods.

(Oh and even if it sounds vain, I just have to go with how these guys look.
    Would you rather look like Ray Peat/Matt Stone or Mark Sisson/Dave Asprey (The Bulletproof Executive) ?
    My choice is made even if it's not a proof concerning their diet and science at all.)
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

"Fat has been known to trigger insulin resistance since the 1930's – and possibly even earlier than that. Whether it's saturated or unsaturated probably doesn't make a huge difference, but I lean towards saturated because of the metabolic properties of short and medium chain triglycerides vs. lots of omega 6."

That's what Matt Stone wrote in the comments section.
    HAHAHA
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Ray Peat on Fructose - YouTube
    Is Omega 3 Good or Bad - YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km1h3...lkw5JM6JyDIxSQ
    Do you really think he looks healthy ?
    I see thousand and thousand of people on this board who look healthier and better than him, and mostly older people !
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 11-14-2012 at 05:22 AM.

ezk
    ezk is offline Member
    Ray Peat looks good, even very good considering his age.
    Matt Stone is brilliant at what he does, he questions all of the nutrition myths, legends,
    unproven and probably dangerous diets.
    Paleo is fine as long as it does not go low carb/then it turns to a time question..
    Young males tend to get overexcited on LC Paleo.. I guess it wakes their "animal"
    side.
    It takes a different number of years to arrive to the conclusion Matt Stone is providing now..
    Eat the food, or cutting off major food groups without being born Eskimo or Massai usually
    ends in tears.
    Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast