Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The insanity of our disposable way of life page 4

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    okay Laz, a photo on that 'All Black' Harley in your 'All Black' leather gear - or it didn't happen !!!!!!!!!!!!
    ******just so you can indulge a couple of old cougars******
    I find this hedonistic post ironically funny considering the topic.
    nihil

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Derp, that M.A. quote is brilliant.

What now seduces the masses are flashing colored lights and the desire for connection.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    The problem is that many (most?) people have lost sight of the important, meaningful things in life. I have a cousin, my age, who before she got married used to visit from Europe once a year, mainly so she can shop. "OMG, you have stuff so cheap over here!" I never could understand that, and she is an intelligent and educated person with a degree in political science out of all things.

My cellphone is 2 years old, my desk top PC, 4. Few months ago I sold my almost new SUV, and got smaller, much older sedan. I figured I could get rid of an unnecessary monthly payment, interest and all the extra expenses associated with a vehicle of this type. I'm much better off for it.
    Look what has happened to Christmas, it's ridiculous. Do people need to spend that much money they don't even have?

Instead of accumulating unnecessary junk I prefer to save any disposable income, so in the near future I could afford a very simple lifestyle where I won't have to work unless it's for sustaining my basic needs. Besides, traveling, visiting beautiful places with an air of history about them is far more important to me.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Derp, that M.A. quote is brilliant.

What now seduces the masses are flashing colored lights and the desire for connection.
    Sadly, this is how everyone judges your worth as a person. They don't get to know you personally, without judging you first for your monetary value. Because it's appropriate:

nihil

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have a flip-top phone, too. I never answer it. I don't check the messages. I don't call people back. Too bad. My truck is a 1994. My dad bought it. I've never actually bought a car in my life and I'm 48! I don't own a house, though, either. I'm the worst consumer ever and I probably don't even have any credit rating. I have bought motorcycles though, brand new. I have a 2005 Vespa ET4. Cost way too much but I ride it every day. My computer is 13 years old. I have to turn off javascript sometimes in order to visit some sites that have too many moving gee-gaws. Some annoying sites hide all the content if you turn off javascript so I just view source and read the article in the source code. Fuck them and their ads and a hundred stupid popup sign up like me tweet me bullshit.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Sadly, this is how everyone judges your worth as a person. They don't get to know you personally, without judging you first for your monetary value. Because it's appropriate:

I heard of a study in which women judged men more positively by the branding of clothing they wore. Its depressing if true, that how much money you spend on a label, is interpreted as how valuable a human you are.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, I got my cell phone like, four years ago? It's still the same one, poking along and doing what it needs to do... which is largely nothing. I only got it for work. My car has 150,000 miles on it and I bought it used.

I AM a sucker for fine jewelry. I figure I can justify it as future currency, though.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I find this hedonistic post ironically funny considering the topic.
    hahahahahahahahaha - thanx Derp my boy. I love a good laugh !!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I totally agree....
    And it isn't only Apple devices. Look at mobile phones from any brands. The batteries grow bad after 1,5 years of use. Lucky for the providers that's just about the time you need a new contract with them... So you buy the new phone and a very expensive contract!!!

Do you know how much time and money is spend on recycle commercials!! They would be completely unnecessary if electronics companies made products that actually lasted longer than a year...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When we have meat before us and other food, we must say to ourselves: “This is the dead body of a fish, and this is the dead body of a bird or of a pig, and again, this Falernian [wine] is only a little grape juice, and this purple robe some sheep’s wool died with the blood of a shellfish” … so that we see what kinds of things they are. This is how we should act throughout life: where there are things that seem worthy of great estimation, we ought to lay them bare and look at their worthlessness and strip them of all the words by which they are exalted. For the outward show [of things] is a wonderful perverter of reason, and when we are certain the things we are dealing with are worth the trouble, that is when it cheats us most

-Marcus Aurelius
    From his "Meditations", correct? One of my favorite books.

M.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast