Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluten-free shampoo, facial cleanser, etc. - yes? no? page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Gluten-free shampoo, facial cleanser, etc. - yes? no?

Primal Fuel
    I'm wondering if it would be worth it to switch to gluten-free hair-care products, facial cleansers, toothpaste, mouthwash, and soap. Anyone here have any experience doing so? Did you notice any changes? Thanks in advance!
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Well, I've used natural alternatives for these things -- honey, coconut oil, green or chamomile tea, apple cider vinegar, etc. It seemed to be basically fine, but I didn't notice any other real changes.

Beachgirl is offline Member
    With the exception of toothpaste and mouthwash (I'd be more concerned about fluoride with these) you're not ingesting the product so gluten free should not matter.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    I'd just take 5 minutes to breathe and not worry so much before you end up...

Bubble.jpg
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    Unless you have severe reactions to gluten, I don't think it would really matter.
    Although, since your skin is a rather large organ and it absorbs most anything that is put on it, if you have a sensitivity, it might be worth a try.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Where are grain proteins getting into these products? I'm not even aware of any that have gluten in them at all. Ever.
    Well, unless you're using a wheat germ-derived product...
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Shampoos, conditioners, hairspray and other hair care products frequently contain wheat proteins to help strengthen hair. Some have switched to soy or corn proteins but many still use wheat based products. I react to products with wheat in them. I get a rash where the product touches my skin. Since switching to a wheat/gluten free shampoo and conditioner, the rashes have gone away.

These are my favorites: https://www.desertessence.com/fresh-from-nature

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    I'm wondering if it would be worth it to switch to gluten-free hair-care products, facial cleansers, toothpaste, mouthwash, and soap. Anyone here have any experience doing so? Did you notice any changes? Thanks in advance!
    It's not just gluten; there are all kinds of ingredients that may be questionable in these products for all sorts of reasons. A bit like "commercial" food really.

I think the best advice is to use as little in the way of "personal care" products and cosmetics as you're happy with. People got along for a very long time without, after all.

As for what you DO use -- yeah, I would pay a little more. I do use Weleda toothpaste and some non-allergenic shampoo. There is a special non-aggresive products database. I haven't got the URL, but that well-informed and very nice podcaster at Underground Wellness has mentioned it in the past. You could find where he mentions it with a bit of judicious googling -- something like "underground wellness cosmetics" will probably find it.

There's a paleo-cum-alternative health-cum-women's health blogger called Dr. Lo who likely has something, too. She's a little towards the chiropractic/vegetarian area rather than totally in the paleo camp. That stuff can be a bit zany and fringe, but there's probably something in some of it.

Best I can do. As a male I use a little soap, toothpaste, and the occasional dab of shampoo on my very short hair. So I don't keep up with all this stuff.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The best thing to avoid are little plastic particles. These are killing the ocean and lakes. They go by names such as microbeads or exfoliants and tend to be in body washes and cleansers, but I've also seen shampoo with polystyrene and polyethelyne as an ingredient. This is plastic. I don't need plastic to wash myself, thanks. I'd way rather scrub my face with wheat berries than plastic microparticles and it would probably do a better job anyway.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I appreciate all the suggestions and advice. Thanks, all!
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast