Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplement Question page

Bear is offline Senior Member

Supplement Question

Shop Now
    What multivitamin do you take? I'm looking for one that's natural and not many multiples of the RDA (100% would be ideal...no 400%, etc. stuff).

Do you also take:

Vitamin D3
    Probiotic
    Omega 3?

What are your reasons...either for or against any of these? Thanks.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i take d3, magnesium and k2. when i enter my foods on cronometer, i am well-rounded in my micros, but i eat lots of fatty fish, shellfish, liver, meat, seaweed, etc.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i take d3, magnesium and k2. when i enter my foods on cronometer, i am well-rounded in my micros, but i eat lots of fatty fish, shellfish, liver, meat, seaweed, etc.
    The more I read, the less I think supplements are necessary, particularly in a healthy person. D3 I can see, and I do take it.

How do you eat your seaweed, and where do you get it?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i buy packages of different kinds, dried, at asian markets. most often i sprinkle some in bone broth and simmer til soft. i use kombu when i make bone broth, of which i make HUGE batches a few times per year, otherwise i'd never get to it.

i think the supplement industry is mostly a huge racket, lol. very little oversight and no way as a consumer to know the purity of what's in the bottle.

if you're really wondering where your diet falls, plug a few menus into cronometer and see what's lacking. then add the foods that will help.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i buy packages of different kinds, dried, at asian markets. most often i sprinkle some in bone broth and simmer til soft. i use kombu when i make bone broth, of which i make HUGE batches a few times per year, otherwise i'd never get to it.

i think the supplement industry is mostly a huge racket, lol. very little oversight and no way as a consumer to know the purity of what's in the bottle.

if you're really wondering where your diet falls, plug a few menus into cronometer and see what's lacking. then add the foods that will help.
    Thanks for the cron-o-meter idea...first I'd heard of it. Our diet is quite good - almost all organic...lots of fruits and veggies, fish and chicken....salads, etc. One of the best things we did, several years ago, is to install a PUR water filter on the faucet from which we draw water to drink - filters out all the crap in our water. Cook with that water, too.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    I take dessicated liver tablets (they are big) from grass fed animals. Check out Uni-liver on amazon. These are my multivitamins.

I also take d3, 1.2k mg EPA/DHA (fish oil), magnesium, k2, vitamin c with bioflavinoids, kelp tablets, and curcumin.

I like to cover all the bases

--Me

EDIT: I also supplement a cup of bone broth (home made, of course) a day. That is the real bee's knees!

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    D3, because it makes seasonal affective disorder go away.
    Glucosamine and chondroitin on the off chance they might do something useful for joints, though I can't really tell.

dogfuel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    The more I read, the less I think supplements are necessary, particularly in a healthy person.
    Yes! The more I see and experiment, the more I agree... Depending on diet and lifestyle, there may be some specific vitamins and trace minerals where supplements MIGHT help, but, for the most part, supplements are questionable with too-low bioavailability or all-out multi-level scams. If you don't have specific health problems, eat a good dinner, try some veggies you think you don't like, live long (and well), then drop dead!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I agree that most supplements are a waste if you're eating well, but I do think most people have an Achilles heel somewhere. Mine is magnesium. I need at least 400mg every day or I get migraines. That's hard to get from food, so I supplement.

If I took antibiotics, I'm going to supplement with probiotics, though I guess I could get those from food, but it's a pain in the ass for me and I just don't feel like it so I pop a capsule.

Closer to when I had my concussions, I needed 5-HTP or I was just a shrew, and now I'm wondering if I damaged my pituitary as well. Once I get insurance again, then I'll have some tests run, but I'd be willing I might have to supplement for that too.

I don't see a multivitamin doing a lot of damage, but I just feel more comfortable with targeted supplementation in areas I know I'm lacking.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

PrimalCon New York
    Good replies...thanks. With my diet, it's hard to see where I might have a deficit, and adding stuff to my body that I don't need seems like a poor idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast