Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously bummed... (for the ladies) page

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member

Seriously bummed... (for the ladies)

Shop Now
    So...I've been slowly going primal over the last few months, and then switched to pretty much 100% primal within the last month. The last few periods have been okay; not as bad as they have been in the past, but not symptom-free or anything. This time around I had been having a really good cycle so far, with very little in the way of PMS symptoms. I was so excited! Then I started on this new protein powder a couple of days ago and on the first day of my period I got REALLY bloated, and had the worst cramps I've had in a long time, along with bad nausea for about an hour. I had to take a half-day from work because I was in so much pain! I'm really annoyed.

I do have a strong sensitivity to dairy, but didn't seem to be reacting to the first whey protein I tried. Maybe I was having a cumulative reaction to that protein powder too, and it just showed up now? Not sure. I guess I'm off whey protein for a while...boo.

Does this make sense to anyone? Or is there another side effect of going primal that might have caused this?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Wish I could help, but I'm on the shot. I'm sure some of the girls here can relate. This topic has come up a couple times.

Sorry to hear you're having such trouble. Doesn't sound like any fun at all.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any suggestions or advice for you, but I do sympathize. That does suck! It's funny how foods affect our periods so differently. I used to date a guy who argued up and down with me that all my PMS symptoms were "in my head" and that he'd read about aboriginal tribes that didn't have any PMS. (Not a very smart choice of male partners there for a while). I think it is true that there are probably many tribes women who don't experience the same things we do...but it's because of diet, not because it's all in our heads, or it's a convenient excuse (which is something I've heard other guys say). Between old herbal remedies (read: modern supplements) and their diets, they probably don't experience hardly any mood swings, bloatedness, tenderness, or cramps.

In watching a video about vitamin D deficiency over at grassroots.com, I was surprised to learn that nutrition was such a new science, and still so very very misunderstood. It's a real shame that the connection between women's cycles and nutrition hasn't been better studied.

If you're going off of whey, is there another type of protein powder that you'll be trying? I've seen egg whites and brown rice and I've been trying to figure out why everyone goes for the whey. What's the differences between them. I need to pick some up myself.

Thanks for the empathy, ladies. I'm really surprised that I had such a strong negative reaction...but then again, maybe not. Maybe I was just hoping that I could tolerate the whey. Fyrespryte, I'm thinking about trying the egg white powder because plant-based proteins have historically not satiated me the same as animal protein, but I have not been tolerating eggs well lately, either. Sheesh! The whey powder was nice to break up all the meat I was eating to get my protein ratios. Maybe I'll stay off it for a couple of weeks and then try the old brand again.

BTW, the 1st brand I tried was Jay Robb, and the 2nd brand was Tera's Whey.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    Totally Off Topic: Have the eggs that you haven't been tolerating been store bought, or farm fresh? I have a problem with eggs too, (a BIG one) but I recently think that I found a way around it. I'm still just in the beginning phases of trying it, and it's seemed to work so far but no guarantees about the future...I started buying farm fresh eggs that were laid more recently than store bought ones and I seem to do a lot better with them. Once they start to get a little older and I notice a difference in digestion of them, I tossed the whites and just ate the yolks as the research that I did seemed to point to a bigger problem with the whites for people with egg intolerance's. I hope if you have to switch that it'll be ok for you!

Since you switched brands maybe it was some other ingredient in it other than the whey that gave you such issues? Perhaps something in their process, or where they get their whey from...maybe try going back to the first one?

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I think it would be interesting to go back to your old brand and see how you feel. Then if you are ok compare the ingredients list to see if there was something specific.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrespryte View Post
    I used to date a guy who argued up and down with me that all my PMS symptoms were "in my head" and that he'd read about aboriginal tribes that didn't have any PMS. (Not a very smart choice of male partners there for a while). I think it is true that there are probably many tribes women who don't experience the same things we do...but it's because of diet, not because it's all in our heads, or it's a convenient excuse (which is something I've heard other guys say).
    And you know if men had a period they would be lying on the sofa for a week straight in agony and wanting as much sympathy as they can get. LOL.

OP, maybe you are just reacting to that particular brand of whey. Is it a different brand then the first you tried? (yes it was...I never read far enough before I posted)

batty is offline Senior Member
    did your sodium intake change at all? i know if i'm eating things higher in sodium around the RagTime, i bloat up like whoa and it sucks all kind of butt.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Fyrespryte, I have recently tried farm fresh eggs as well as duck and goose eggs - I seem to have the same reaction to all of them. And here's a weird one: now I'm noticing that after I eat eggs my hands smell awful for a few hours afterward! It's not a matter of washing, I wash and wash them and the smell pervades. I have to keep scented moisturizer on them. Gross, right???

So y'all are right, I think I'm back to the Jay Robb whey and I'll see how my body does on that. It's so weird because by rights, Tera's Whey should be the cleaner of the two products ingredient-wise, but maybe her whey is less denatured or something. Anyone want a half-used box of blueberry-flavored organic whey? :/

Batty - I don't think my sodium intake changed at all, but I can go back through my pb journal and check.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, frankly going Primal has done nothing for PMS symptoms that I can see. Well maybe in the lead-up, but not in terms of the short term but bad cramps I get, that got worse when I hit 40 or so. At any rate, it could be that the whey or anything else you're eating is just coincidence, you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast