Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Should drugs be legalized? page 3

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychicsinlove View Post
    That is a myth, not on the rug. Most kids don't go to "the shady part of town" LOL. After my son and his friends (and the friends' parents) saw me take a stand, the energy and situation shifted dramatically.

My son knows that:

1. He's "not good for the dealers". That he is not smart enough to get away with doing something stupid.

2. My word is my bond. My property is my own. He is my child. End of story.

3. His friend group changed dramatically. They shaped up or shipped out.

4. It gave the parents of the social group permission to be active parents and reclaim their kid/property/town/life back

5. The energy in the house is completely different. From natural maturity (he's growing up), respect, focusing on other things. In our house it's like The Mafia meets The Lion King. Not worth it. There is more to life!

Once another adult goes on my property and gives substances my kid, it's ON and OVER for them. Sorry. No shady part of town left for them until I'm through with parenting.
    wow. you live in a bubble. must be nice.

how old is your son?

let's see... are you the type of parent who lived a sheltered life and are therefore blind to the world around you? or are you the type of parent who made all the mistakes in the world and now think that by overparenting your children that you can somehow save the world?

Let's put this in Paleo terms... Why would I raise my son, while hunting a woolly mammoth, to run off the cliff as well while chasing him? So why would I raise my son to get caught up in an illegal world and incarcerate or kill himself while in it? Wrong mammoth, wrong hunting group, wrong cliff.

Also, "Stay Away from Dangerous Things" i.e. a felon, hard drugs, "the law", stupid friends.

Yes, and I have lived and travelled all over the world. Have been in the Middle East and Central America during bombings and in Europe missing some of the same. See with both eyes open. Trained in Krav Maga. So it is easy for me to not be afraid to lay down the law in my house and chase people away from my property. I am pissed off that adults target kids.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I am pissed off that adults target kids.
    I think whatever status we give drugs, legal or illegal, kids will be targeted. It's unfortunate. Obviously, making drugs illegal for all ages doesn't keep them out of the hands of kids. Making drugs illegal for certain ages doesn't keep them out of the hands of kids. It's a problem that has to be dealt with by the family to keep kids away from drugs.

All legal versus illegal does is change who benefits from the sale of the drug. I guess you could make drugs legal, then very much restrict advertising, like cigarettes. Ciggies are a great case study in going from cool to holy crap gross within a couple of generations while keeping the product legal.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Let's put this in Paleo terms... Why would I raise my son, while hunting a woolly mammoth, to run off the cliff as well while chasing him? So why would I raise my son to get caught up in an illegal world and incarcerate or kill himself while in it? Wrong mammoth, wrong hunting group, wrong cliff.

Also, "Stay Away from Dangerous Things" i.e. a felon, hard drugs, "the law", stupid friends.

Yes, and I have lived and travelled all over the world. Have been in the Middle East and Central America during bombings and in Europe missing some of the same. See with both eyes open. Trained in Krav Maga. So it is easy for me to not be afraid to lay down the law in my house and chase people away from my property. I am pissed off that adults target kids.
    all i'm saying is that you can only teach your child so much. they're going to make their own decisions and you're not going to like all of them. if your child wants to eat shrooms, he's going to eat shrooms. maybe not today. maybe next weekend when his budd gets them from his older brother in college. maybe when he goes to college in a couple years. teaching him the proper skills is far more important than putting up a fence around him to keep the bad people away. I hope you realize that. oftentimes the kids with overprotective parents are the ones who go wild when they get to college because you haven't taught them how to function and make adult decisions.

the idea that drug dealers are "targeting" kids makes me think that you're not as worldly as you'd like to believe. perhaps you've watched one too many afterschool specials

Magnolia you are right. I don't want my family to get caught up in that "Money Trail" at any level. Life is hard enough! There is the trouble that comes with the drug (expulsion, jail, etc.) and then the trouble that comes from the drug itself (possible addiction, personality change, etc.).

I am very sensitive to "Energy Changes" (getting woo-woo here LOL) so I noticed at once that there was an interloper, as it were. It's amazing what Primal Teeth come out when it comes to your kids!!

notontherug this one was targeting kids. He lived next to the HS and is how he supported himself.

A question: For your children, would you let them cross the street by themselves before age 5? Would you let them travel two towns over on their own before age 10? Yes, I absolutely but a fence around my children before certain ages for different things. Yes, I give them freedom. Yes, I know they will do certain things at certain times.

But no hard drugs on my property please.

notontherug this one was targeting kids. He lived next to the HS and is how he supported himself.

A question: For your children, would you let them cross the street by themselves before age 5? Would you let them travel two towns over on their own before age 10? Yes, I absolutely but a fence around my children before certain ages for different things. Yes, I give them freedom. Yes, I know they will do certain things at certain times.

But no hard drugs on my property please.
    I see what you're saying. but you still haven't told us how old your child is. a 16 year old who has sex, smoked pot, or drank a couple beers is probably behind the average age of exposure nowadays.

another angle that i'd be curious to hear about would be your response to your child approaching you with questions about drugs. how would you handle that? do you give the "drugs are bad" speech, or do you talk about substances sensibly? what if your child approached you and said that they smoked pot at a party over the weekend. how would you handle that? what if they told you they drank beer at a party? what if they tried mushrooms at a party?

At the time he was 15. Smoked pot at 14.

We have had all the talks. Basically I told him about problems that can piggyback with the drugs (the law, expulsion, etc.) and the problems that can come with the drug itself (possible addiction, not making nationals b/c health isn't optimal, etc.)

He did come home smelling like pot the other month. I put my arms around him and said, "You smell different." Which let him know that I know. He became embarrassed and I haven't noticed anything since then.

Beer I half expected, but surprisingly he doesn't like alcohol. When we did the overprotective parent thing and checked his texts, there was a hundred line argument ~ his friend wanted him to take some of our vodka and give it to him. Son kept saying, "I don't drink man, I hate that stuff!" The other kids was aggressive, but finally gave up.

The shroom thing bothers me more because that is the drug of choice this year in our town. My friend works in the ER and A LOT of the HS'ers have been coming in. It turns out that they have been taking a lot of shrooms and they are found and taken to ER.

I told DS after arresting the dealer, basically, that if he does this stuff, that I will sign him up for more activities to fill up his time.

notontherug I totally, mentally get what you are saying. It changes when you have a kid. At least it did with me. Peace.

Edit: Now he is 16, and this stuff has calmed down considerably.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    as long as he has the proper foundation, he'll make the right choices. and sometimes the right choices include some experimentation. that is just how we humans work.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast