Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Happened to Paleobird

Hybrid View

What Happened to Paleobird

I haven't been on here in a while and noticed that I don't see many posts from Paleobird lately. Has she gone somewhere else?

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Thanks.

Huh, missed that one, and don't even know what she was talking about. In my time on the forum- admittedly considerably less than many- I've never seen Mark here. I never got the impression he moderates it, or participates. Not sure why she expected him to, or why she got in a huff and left over it. It's a shame, because she was a good resource for all kinds of information.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Huh, missed that one, and don't even know what she was talking about. In my time on the forum- admittedly considerably less than many- I've never seen Mark here. I never got the impression he moderates it, or participates. Not sure why she expected him to, or why she got in a huff and left over it. It's a shame, because she was a good resource for all kinds of information.
    People send him emails about forum activity (or they claim to) from time to time. I think he peruses occasionally, but probably the Worker Bees (referenced in the site's blog, basically his web admins) patrol much more. They're the ones that deal with spam & reported posts etc. I think Mark probably spent more time on the forums in '09 or around when it was pretty new, but since his business is pretty booming now, he probably doesn't have time for us schmucks.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Good for her.

Indeed, it has "gone to crap" around here.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Good for her.

Indeed, it has "gone to crap" around here.
    "Gone to crap" exactly how? Primal is not the same as it was 3 years ago. It has evolved. Mark has changed his stance considerably on many things he once preached. The simple fact is that ideas change and grow. The original iteration of paleo was extremely flawed. So was Primal. And you know what? It'll always be flawed, because it is a series of imperfect ideas drummed up by imperfect human beings. Primal is far from the perfect way to eat, but it is a great starting point for the individual to modify, as long as they are HONEST with themselves and open-minded. "Gone to crap" is another way of saying that better information has come along, discounting some core principles of Primal. For example, prepared beans are probably generally healthier than prepared nuts, refined fats, even butter and coconut oil, are very fattening and you can't eat whatever you want in whatever quantity as long as insulin remains low to avoid weight gain. These were core principles of the original iteration of Primal that drew people into this lifestyle. People have proven those principles wrong, and it tampers with people's idealistic beliefs and it upsets them.

If you come here for accurate information, this forum has become a better place over the years. If you come here looking for a safehaven for dogma, this place has "gone to crap," I suppose. Like anything, you have to dig through the dirt to find the gold, but there's a lot of gold to be found if you look hard enough and you're honest with yourself.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

If you come here for accurate information, this forum has become a better place over the years. If you come here looking for a safehaven for dogma, this place has "gone to crap," I suppose. Like anything, you have to dig through the dirt to find the gold, but there's a lot of gold to be found if you look hard enough and you're honest with yourself.
    I think this is very well said. i know the carb controversy is what really got peoples' panties in a wad. people who are eating low carb and vlc and having great success with it are really having a tough time understanding that there are other people out there (for whatever reason) that don't succeed with it. the whole "EAT MOAR FAT" movement is dead, and thank goodness for that. mark's carb curve is a joke. i'm just waiting for his blog post when he actually acknowledges that. sooner or later it will happen. don't get me wrong, we shouldn't be chugging sugar and mainlining corn syrup, but fruit is fine. eat it. besides, if you are such a stickler for the primal rules, mark advocates 80/20. so eat your 4 cheat meals a week and stfu.

as for the off topic threads, i think this place has gotten a little out of hand at times. what i don't understand is that if you aren't interested in a topic, don't post on it. leave it alone. too many busy bodies with too much spare time to waste on the internets. turn the computer off, stand up, and do something productive.

it's unfortunate that paleobird left because she'd been here for a while, had great success with her adaptation of the diet, and had a lot to contribute. but at the end of the day, the "you guys are mean so i'm taking my ball and going home" act makes you look like a spoiled little child. and that's just sad
    Last edited by not on the rug; 12-09-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    "Gone to crap" exactly how? Primal is not the same as it was 3 years ago. It has evolved. Mark has changed his stance considerably on many things he once preached. The simple fact is that ideas change and grow. The original iteration of paleo was extremely flawed. So was Primal. And you know what? It'll always be flawed, because it is a series of imperfect ideas drummed up by imperfect human beings. Primal is far from the perfect way to eat, but it is a great starting point for the individual to modify, as long as they are HONEST with themselves and open-minded. "Gone to crap" is another way of saying that better information has come along, discounting some core principles of Primal. For example, prepared beans are probably generally healthier than prepared nuts, refined fats, even butter and coconut oil, are very fattening and you can't eat whatever you want in whatever quantity as long as insulin remains low to avoid weight gain. These were core principles of the original iteration of Primal that drew people into this lifestyle. People have proven those principles wrong, and it tampers with people's idealistic beliefs and it upsets them.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    She got tired of people telling newbies, including obese diabetics, to eat gummie bears and table sugar and I think Grizz' return was the final straw. Many people cannot tolerate his woo-woo stuff and his obsession with iodine.
    I may have missed all this drama, but this 'gummie bears' and 'eating pure sugar' seems to be pure strawmen to demonise some of the dissenting opinions here. I've never seen anybody advocated eating pure sugar on this forum.

Also for the couple of commentors talking proudly about ignoring people; well done on contributing to a culture of ignorance. Even if you disagree with somebody, their opinions are worth hearing unless they are deliberately malignant. I've disagreed with many people here but I've never met one that is worth totally silencing their opinion. Frankly it reeks of "LALALAL I CAN'T HEAR YOU!".
    Last edited by AMonkey; 12-09-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    I may have missed all this drama, but this 'gummie bears' and 'eating pure sugar' seems to be pure strawmen to demonise some of the dissenting opinions here. I've never seen anybody advocated eating pure sugar on this forum.
    no more of a strawman than this:

where the fat comes from bacon, spoonfuls of coconut oil and coffee emulsified with half a stick of butter every morning.

yet ct drags it out on a regular basis, conveniently ignoring what doesn't suit his pretend version of high-fat/lc plan that some members here follow and thrive upon.

when i first joined there was a very underweight woman, supposedly following peat, telling everybody to drink coca-cola to cure what ailed them -- from weight gain, to cravings, to thyroid issues. i knew she was a whack job, but apparently not everybody did.

Also for the couple of commentors talking proudly about ignoring people; well done on contributing to a culture of ignorance. Even if you disagree with somebody, their opinions are worth hearing unless they are deliberately malignant. I've disagreed with many people here but I've never met one that is worth totally silencing their opinion. Frankly it reeks of "LALALAL I CAN'T HEAR YOU!".
    choosing to ignore a poster who irritates you isn't contributing to a culture of ignorance. it's no different than changing the tv channel if you don't like the show airing. they're also not being "silenced". anybody else who wants to read them is perfectly free to do so.

my version of the ignore button happened right around when pb blew up, i guess, and i had to take a break from here. the board felt hostile and full of crackpots spouting crazy shit. if you posted in disagreement, you were insulted. it's one thing to have threads exploring hacks and quacks, but muscling in everywhere and being downright hostile to other's n~1 IS ignorant. r/l can suck enough. i don't need to spend an extra minute with assholes on the internetz.

eta: in fact, now i remember! just the other day, somebody here called me stupid. why adults have to act like 6 year-olds on-line is beyond me.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 12-09-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway