Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GI Index against primal blueprint page

Grainsaremyfriends is offline Junior Member

GI Index against primal blueprint

Primal Fuel
    The higher the GI number the higher the insulin response and vice versa. Its also true that you can lower the GI of a meal by adding fats and proteins or even things like lemon juice/vinegar, thus lowering the total insulin response. If you can lower the insulin response/oxidation from the meal then why should whole grains be excluded? Their insulin response can be dropped, and they contain good amounts of some nutrients along with the dietary fiber. A diet with a moderate amount of whole grains has no real adverse effects; only a diet with a high amount of grains can show the negative effects of antinutrients. So if its eaten in moderate amounts and paired up with fat and protein at meals to curve the insulin response; Then why are whole grains really that bad?

batty is offline Senior Member

eating a 'moderate' amount of grains because it's 'not as bad' as eating a crapload is like drinking diet coke because it's not 'as bad' as regular coke. regardless of the amount, its still crap for your body. there is no nutritional benefit to eating grains. none. zilch. nada.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

mjoshuahill is offline Member
    I am feeding the troll a bit... sorry guys and gals.

It is not just GI thats an issues it is also the glycogen load. Even Mark's fruit post recently made me think a little more on this when he talked about the high sugars in watermelon but left out that load was acutally low. I think both GI and GL are needed to make a proper judgement of blood sugar spikes. GI is how much a certain amount of carbs in a food will raise you blood sugar and GL is how much grams of carbs are in that particular food.

Now nature seems to have been pretty smart about this. Usually most fruits either have a high GI or a high GL but very seldomly do they have both. Watermelon has a high GI of 72 but a low GL of 4. That means that watermelon sugar has a strong effect on blood sugar but there is very little sugar per serving. Now look at apples, low GI of 39 but a slightly higher GL of 6. Then blueberries in the middle with a GI of 53 and a GL of 5. Overall fruit are pretty balanced and you would be hard pressed to find a high GI, high GL fruit. Now to compare.

Lets get the worst culprit out of the way, a bagel has a GI of 72 and a GL of 25 which must have a mind boggiling effect on blood sugar. Wholegrain pasta is at GI 37 and GL 8 which isn't so bad at first glance. Most whole grain breads are around GI 60 and GL 7.

So the whole grain stuff is not as bad as the white refined breads but still worst than the fruits (veggies are even better). But there are a couple other factors.

1. The grains don't provide nearly as much satiety thus you eat much more.

2. The grains usually are eaten in much larger servings thus you eat much more.

3. There is little nutrition even in whole grains compared to fruits and veggies.
    It is sad that the measuring stick of our progress is the speed by which we distance ourselves from the natural world. Even sadder is that we will only see this when there is no nature left to save.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post

eating a 'moderate' amount of grains because it's 'not as bad' as eating a crapload is like drinking diet coke because it's not 'as bad' as regular coke. regardless of the amount, its still crap for your body. there is no nutritional benefit to eating grains. none. zilch. nada.
    LOl love the pic. Of course the troll is hungry if she eats grains!

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    batty, don't know which was funnier - this troll or the owl you posted a few weeks ago. You're a riot!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Grains are a great way to help you die early. There are too many people on this planet and the concerned powers that be are doing their bast to make room for the future generations by forcing farmers to grow Monsanto's GMO corn and wheat, making it look delicious and healthy through advertising and fake research, and making it the cheapest and most available thing around. But it's just inflammatory dust that makes you think you've eaten for while. It has almost no nutrition at all, it activates auto-immune symptoms, and it promotes fat storage while preventing fat-burning to initiate and maintain insidious weight gain. It wouldn't matter if it had no insulin response, it's cardboard. You can't live on cardboard.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainsaremyfriends View Post
    The higher the GI number the higher the insulin response and vice versa. Its also true that you can lower the GI of a meal by adding fats and proteins or even things like lemon juice/vinegar, thus lowering the total insulin response. If you can lower the insulin response/oxidation from the meal then why should whole grains be excluded? Their insulin response can be dropped, and they contain good amounts of some nutrients along with the dietary fiber. A diet with a moderate amount of whole grains has no real adverse effects; only a diet with a high amount of grains can show the negative effects of antinutrients. So if its eaten in moderate amounts and paired up with fat and protein at meals to curve the insulin response; Then why are whole grains really that bad?
    I can get a lot more nutrients for the same caloric/carbohydrate content by eating vegetables instead of grains.

If someone puts a little flour in some sauce I eat it's not going to kill me, but bread, pasta(even those with "whole" grains), rice and the like are relatively empty calories in terms of non-carbohydrate nutritional content when compared with most vegetable foods.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Hello can i get an order of STFU please?

( really could not resist )
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

huckie is offline Member
    Actually thanks for responding to this post as I have been wondering about the GI of certain fruits as I have been advised to avoid them, that was really informative

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    Almost. Given how much grains can mess up your body, Davis's analogy to telling everyone to smoke lots of low tar cigarettes is more apt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast