Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Should drugs be legalized? page 10

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Let's just say pot was fully legalized. Do you think the govt would produce it or would they leave that to big pharma? Or could private companies great and small (budweiser, dogfish, etc) produce pot products and sell them like you buy beer/wine/liquor at a liquor store? Do you think the tobacco companies would run the show? Even though I'd prefer it to be done like craft beer, I'm wondering how it could be anything other than big pharma running the show. What with the medicinal value and whatnot. I mean, it can't be medical AND recreational, can it? How would that even work?
    I don't think big Pharma could be interested in MJ if it was legalized. They could not patent it except for maybe, certain stains. As to how would it work for medical and recreational, good question and I'm not sure how you could do both. I think it would have to be legalized for recreational use and then people that needed it for medicinal use could do so.

I don't see the government doing the growing but does bring up an interesting question about government subsidies. Tobacco farmers get government subsidies now, could MJ growers get them also?
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    I don't think big Pharma could be interested in MJ if it was legalized. They could not patent it except for maybe, certain stains. As to how would it work for medical and recreational, good question and I'm not sure how you could do both. I think it would have to be legalized for recreational use and then people that needed it for medicinal use could do so.

I don't see the government doing the growing but does bring up an interesting question about government subsidies. Tobacco farmers get government subsidies now, could MJ growers get them also?
    Yeah, I'd envision pot being legalized along the lines of tobacco, and the true drugs being legalized along the lines of regulated over-the-counter medicines. Still restricted and controlled for safety, still taxed because they can be, but accessible to everyone who wants them.
    The Champagne of Beards

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    There are two problems I see when the govt legislates what we do with our bodies. One is that by having an authoritative body tell us that this is what we can drink/smoke/etc., we remain a culture of adolescents, unable to make our own decisions based on experience and/or observation. The answer to why one avoids something should never be, "because it's the law," but should be, "because it's morally wrong." Excepting some religious beliefs, it's not morally wrong to hurt one's self.

The other is that the authoritative body, by making decisions based on politics rather than facts, loses all credibility. Instead of a culture based on respect for logical, protective, and just laws, you have a culture disrespectful of the law and all who try to practice or protect it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I'm just saying I'm not going to discount the ability of cartels to figure out how to make money. Those folks are savvy businesspeople above all else. I just have trouble imagining them "drying up", no matter the circumstances.
    Well, I think with alcohol, we put "cartels" out of business. You can get moonshine in NC that was made illegally; it's not lucrative enough to support with a network of violence. It's a hobby. People buy it as a novelty and the better organized among the moonshiners have gotten permits to sell/distill legally.

Probably the big deal cartels have multiple lines and will rely on trafficking guns and humans more or branch out into crimes like identity theft etc. For marijuana, there will probably be "craft" producers. There always has been and the people that sell dirt weed from Mexico will be out of business or in a new line.

Hard to imagine how cocaine and heroine would end up made and distributed. I would not think the big Pharamacy companies would want the liability and it's not something you can make in your yard like pot and shrooms.

The LSD/meth/MOLLY drugs etc. would probably end up being commercial labs, but again, who would want the liability of manufacturing those drugs that can cause death.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Well, I think with alcohol, we put "cartels" out of business. You can get moonshine in NC that was made illegally; it's not lucrative enough to support with a network of violence. It's a hobby. People buy it as a novelty and the better organized among the moonshiners have gotten permits to sell/distill legally.

Probably the big deal cartels have multiple lines and will rely on trafficking guns and humans more or branch out into crimes like identity theft etc. For marijuana, there will probably be "craft" producers. There always has been and the people that sell dirt weed from Mexico will be out of business or in a new line.

Hard to imagine how cocaine and heroine would end up made and distributed. I would not think the big Pharamacy companies would want the liability and it's not something you can make in your yard like pot and shrooms.

The LSD/meth/MOLLY drugs etc. would probably end up being commercial labs, but again, who would want the liability of manufacturing those drugs that can cause death.
    Current drugs are much more potent than before the War on Drugs started. I'd imagine that if they were legalized, companies would offer less potent versions and those would be the most popular. It's the same way with alcohol. During Prohibition, everyone was drinking high proof moonshine and had to invent mixed drinks just to make the stuff bearable. Now, most people get drunk on 4-5% alcohol beer.

Last edited by Jefferson1775; 12-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Pillow is offline Member
    I did not follow the whole thread but - YES!!!

So many people have their grubby hands in the gov money pot that it will be hard to remove local PD and LEOs from the gov teet. Lots of municipalities want that uncle Sam cash!

All levels of gov are dirty dirty dirty on this issue.

The negative ramifications from a few dopers that OD or need substance abuse help far outweigh the benefits of decriminalization across the board. Imagine the tax revenue on this stuff if distributed like alcohol! I think nasty cheap drugs like meth would disappear.

IMO in the next ten years MJ will be legal.
    Full on Primal family and loving it!!!
    This is going to be a big year for vitamins and minerals!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    My question to countries that have an illegal drug problem is -- why are your citizens so miserable they wanna do drugs all the time?

It's not a problem in some societies, because the demand isn't there.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    My question to countries that have an illegal drug problem is -- why are your citizens so miserable they wanna do drugs all the time?

It's not a problem in some societies, because the demand isn't there.
    I think here in America it's at least partly due to the fact that some of our poorest citizens are segregated in ghetto neighborhoods where drug abuse is a part of life. Also, Americans are just a stressed out and over-worked people, that probably adds to it.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I think here in America it's at least partly due to the fact that some of our poorest citizens are segregated in ghetto neighborhoods where drug abuse is a part of life. Also, Americans are just a stressed out and over-worked people, that probably adds to it.
    Agree. Honestly being in the USA more than 2 weeks makes we want to take drugs (serious). It's an environmental thing, like most things.

joe2.0 is offline Member
    No drugs should not be legal. The easy way to avoid jail and all that is to not buy or sell drugs. Our laws are too lax for those that sell drugs. With all the damage done by drugs and alcohol, we really don't need you in society if you are selling those illegally.

For those that doubt a black market would exist, google up on the market share the black market has on cigarettes in New York. Some estimates place it as high as 60%. If drugs were legal and taxed like cigarettes which they logically would be eventually, you have it even worse. The problem is the individual, not the laws.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast