Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Should drugs be legalized? page 14

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Many in the thread are making the point that all drugs should be legal and that it will make a positive difference. I dont see it. After school special officianado or not, I dont see anything positive about it.
    I don't see an upside to having them illegal; people still abuse them and the system of production and distribution creates crime and safety issues.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Should drugs be legalized?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksson View Post
    I'm not trying to one up anyone and their experience with the underworld, just responding to the idea that my perception is from bad afternoon programming. And I'm not attacking you or anyone else. Just disagreeing. That's allowed right?

And this is where I understand the philosophy but dont understand how you would think individuals could self regulate usage of addictive substances. Unless you are really just talking about pot but only legalizing pot doesnt really solve the problem. I would think making it legal would create more users that were on the fence when it was illegal.

I didnt really say only the government would benefit but people were making the argument that it could be taxed. And I just cant find a way to draw the line between honest living and producing drugs. Made in America plus the likely high taxation would likely mean we cant compete with the import (illegal version) anyway. I also cant wrap my head around the idea that making it legal would somehow shut down gangs. I dont see any government making all drugs legal so the market would still exist for the most dangerous.
    You made the quip "easy for people in law schools and suburbs" to talk about natural rights and I was addressing that.

Governmental regulation fails big time. Look around you. If you want drugs you can easily obtain it.

The fact that California weed is driving down weed prices should give you an idea that import isn't necessarily better competition for "legitimate" sources. The less regulation a place has on a certain transaction, the more likely all of the transactions will start occurring there. If USA can become the "off-shore" so to speak for drug production then USA would get an economic boost from drug production.

"Honest living" as much as making alcohol, cigarettes, and etc are "honest living" right now and providing jobs for people.

If everyone can just get their supplies from legitimate sources what would be the need for drug rings as middlemen to smuggle? Of course some of the institutions will stay in place but the majority of the smaller regimes would fall.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Legalise them, tax them, and do something to help solve national debt.
    I did drugs as a youngun, fun as hell. Haven't touched them since I sobered for the army. People grow and learn for themselves.
    Also in Britain, Oxford and Cambridge students, i.e. The future leaders/intelligentsia of our nation, take the most drugs amongst ALL universities in Britain. Inquisitive minds looking for new experiences. The only difference is being stupid enough to let it become a crux to life like alcoholism or tobacco addiction.
    I have no sympathy if one hurts or kills themselves whilst taking drugs.
    I do believe people should be discouraged, BUT not disallowed.

(Obligatory. 'Who the fuck are you to tell me what to do?!' Arguement also

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    I have no sympathy if one hurts or kills themselves whilst taking drugs.

(Obligatory. 'Who the fuck are you to tell me what to do?!' Arguement also

Not that I completely disagree with the idea of natural selection, but if drug use creates violent crime or causes people to crash their cars, then there will be innocent victims. I care a great deal if someone on drugs hurts someone I love.

Certainly an interesting topic to discuss but I dont see an argument to legalize that makes sense. Drug use is linked to violent crime, traffic fatalities, workplace and industrial accidents, birth defects, and apparently excessive Cheeto consumption. Making them more available would then logically increase the incidence of all of the above. Maybe we save money on drug enforcement and make some tax revenue but we likely pick up the cost of the above plus health services associated with those and overdose/death. Some argue that alcohol is as bad or worse, I would agree. But using that as an argument to legalize drugs doesnt make sense. We would have the alcohol related problems AND increased drug related problems. Some say it would run dealers out of business. Maybe some but certainly not all. They are still having major issues with not only import but large illegal grows in states where MJ is legal. Plus organized crime has a pretty fool proof and diverse business model.

In reality, I think it is a very complex issue that has no easy answer.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I don't see an upside to having them illegal; people still abuse them and the system of production and distribution creates crime and safety issues.
    Yup, while there's not much particularly positive about drugs, if you live in a society where the demand is huge, trying to stop the supply is pointless. BTW, people also wildly abuse prescription drugs...seems like everyone in the USA is on pills. It's demand driven -- the need to escape the high pressure environment, and to try to solve ones problems with science (a pill).

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    lol what? Medical science considers it non-addictive, and non-toxic. By its very mechanisms and actions it can't be. In fact, it helps cure addictions such as those from alcohol. You're listening to the "drugs are bad mmkay" mantra without researching the facts.

Good post, tp.
    hmmm... here in Holland I think it's classified as a addictive hard drugs... but then again so are beta-blockers that are used for heart patients... we clearly have a different idea on what drugs should be like...
    I guess it's the fact that every person that has been going to college as done the natural green smoke....very primal!!
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksson View Post
    Not that I completely disagree with the idea of natural selection, but if drug use creates violent crime or causes people to crash their cars, then there will be innocent victims. I care a great deal if someone on drugs hurts someone I love.

Certainly an interesting topic to discuss but I dont see an argument to legalize that makes sense. Drug use is linked to violent crime, traffic fatalities, workplace and industrial accidents, birth defects, and apparently excessive Cheeto consumption.
    I think one of the main reasons why they cause so many crimes and accidents, is because they are, in themselves, illegal! Perhaps if people weren't running from anyone or anything, or having to operate outside the law, everyone would quite literally chill out, and drug related crime may decrease? Very farfetched, but a nice idea..
    That said, i'd put forward the argument that those who do take drugs, even legally, refute their right for any serious help that doesn't cost them personally, either financially or otherwise if drugs were the cause. It's a way of saying 'do what you want, but know it's on you should shit happen'

Drug use is linked to violent crime, traffic fatalities, workplace and industrial accidents, birth defects, and apparently excessive Cheeto consumption. Making them more available would then logically increase the incidence of all of the above. Maybe we save money on drug enforcement and make some tax revenue but we likely pick up the cost of the above plus health services associated with those and overdose/death
    I'm not so sure that drug use would increase considerably if they were legal. It's very easy to find illegal drugs, perhaps more easy than getting alcohol in my state. I've done a lot of illegal drugs, and if they were legal tomorrow, I would not be at the CVS buying any of them. You could also have quality control and prevent people from buying tainted/bad drugs. Or shit like "bath salts".

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I'm not so sure that drug use would increase considerably if they were legal. It's very easy to find illegal drugs, perhaps more easy than getting alcohol in my state. I've done a lot of illegal drugs, and if they were legal tomorrow, I would not be at the CVS buying any of them. You could also have quality control and prevent people from buying tainted/bad drugs. Or shit like "bath salts".
    Same here, illegality of drugs never stopped me from doing them. And just like Magnolia, if they were legal tomorrow it wouldn't cause me to go out and buy some, I'm simply not interested in doing them.

I'm pretty sure that legalizing MJ would crash our local economy so it's likely that a lot of folks in my area have mixed feeling about it.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

I'm pretty sure that legalizing MJ would crash our local economy so it's likely that a lot of folks in my area have mixed feeling about it.
    Are you sure? NorCal already has so much, ahem, infrastructure, it seems like the transition would be easy enough.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast