Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Killing Your Own Meat? page

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member

Killing Your Own Meat?

I've had to kill a few things - mostly mice, and once a bird. And what I thought was a snake (turned out to be a legless lizard. I felt terrible about that!) and I wonder if I could kill a chicken. I don't know. What troubled me most about killing the bird was the terrible state it was in, I felt so sorry for the poor thing. It was a pointless death. But could I kill a chicken that I had raised and would have no reason to die other than to go in my oven?

Have you killed your own food? How did you feel about it?

The other thing is the cleaning and skinning. I think I'd struggle with that.

Hello Helen, I am a freedive spearfisherman. I hunt underwater, there is nothing more primal than hunting and killing your own food. I show great respect to the animals and try to be as humane as possible. Find the quickest ways to kill the chickens and go to it. Good luck
    Hector

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member
    I actually would love hunt for my food, but being in college and all i do not have the time, nor do i live in the proper area to do so. Though last summer when I was camping I did manage to get myself a rabbit, and to be honest it was quite tasty.

And cleaning and skinning is not fun to do honest, but I think I would be much better the second time, and the third time, fourth time......
    Though if you do not want to do it you can always find someone to do it for you. My brother in law hunts deer, and takes it to the butcher who cuts it up for him. Deer sausage takes awesome! Its great because it is so lean you can add all kinds of fat!

When I am older I would love to live somewhere where I can hunt for most of my own food, or at least have chickens

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I would also love to kill my own food. It's on my to-do-list.

When I was growing up, I watched my grandmother kill a chicken every Sunday... I'd complain and cry, but then I'd eat it. Seen pigs too. And fishing was too common. Damn I miss Brazil.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I grew up in a hunting family, so I learned at a young age where meat came from. I learned to clean fish by myself when I was 7 or 8. Through the years the animals got bigger, but they're all essentially the same.

Fish were one thing. They're sort of low on the evolutionary scale, so I didn't feel so bad about killing them. Shooting a deer, you're sort of detached because there's space between you (with a gun) and the deer. It's still hard your first time though. Chickens were hard for me, being that you're right there, holding them, having to do the deed. I decided a while back that if I was going to be a meat eater, I'd have to be willing to kill an animal myself.

Not to say that' it's easy (because it's not) but it does become more familiar. I think that if you ever get to the point where you can kill an animal without feeling anything about it, there's a problem. Every time I kill an animal, it's a very spiritual and emotional moment. It makes me really appreciate the food I'm eating.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Pretty fine with it. I'll try to kill and eat the local rabbits but they're faster than I am so I stopped trying. It's kind of irritating how these days if you try to stab bunny rabbits in the head all of the bleeding heart hippie vegetarians think you're some monster when you're just being yourself and trying to have a more delicious life. In my eyes humanity has supremacy over the less contemplative and self-conscious species and while I don't like to see an animal suffer, that is simply a mis-firing of evolutionarily cognitive adaptation that originally held true for humans and for a good reason, because humans need to treat each other well or else humans make life worse for the rest of humanity and themselves . I'm fine with who I am, I don't need to seize every single damn opportunity to be caring and compassionate to every single insignificant entity on the planet so I can feel smug about the value system that I have arbitrarily adopted and followed. Killing and eating animals makes life better for humans and I encourage every human who loves to kill and eat animals to kill and eat as many as you can and grow stronger. And make sure to share with your fellow humans so that we may all benefit and grow stronger and happier as a community.

Maybe I need a bow or something.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal hunter View Post
    Hello Helen, I am a freedive spearfisherman. I hunt underwater, there is nothing more primal than hunting and killing your own food. I show great respect to the animals and try to be as humane as possible. Find the quickest ways to kill the chickens and go to it. Good luck
    Hector
    You're awesome.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Pretty fine with it. I'll try to kill and eat the local rabbits but they're faster than I am so I stopped trying.
    LOL you are horrible.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

peril is offline Senior Member
    I try to fish every weekend from my kayak. Did no good this morning but I often bring home a feed. Very satisfying being able to provide for the family in such a simple and direct way. Also, I have no problem bleeding, killing and cleaning the fish - some fish need to be bled otherwise the flesh becomes tainted

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This reminds me of Dr. Harris' latest post. http://www.paleonu.com/

He looks so sinister. Nice shot by the way.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast