Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should drugs be legalized? page 6

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    The fact is there are so many reasons why kids use drugs, I seriously doubt that whether drugs are illegal has anything to do with it.

My son (15 yrs old) so far shows no interest in altering his mind. Due to medical reasons he's had drugs and has never enjoyed the experience. He likes to be able to think clearly. He also doesn't like the taste of alcohol. Thankfully DS isn't at all attracted to kids that do drugs, he's perfectly fine with following his own path.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

I'm wondering... how/when did people suddenly or eventually be all "EWG, smoking/smokers = bad/disgusting!" Was it the "100th/ monkey" phenomenon? Or certain public service announcements? For those my age, who could forget the crying Indian for environmentalism?? What *really* works to make some things become out of vogue?

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I'm on the fence when it comes to legalization of drugs vs. decriminalization. On one hand currently there is the organized crime controlling the production and distribution - The Mafia (heroin), Jamaican gangs (crack), and the Medellin Cartel (cocaine) who would stand to lose billions in drug profits from legalization, especially those at the top of the hierarchy; on the other hand, those functions and profits would be transferred to the govt if drugs were to be legalized. There's no doubt that some illegal drugs are destructive and can potentially cause death, but so do many FDA approved ones....

Obviously the status quo - "the drug war" is a major failure, people will do what they want to do. The idea that anyone could have control over what I do with my body is plain ridiculous too.

In Portugal most drugs were decriminalized over 10 years ago, and this was proven to be a major success.

Ten Years Ago Portugal Legalized All Drugs -- What Happened Next? | Alternet

Because of our "democratic" voting system however I don't expect any drug related policies to change in this country any time in the near future.
    Although, in Portugal they only decriminalized personal possession. Distribution is still illegal. (That said, when I was in Lisbon this summer I was offered more drugs for purchase than the rest of my life combined, which in includes lots of music festivals and the like.) But I still think its a great example. If you actually care about decreasing drug use and drug related deaths, our current system is not working. You want to encourage people to seek treatment, you want people to be unafraid to call for help when their friend ODs? Look to Portugal.

I do tend to agree with some of the posters who thing the "War on Drugs" has a distinct racial/class element.

To quote Chris rock:
    "God forbid some brown people got wealthy... We can't have that! Because drugs come from brown countries. We can't have no wealthy brown people! "
    "And here's something man drugs are illegal but ATM machines are open twenty four hours a day. Twenty four hours a day. For who? Who the fuck is it open for? Have you ever taken out three hundred dollars at four o'clock in the morning for something positive. Shit when you press that machine at four o'clock in the morning I think a psychiatrist should pop up on the screen an go "c'mon man, save your money man. Don't buy drugs buy some rims."
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I'm wondering... how/when did people suddenly or eventually be all "EWG, smoking/smokers = bad/disgusting!" Was it the "100th/ monkey" phenomenon? Or certain public service announcements? For those my age, who could forget the crying Indian for environmentalism?? What *really* works to make some things become out of vogue?
    Sometimes I wonder if maybe Big Tobacco messed up on their campaign contributions one year.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think tobacco's biggest PR nightmare was the straight up lying. For years they kept parroting, "It's not addictive." Perhaps a little tough love would have worked. "It's addictive. So are alcohol and other things. It's for adult recreation. Use at your own risk."

But maybe not. The culture seems to need scapegoats, and smokers are easy marks. I live in a state where they leave it up to business owners. About a third of all bars are non-smoking. Almost all restaurants are non-smoking. It's pretty easy to be either here.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    The whole economy targets kids, they are the biggest most vulnerable market. I find it odd that people all of a sudden get protective of kids when it comes to drugs but all the other products that are marketed to kids are just fine. Set your 2 yr old in front of TV and start programing his brain while he's in a semi catatonic state and no ones going to criticize that!

Obviously having drugs illegal isn't going to make them unavailable.
    Thank you. Apparently no one else notices that....the goal of almost ALL marketing is to infantilize people, to turn all things into a "I have a taller stack of tinker-toys than you" and instant gratification/self-importance in doing so.

I have a question as well:
    How is it that a guy living next to the school selling drugs, targeting kids, etc, and the whole part about him MAKING HIS LIVING doing so is not the major focus? Why, in other words, is he making his living selling drugs, of all the other things he could potentially be selling?

Ex: Let us say that our creepy guy was trying to do the same thing with alcohol, something that teenagers often want and are forbidden to have....it is not however illegal to make or possess it, so long as you are not driving or selling it to those underage.....let's say our scumbag entrepreneur setup a business selling alcohol to teenagers, targeting them, instead of illegal drugs.

The obvious answer is that it would not work. The main thing that allows him to make substantial money from selling teenagers drugs is that supply is incredibly low (because it is illegal, and you are selling to a group that would get you an even stronger sentence if caught), but he does it why? Because he has a bottleneck of supply, making his prices, and thus his profits, very very high....if he tried to sell alcohol, a substance in which he would not have such a supply monopoly, it would no longer be profitable. There is no discussion of the drug trade that ignores the profit margin it gives to people....any changes to this, even minor ones whereupon the risk/reward is altered just slightly, could have huge affects on drug trafficking and use.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

I notice people's attitudes is to shrug their shoulders and say, "There's nothing we can do/Not my kid/Bad Parent!/Kids will be kids/etc." In my town, once your kid hits middle school, you're supposed to suddenly have them running around on their own, but a year before in elementary school you're a bad mom if you don't hold their hand in the parking lot. No joke.

I would like to ask that drug dealer of our town: "You did this for years, stymied the cops, 'no one cared', your quality of life somehow did not improve, and because your aging parents probably know the judge who very kindly gave you 2 years probation/2 years, you can't get a Real Job now, your name is now Mud... Was It Worth It?"

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    There is no discussion of the drug trade that ignores the profit margin it gives to people....any changes to this, even minor ones whereupon the risk/reward is altered just slightly, could have huge affects on drug trafficking and use.
    Exactly. Plus, if it is legal, and company A makes meth and company B makes meth, they will legally compete against each other, which in turn causes downward pressure on the price. However, the way it works now is that cartel/gang A makes and sells meth, and if cartel/gang B tries to sell it in the same market, they start fighting and killing each other for the turf, while still keeping the supply artificially low.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Wait, why do people seem to think there won't still be a black market for drugs if they're legal?

Sent via lightsaber

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Wait, why do people seem to think there won't still be a black market for drugs if they're legal?

Sent via lightsaber
    Because there will be a legal market. Why would you need to buy something from a gangster when you can buy it from your grocer's or pharmacist's shelves? Where's the black market for ibuprofen or diphenhydramine?
    The Champagne of Beards

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast