Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Partum Belly page 2

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I hear t-tapp is amazing for post partum belly - targets the transverse abs in just the right way, I guess.

Other than that, patience - it took 9 months to get all your organs out of place. Don't believe anyone who says you should be "back to normal" in 3 months - if you are, it's probably due to good genes. I'm not even sure how long I had that "intestines out of place" feeling, but it was more than 2 months ;-)

Massage the belly with lotion/oil (coconut, mango butter, cocoa butter, bio-oil, etc) - just gently rub in a circular motion with light pressure (have knifegill do this if you want - good way to connect) - it's good for circulation, skin recovery (bio oil is great for stretch marks, BTW), and helping your innards ease back into the right places.

The belly bands work too, but I found them to be so awkward/uncomfortable (I have a long torso and most bands aren't tall enough, that didn't help), and therefore didn't wear them as long as you're supposed to.

Other than that, enjoy your wee one :-D

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one with the intestines-out thing! I hadn't read anything about it, and was wondering if my subconscious was making it up, or my body was really messed up or something. I have no problem with it taking a while to fix itself; it's just nice to know it's normal! I've already been putting coconut oil on my belly whenever I get some for my lips or hair and have extra, so I'll just make a point to always have extra .

I'll have to look into T-tapp. Exercises are nice to do for those few minutes when Kevin is wiggling happily on the floor or bassinet, especially since I can do them where he can see me.

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Best of luck and congratz on the little guy
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Got to agree with the time comments. My wife has delivered 3 healthy babies, but the post partem belly usually takes 6 - 12 months to *mostly* go away, and sometimes even longer than that to completely disappear.

--Me

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    I would recommend several things, and you can choose.

First, there's a nice book that really goes over how to isolate into the space that you need to heal up any issues. And, there's this other 12-wk program that a lot of people like. I have the first book, and it was great (basic, but works well).

Next, I'd be happy to talk to you about some everyday postural things that can really help during this time, and my two favorite exercises that really helped me when I was recovering. We can do this via skype at your leisure. It'll only take about 20 minutes, tops. Sakura_girl did a little private yoga lesson with me a few days ago, so I don't bite.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    I hear t-tapp is amazing for post partum belly - targets the transverse abs in just the right way, I guess.
    Tupler has a book just for postpartum bellies. I forgot to put it into my original post over there.

Also, it does take a while. I think it was 14 months before I was back to normal, but belly and legs might have been normal before the arms, breasts, and so on.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I would recommend several things, and you can choose.

First, there's a nice book that really goes over how to isolate into the space that you need to heal up any issues. And, there's this other 12-wk program that a lot of people like. I have the first book, and it was great (basic, but works well).

Next, I'd be happy to talk to you about some everyday postural things that can really help during this time, and my two favorite exercises that really helped me when I was recovering. We can do this via skype at your leisure. It'll only take about 20 minutes, tops. Sakura_girl did a little private yoga lesson with me a few days ago, so I don't bite.
    We don't have skype, or a camera, or I would totally take you up on the offer! (Yes, Knifegill and I are still living in the Stone Age, but, hey, at least it goes along with being Primal! )
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Tupler has a book just for postpartum bellies. I forgot to put it into my original post over there.

Also, it does take a while. I think it was 14 months before I was back to normal, but belly and legs might have been normal before the arms, breasts, and so on.
    My arms, face, and legs went back to normal pretty much right after I gave birth--I was amazed at the amount of water retention I had. I filled the "hat" at the hospital three times in the span of 3 hours (once I overflowed the thing), so I'd retained at least 10 pound of just water weight. It rather startled my nurses. I guess all that coconut water really did help with water retention! The only things not to go back to normal are my hips (slightly larger), tummy, and boobs (oh. my. goodness there isn't anything in my size now! Knifegill doesn't seem disturbed by this fact, however...).

Yes, the boobs thing is totally normal. They will be big pretty much as long as you breastfeed. And they'll probably be a size larger than your pre=preggo breasts thereafter (i went from a C to a D -- but I was something like DD+ while nursing).

Hips will go back, too, over time. Takes a bit for the muscles and bones to re-do their business. And tummy will take about as long (hips usually go faster). They'll probably be 1/4 inch wider than pre-pregnancy once they are closer to normal. That's fairly common.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12