Thread: Irish Moss and Carrageenan page

Mutton is online now Senior Member

Irish Moss and Carrageenan

Shop Now
    Should I really be bothered that my shop bought cream or almond milk has carrageenan in it? I've read it destroys your stomach lining.. Yet its made from Irish Moss, whichhas been eaten for ever, and reportedly confers all manner health benefits (including working as an aphrodisiac)?

leighlu is offline Member
    I have been wondering about this as well. The cream I really like has it too.

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    It's made from Irish Moss, a healthy food. It's always the processing and refining that ruins otherwise decent things, thus the characteristics of Irish Moss might not match the ones of carrageenan... at all.

I personally avoid it even though I love almond and flax milk and the vast majority of them have carrageenan :/ I'm going to wait until I can make my own

But that's just me. I'd be very interested to hear what Mark has to say on the matter.

nettasaura is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to know about this too. I've been routinely passing up anything that has carrageenan in it. I'd like to know exactly what it does to the body.

ELA
    ELA is offline Junior Member
    Interested too! Carrageenan is also found in Primal Fuel (listed as seaweed or kelp extract).

This ingredient is on the "no go" list for a lot of the clean eating experts out there. Interested in Mark's take on this, as the bad press is relatively new. Carrageenan has been labeled as carcinogenic by some.

"SO delicious" brand has publicly committed to removing carrageenan from its coconut creamers and nut milks by end of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by nettasaura View Post
    I'd like to know about this too. I've been routinely passing up anything that has carrageenan in it. I'd like to know exactly what it does to the body.
    I'm with you - I've seen it likened to MSG by several sources. Have steered clear of it for years.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson