Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Happened to Paleobird page 3

janie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Leave it be. She did not advocate her diet for everyone. She advocated the Primal Blueprint.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Indeed, it has "gone to crap" around here.
    What are you talking about?

This forum has not "gone to crap." When I first started posting in early 2010, you would be mauled for even thinking about fruit or potatoes. The forum has become a lot more open to the idea of bio-individuality, and is better off for it. The fact that high-carb and low-carb dieters can coexist here is pretty awesome, IMO.

Paleobird was a great poster. I'm pretty sure her leaving had less to do with people eating carbs and more to do with a few threads that devolved into personal attacks and insults from both parties.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    She was always pretty straight forward about her diet helping her with some health problems. She was never an asshole about eating fruit or sugar like some people. She just made it clear it never worked for her.

I think this board can get confusing because people are over-reactionary as to how bad certain whole foods are. People are so damn dramatic about fruit and fruit binges. I imagine that more than a few posters here have eating disorders. A lot of people have habits that are either disordered or merely eccentric, and posting them as a part of a "whole foods" diet is confusing. I think people make up and drag up a bunch of garbage in their quest to right and it ends up confusing people.

I think for me, there is a place for eating very low carb and eating carbs. Both currently play a role in my life. I can tell you VLC helps me lose weight, keeps my energy more stable and helps clear up my skin. It also makes me sleep less, deflates my boobs, makes me edgier and I get bored quickly. Eating more carbs makes me happier, sleep better, puffs up my boobs and makes me less prone to go eat crap. But it's very hard to lose weight and I get fatigued. The best and most valuable part of PB for me has been the elimination of crap foods- processed crap foods.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    She got tired of people telling newbies, including obese diabetics, to eat gummie bears and table sugar and I think Grizz' return was the final straw. Many people cannot tolerate his woo-woo stuff and his obsession with iodine.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    "She got tired of people telling newbies, including obese diabetics, to eat gummie bears and table sugar...."

Yea that's probably a good synopsis. Potatoes for someone who self-identified as having Metabolic Syndrome.
    Last edited by Terry H; 12-09-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: punct.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Several people in this thread have stated lots of people are advocating high sugar diets. How is a diet high in sugar not Primal? It is the source that determines whether or not something Primal, not the macronutrient ratio.
    I disagree in part.

Sisson is clear in both his blogs and his texts that it is about both sourcing and macronutrient ratios (for the diet part).

In terms of macronutrients, PB is asserted as a high-fat, low carb diet. The highest carbohydrate amount given in the PB methods is 150g which is 600 calories from carbohydrates. For active men getting 2500-3000 calories a day, that's only 20-24%. For active women eating 2000-2500 24-30%. As protein will be constant to the individual (more or less), and the rest, therefore, is supposed to be from good fats.

Now, the broader paleo movement has a wide variety of macronutrient profiles -- including high-carb. No big deal there. I'm of the mindset that you need to do what works for you, but also that the PB does work.

So, when a person is starting out and asks questions about PB, I think we need to focus on PB -- not on whatever is the new-guy-du-jour that experienced PBers are excited about. In a few months of PB experience, a person can then start jumping into tinkering threads, etc.

To me, the thing that is nice about PB is it's simplicity. By emphasizing this and helping newbies with it, we are gently bringing them into the fold, rather than flooding them with a lot of conflicting information from other, non-PB (but still paleo and still valid/valuable) sources.

Then, once they have a foothold in PB, and if they are struggling or want to tinker, then there is a lot of opportunity to discuss these things in community. And a newbie can, in fact, jump into those posts too. But answering a newbie's post with "du jour" source that conflicts PB is just unwelcoming and confusing, imo.

In my wholehearted opinion, a diet that is 60% carbohydrate from potatoes and fresh fruit is healthier and more natural than a diet of 60% fat where the fat comes from bacon, spoonfuls of coconut oil and coffee emulsified with half a stick of butter every morning. That's not to say that butter, bacon and coconut oil are unhealthy or can't be enjoyed at times, but to make them dietary staples that make up huge portions of your calories IMO is a huge mistake. You should be filling those calories with foods rich in micronutrients, which those foods are not rich in.
    I completely agree with you here. I also agree with advocating this to the newbies -- that is, advocating getting a healthy, balanced diet, not going whole-hog this way or that.

A lot of newbies pit-fall in terms of adding a lot of additional fat (or excess bacon, etc), as well as the ever-dubious problem of the almond-flour paleo treats. I mean, I love Paleo Parents as themselves nad their message. And I like getting their blog in my feed and stuff. But every single recipe seems to me to be a cookie or other treat recipe. I guess it's for the kids or something, and I'm like "if I ate like this every day, just one of these recipes a day, . . . no way would I be healthy." But, I think that as an occasional thing -- ie, we're having a gluten free pizza dough at our family's annual christmas eve pizza making (a tradition that we have had for 28 years), and DS and I are about to start working on our christmas cookies. I feel like there is room for these things, but they aren't the foundation of the diet, and some newbies fall into that pitfall.

A lot of people having problems around here have problems with embracing carbohydrate. Very few of us are encouraging the consumption of refined sugar or flour in significant quantity. People have some success doing things a certain way, and before they know it they can't get out of their own way to find even further success.
    I think that this is largely a matter of perception. I think that there are many people here who are quite happy with their carb intake (whether or not it fits in with the carb curve numbers), and that newbies are concerned about it because they want to succeed in terms of the information provided in PB -- do they have too much? What do they do so that they don't have whatever symptom they may be having, etc?

And, I would also say that it seems really clear to me that there are people who are too fixated either direction -- and that we can provide information in a balanced approach, that allows the individual to make a decision about it without asserting that they *must* be one given way to be healthy or 'right' or 'good.'

At the end of the day, the individual will make a choice, and we can support that choice in an open way -- even if we disagree.

And I think Paleobird's contention is that she felt there weren't enough people speaking up for PB basics, and too many people speaking out about all sorts of variations of paleo that weren't PB because of whatever perspective they held (based on experience, etc).

And it might be noted that Paleobird didn't promote any diet beyond PB, except for in her own threads where she sought people like her -- which might be the same as saying, say, I started a Yoga/IFing post or something. I wasn't saying *everyone must do this!* but rather I'm inviting people like me or who want to do something like me to join into a conversation.

But outside of that, I mostly focus on PB for others.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Grizz' return was the final straw. Many people cannot tolerate his woo-woo stuff and his obsession with iodine.
    LOL, that guy makes a pretty good case for not overdoing the iodine. Holy tinfoil hat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    In retrospect Paleobird has been proven right. After she gave up and moved on, Mark wrote an articles saying "let's all just get along". The lead troll of the non-Primal group felt he had been vindicated, and announced that he had driven me, Paleobird, and a number of other members away and would continue to drive away everyone who did not actively support his agenda until there were none left. Next time I looked he had been banned. Since then things have calmed down greatly on the forums. Posts are down by about 2/5ths. 2/5ths of posts at that time were from 3 individuals out to control discussion on the forum.

Discussion is much more rational now. Except for Grizz.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    What are you talking about?
    Says the guy who's always talkin' bout exactly what I'm talkin' bout.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    "She got tired of people telling newbies, including obese diabetics, to eat gummie bears and table sugar...."
    That's what I'm talkin' bout.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast