Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will intermittent fasting help my binge problem? page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I found that for me IF as in missing breakfast just doesn't work. I am an early riser, so to even go from 4 am to 8-10 am without food, while in the office from 6 am is simply asking to be fired eventually for a lack of focus. So, what I have been doing lately is eating normal breakfast, large lunch, a snack at the crappy 2 pm time, + a very tasty but a relatively small supper (nuts, fruit and yogurt) of about 300 - cals. Some days it work, some days it doesn't. My calories are somewhere between 1600 and 1900, and still too high to lose weight (I am slowly gaining, unfortunately), but I never really binge any more (as in can't stop eating) and I don't experience crazy hunger episodes. Ideally, I guess, I need to cut back about 250 cals a day to get to the 1400-1700 something range or avg of 1500 a day...
    Last edited by Leida; 12-09-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    As some have mentioned, rule out binges being a result of psychological reasons first. I am a binge eater myself, it accumulated over time because i restricted myself from a lot of foods, and watching others eat them all the time built up. I decided to treat myself and have seen my will power drop dramatically and my discipline likewise.

I tend to have a binge if something hasnt gone my way, or i am annoyed/frustrated. It aint good,you gotta keep thinking positively and realise food for what it is, not an escape but nutrition and enjoyment to carry on proceeding about your day. Fix all other issues you may be dealing with and hopefully the binges will cease. And dont forget to treat yourself now and then, lifes too short

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I feel like for IF to work, when you do eat, you need to EAT. And then it feels like a binge. I eat 2 meals a day now, mostly at dinner and it feels huge. I also do a carb night once a week, and yes, it feels like a ridiculously uncomfortable binge to get in my body what needs to go into it.

I DO NOT eat like this for my health. This is for fat loss.

IMO, the best way to eat if you feel you have some form of disorder is to try a Whole 30 approach of eating from a "non reactionary" list of foods (they eliminate processed foods, fake sugar, fruit is OK, no grains, no dairy) whenever you want them in whatever quantity you need. And you just eat when you need to eat, how much you need to eat.

The most telling thing I ever saw in myself was when I started eating Primal and devoured a whole chicken. I figured out I was so starved for protein and fat, that I needed a whole damn chicken. I felt great. Now when I crave a whole food, I let myself eat it. It's not like binging on candy was for me. I used to eat whole bags of snickers.... there was a weird urgency to it, and it never really waned.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I feel like for IF to work, when you do eat, you need to EAT. And then it feels like a binge. I eat 2 meals a day now, mostly at dinner and it feels huge. I also do a carb night once a week, and yes, it feels like a ridiculously uncomfortable binge to get in my body what needs to go into it.
    quite a few days last week, i only got around to eating once. my b/f assumed i was eating 3 meals just like him, so commented on how much i'd eaten at dinner, lol. he was shocked to realize how infrequently i'd been eating, and now laughs that i eat like a snake. and yeah, whether it's once or twice a day, it feels like A LOT of food and there is zero thought of needing anything in-between.

The most telling thing I ever saw in myself was when I started eating Primal and devoured a whole chicken. I figured out I was so starved for protein and fat, that I needed a whole damn chicken. I felt great. Now when I crave a whole food, I let myself eat it. It's not like binging on candy was for me. I used to eat whole bags of snickers.... there was a weird urgency to it, and it never really waned.
    this is a step few women will take and a tough admission to accept. years of starving themselves on low-fat and grains, they have no idea how truly malnourished they are -- even if overweight. now if i want a pile of meat, i figure i must need it. too many women have a tortured and misguided relationship with food.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12