Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about fermented food for dogs page

mvheartscw is offline Junior Member

Question about fermented food for dogs

I recently switched from grain free dry food for my dogs to making food for them. I realize raw food is probably better for them, for various reasons, I haven't taken that step yet. I made a batch of their food yesterday. I always let it cool before putting into fridge, but last night I forgot to put into fridge, so this morning it was a little bubbly on the top of the stock pots. When I put into containers and put into the fridge, a few hiurs later it was even more fermented. Is this safe to still give to the dogs? I have read that the dogs have 10x more stomach acid than we do, so they are able to eat evenspoiled food. I would think if they were in the wild they wouldn't have access to fresh food always, so they would eat spoiled food they came upon. I gave them some of the fermented food this mornng, and haven't noticed anything abnormal. Is it safe to feed them the rest of the food? It's quite a bit of food, and would hate to throw it out, but I will if it sn't safe for them. Thanks

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    My dog will eat almost anything. If they don't think it's good they will pass on it. If it doesn't agree with him it will come back out rather quickly from either end. He just ate what looked like a month old flattened piece of food on the trail the other day, he is still kicking.

I'm not a vet or doctor so don't rely on what I said.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    what is in the food? i have fed my dog raw since he was 8 weeks old when i got him so i cant for sure say. it depends what your dog is used to. mine would prob get upset digestion of some kind on fermented cooked food but he is fine on stinky raw bones or meat.

He just ate what looked like a month old flattened piece of food on the trail the other day, he is still kicking.
    mine picks up the week old squashed dead rabbits on the road and tries to eat them if i let him. they stink so bad. i am sure the bacteria break them down in some way so they are nicer for the dog. i'd still rather he ate them than rolled in them. that way the smell lasts a shorter amount of time!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    dogs eat garbage and poop. if you're worried about it boil the broth again.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Willow16 is offline Member
    Have you ever given your dog a raw bone with meat still attached? When I have done this, my dog has then buried the bone in the backyard and then she will dig it up weeks or months later and eat it then. I guess this helps break down the meat making it more palatable to them. Since they instinctually do this, I'm sure what you've given your dogs is fine.

Give raw a try. My dog has been eating raw chickens (bones, giblets and all) since she was two (she's almost 12 now) and has never had to have her teeth cleaned. Also, her waste is minimal compared to dogs who eat commercial dog food. Her health has been great although she does have Lyme disease but no other health problems.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Dogs are scavengers. They can eat pretty vile stuff and be okay. However, if your dog has never been conditioned to such things, I may or may not take the chance. However, I leave food for myself out overnight by accident and have never had a problem. What is in it that can "ferment" overnight?

On that note..will you guys share your recipes? My dog eats a very high quality grain free dry dog food, but I was thinking of switching her to homemade. Either raw or cooked.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

On that note..will you guys share your recipes? My dog eats a very high quality grain free dry dog food, but I was thinking of switching her to homemade. Either raw or cooked.
    i feed my hound ( there are pics of him on our kiwi thread ) totally raw and have done since i got him. dogs dont have bbqs in the wild so the only cooked food he ever gets is bits of my dinner if he has been good. ie the odd piece of cooked venison. i think officially it is called the prey diet. the aim is you frankenstein up a prey animal. so he gets a liver a week, prob about 5 or 6 sheep hearts a week, a couple of kidneys and the rest i feed him things like chicken frames, chicken drumsticks with the skin on, mutton flaps and offcut bones, all the venison offcuts from a deer i dont use ( silver skin, sinews, tendons, hoofs, spine bones and so on ). these are all raw. i get them from the butchers or butchery section of the supermarket and they are all people grade. other than the venison which we shoot. he also steals the cats rabbits and eats all the evidence which is very brave of him. and i will get him green tripe if i am passing the flash raw pet food shop. daily he will eat pushing 1.5kg total weight of food but he is big and very energetic. i have minded a dog who was fed dog roll its whole life. she kinda had to eat what my dog ate which she was very happy about. it took maybe 3 days for her gut to transition which is why i said earlier it depends what the dog is used to eating. poss worth mentioning too is pork. my dog wont touch raw pork even if he is hungry. he cavorts around drooling and carrying on at the smell of cooked pork but it makes him sick from both ends if he eats more than the tiniest bit. so maybe avoid pork even if it seems cheap raw.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, I have a very small Chihuahua, live in the city and dont hunt. So..I do have access to hearts, liver, chicken necks, backs. I think my neighborhood pet store carries locally made frozen raw food nuggets. So you feed no veggies at all?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    no no veges at all. i dont think dogs can digest veges properly. they will eat sheep or cow poo which is their version of veges. or green tripe they absolutely love. my dog will eat it before it has thawed and then sit there and shiver as he likes it so much. chicken necks and backs with some organs will be sweet. my neighbour got her black lab to 13 yrs of age with no dramas feeding that combo. a few chicken necks in the morning with something red ( ie part of an organ ) every other day and a chicken frame at night.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast